Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much tobacco/cigarettes can you bring home from Europe?

Options
  • 15-02-2011 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Italy specifically. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Jimmy the Wheel

As much as you want, as long as it's for your own use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

As much as you want, as long as it's for your own use.

Fraid not.

800 cigarettes from within the EU.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Fraid not.

800 cigarettes from within the EU.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

Nah that's just the Irish revenue chancing their arm:
    Where your purchases of the specific products listed below are equivalent to, or less than, the quantities shown in the table they will, generally speaking, be regarded as for personal use.

What they are saying is 800 cigarettes or less will usually be considered "for personal use" by them; that doesn't mean that more than 800 is illegal.

Legally you can bring as much as you like, but if you try to bring in more than 800 they will confiscate them (illegally) and you will have to get all lawyered up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭raz86

thanks badgermonkey

stupid question, obviously you can't bring cigs and tobacco at the same time if you have the maximum amount of each. just either one or the other right?

@firefly08, what if you're a really heavy smoker?!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Jimmy the Wheel

firefly08 wrote: »

What they are saying is 800 cigarettes or less will usually be considered "for personal use" by them; that doesn't mean that more than 800 is illegal.

Legally you can bring as much as you like, but if you try to bring in more than 800 they will confiscate them (illegally) and you will have to get all lawyered up.

I think over 3200 and they'll confiscate, but, as you say, illegally.

Legally you can carry all you want

• Advertisement

^ there's a huge difference between 800 and 3200 :eek:

have any of you guys brought home cigs/tobacco before? its my first time buying stuff abroad so just wondering about what exactly is considered legal or not. if i can get away with more than 800 cigs and 1kg of tobacco i'll definitely try to bring back more

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from After hours.

firefly08 wrote: »
    Nah that's just the Irish revenue chancing their arm:

So de facto 800.

If stopped at a port of entry who is going to win the argument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Bring back as much as you want within the EU, as mentioned above the 800 is really just a guideline. The government admitted as much that they can not limit the amount as long as it is for personal use. The UK also lifted the 800 limit and replaced it with a guideline of 3200 above which you need to explain
    And justify it is for personal ue only and not for resale.

I always stock up on a couple of thousand at a time when travelling intra-EU.
    Just make sure you have a receipt from the country you bought them in showing that the proper tax and excise was paid on them when bought and that they have the little tax sticker on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

So de facto 800.

If stopped at a port of entry who is going to win the argument?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/no-limit-for-cheap-holiday-cigarettes-and-drink-2096877.html
    Irish people travelling abroad are consistently warned they can only bring back 800 cigarettes and 90 litres of wine with their holiday luggage.

Those going on holidays to places like Spain sometimes take advantage of the much cheaper prices to bring home multi-pack cigarettes and bottles of alcoholic spirits.

But Josephine Feehily, head of the Revenue Commissioners, told the Dail Public Accounts Committee, that cigarettes bought within the EU already have their duty paid on them.

Ms Feehily said although there was a limit advertised at places like ports and airports, it would be extremely difficult for the Revenue Commissioners to prove in court that any number of cigarettes were not for someone's personal use. A spokesman for the Revenue later confirmed the same applied to cheap alcohol bought within the EU. A person could say they were using the alcohol for a wedding or similar event, he added.

• Advertisement

so does everyone really bring back an amount thats well over the limit? what are the chances of having stuff taken off you (as long as you aren't completely taking the piss)?

why have a guideline in the first place if it will be ignored? or can't be implemented. also is it the crowd in italy or cork that will take the cigs off me?

Interesting that there's such a widely held misconception, I may take up smoking just to stick it to 'the man' :D

i was always under the impression you'd be practically arrested for bringing back more than the limit. i certainly wasn't aware of legal loopholes and the like, so thanks to everyone for clearing that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

Moved from After hours.

No

on a slightly unrelated side note, how does the price of tobacco and cigs compare against irish prices? i know its much cheaper, but i dont know by how much. if anyone has purchased in italy it would be great to know what prices i am looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

An interesting yet irrelevant fact is that the de facto limit in the UK and Northern Ireland is 3200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

raz86 wrote: »
    on a slightly unrelated side note, how does the price of tobacco and cigs compare against irish prices? i know its much cheaper, but i dont know by how much. if anyone has purchased in italy it would be great to know what prices i am looking at.

around 4.50 a box you can buy 10's there aswell i loved the novelty

anyone know about the price of tobacco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

raz86 wrote: »
    anyone know about the price of tobacco?
    Can you be a little less vague?

Can you be a little less vague?

The price of rolling tobacco in Italy. We're looking for samson if anyone has bought that before.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement