Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland as part of the UK - Would you 'ave' any of it?

Options
  • 31-01-2011 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Basically, do you agree that had Ireland remained part of the UK, we would not be in such a dire position? Commonwealth countries in general do not exhibit the level of debt we have managed to accumulate over the last few years. Personally, even in light of the atrocities that the irish people encountered due to british opposition, I think we would have been better off tbh. This country has lost pretty much all credibility for many years to come. Untold Damage.

Personally speaking, I would not be too bothered about it. At least the brits probably won't land themselves into 80,000,000,000 euro debt any time soon.

/*Edit - to clear up any misconception. I am an irish Citizan*/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

In Before we have done this subject to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

No.

Do you think the UK would allow Ireland to undercut its corporate tax rate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I wonder if Brits know how to use the search function.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

There.... was a spider in the bath last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Anyone seen Memento? Great movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Sure no country is perfect, and I am not trying to paint the UK as a really wonderful place. The Police Force in Britain can be pretty oppressive from my experience. However, for all pracitical intents and purposes, at least they can manage to keep the place afloat.

/awaits the ANGER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Ah great there hasn't been a thread on this in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Never..Never..Never..

Come on, really..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheGodBen

Naikon wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I would not be too bothered about it. At least the brits probably won't land themselves into 80,000,000,000 euro debt any time soon.
    The UK is currently in debt to over €1 trillion and they're making savage cutbacks in order to get their deficit into line. Do you even pay attention to the news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I'd be for it , but only so long as the 6 counties are kicked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Anyone see my Tesco Club Card?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'd rather be part of our other neighbour, the USA. Then we could all move to Hollywood and get rich and famous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Hasn't it gotten cold? Flip, I can't believe how cold it's gotten...

(trying really hard to change this subject...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

Oranage2 wrote: »

I believe it's called "TescoS."

Oranage2 wrote: »

I haven't see it no, did ya try looking under the cushions of the couch, that's usually where you find it!

Shams wrote: »
    There.... was a spider in the bath last night

Is it still there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Jesus, open up an Irish history book. Didnt really work out for us the last time.

I'd prefer if every man, woman and child in ireland died of hunger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Is it still there?

Too Scared to look!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well maybe not have be part of Uk but what I dont want is Ulster back.

We cant manage 26 counties, god help us if we ever get North back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The UK can spent a huge sum of our debt on an aircraft carrier and the planes and staff to go with it.

Better off without them

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

What has being in the commonwealth got to do with anything? The UK is still our largest trading partner. It wouldn't make any difference if we had closer ties.
    Also, Australia is in the middle of their own property bubble and although banks are well regulated in Canada, that country is seriously indebted. Ontario has a higher debt than that money pit called California. http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/03/california-usa-vs-ontario-canada-which_29.html

Unless your plan is to emulate those other commonwealth economic goliaths such as Swaziland, Tanzania, Pakistan or Botswana. Don't forget the trillion pound the UK owes.

Jesus, open up an Irish history book. Didnt really work out for us the last time.

At least we have an illusion of human rights now. Fact is, any country which has a means to exploit other countries will do so. China will screw us next, following the reduction of influence by the USA. What if Ireland was in the UK's position at the time? We would have done exactly the same, without question!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Basically, do you agree that had Ireland remained part of the UK, we would not be in such a dire position? Commonwealth countries in general do not exhibit the level of debt we have managed to accumulate over the last few years. Personally, even in light of the attrocities that the irish people encountered due to british opposition, I think we would have been better off tbh. This country has lost pretty much all credability for many years to come. Untold Damage.

Would you 'ave' any of it?

Any of wot, guv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Sometimes I feel like saying yes we should have stayed in the UK just to wind people up

Guill wrote: »

Any of wot, guv?

Ireland as part of the UK:

AGREE?

OR

DISAGREE?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Would I get a better price for my sperm in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Ireland as part of the UK:

AGREE?

OR

DISAGREE?

:p

I think we have the policies going foward.

Our fundamentals are strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

• Advertisement

I think we have the policies going foward.

Our fundementals are strong.

I can only give direct responses to questions asked imo. Counts me out for politics I guess...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement