Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD as boot drive question

Options
  • 12-01-2011 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I have a 40gb Intel SSD as my boot drive with a 1tb hard drive for everything esle. I am just wondering should the ssd be just for windows 7 or if download the likes of anti virus, c cleaner, itunes etc will I put them on my ssd or the 1tb hd?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Should be plenty, iTunes' library usually ends up taking up more room than the application itself (downloaded podcasts, apps etc) so you may have to do some housekeeping every now and again

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Set your drive controller to AHCI, disable superfetch, prefetch and bootfetch, disable indexing, move your page file to another drive, disable hibernation, make sure Trim is enabled, disable defrag and move your temporary files to another drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Set your drive controller to AHCI, disable superfetch, prefetch and bootfetch, disable indexing, move your page file to another drive, disable hibernation, make sure Trim is enabled, disable defrag and move your temporary files to another drive.

lol and how do I do all that haha

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If you have and SSD and do a fresh install Windows 7 it does some of this for you such as disabling defrag and some of the fetching strategies(which ones depends on your SSDs exact performance).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

Some of the SSD optimisation around are of dubious enough value for newer generation of SSDs IMO, although things I would definately do are disable the various fetching strategies, diabling defrag, moving temp files and other crap that could accumulate. I think pretty well everything else is a matter of weighing up the pros and cons of disabling the feature first.

Personally I think that people get way too paranoid about SSD drive wear, simply take a few simple measure to ensure that the drive does not fill up with crap, leave a good chunk of free space for the SSDs wear leveling algorithms to operate with and enjoy the performance benefits of your SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Intel also have a nice little utility that'll scan your SSD and can auto-configure some stuff for you.

Regarding apps.. I generally just put stuff on it that I use regularly and I want to load/respond faster than usual.

Other things I put on a regular hdd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Great advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Another handy tweak I found is to move Firefox's temp files to your RAM. Your RAM usage spikes (obviously) when you open FF, but it's a good deal snappier.

Open FF -> about:config -> browser.cache.disk.enable to FALSE -> New -> Integer -> browser.cache.memory.capacity -> Set size in KB (eg. 262144 for 256MB).

With my SSD, I did the above, disabled Prefetch, kept Super Fetch, disabled Shadow Copies, and Temp Files, disabled Hibernation and System Restore, and disabled Pagefile. I was going to re-enable it on another drive, but why give yourself that bottleneck? This way you're only reading from RAM, and not waiting on a slow-as-hell-by-comparison HDD.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-Utilities-

Might find that useful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Serephucus wrote: »
    Another handy tweak I found is to move Firefox's temp files to your RAM. Your RAM usage spikes (obviously) when you open FF, but it's a good deal snappier.

Open FF -> about:config -> browser.cache.disk.enable to FALSE -> New -> Integer -> browser.cache.memory.capacity -> Set size in KB (eg. 262144 for 256MB).

With my SSD, I did the above, disabled Prefetch, kept Super Fetch, disabled Shadow Copies, and Temp Files, disabled Hibernation and System Restore, and disabled Pagefile. I was going to re-enable it on another drive, but why give yourself that bottleneck? This way you're only reading from RAM, and not waiting on a slow-as-hell-by-comparison HDD.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-Utilities-

Might find that useful.

Don't see the point of disabling it completely as the pagefile will only be used agressively memory is getting low, not just because it exists. I mean its is fine if you can be absolute certain that you will never reach 100% memory usage, but if you do hit it and and have no pagefile then your system will crash, as you will have removed the ability of the OS to perform any memory management whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

That's what I thought, but apparently I was wrong. That was how it worked in the XP days, but apparently Vista/7 implement virtual memory differently. Part of it is always used, whether it's needed or not, meaning your memory is only ever as fast as your hard drive.

Also, I have 6GB. Even with Media Player, WLM, Skype, Dropbox, Sidebar, thirty or so FF tabs, a heavily modded Star Trek Bridge Commander, UT3, and Crysis running, I was at 5.1. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My 60GB SSD is barely large enough for my OS and programs. Thought it'd be plenty but it shrank fairly quickly after the extra programs (Photoshop etc) was installed.

So a word of warning. 40GB would get you the OS plus essentials (anti-virus and the usual foray of common programs). Afterwards it'll probably have to be moved onto the 1TB HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

My 60GB SSD is barely large enough for my OS and programs. Thought it'd be plenty but it shrank fairly quickly after the extra programs (Photoshop etc) was installed.

So a word of warning. 40GB would get you the OS plus essentials (anti-virus and the usual foray of common programs). Afterwards it'll probably have to be moved onto the 1TB HD.
    I think 80-100 would be ideal. I don't have an SSD, yet, but i allowed for a 60GB Windows partition which I've now used 52GB after I've cleaned it up a bit. There's no games or nothing on it, Just OS and programs. Wouldn't feel comfortable myself with a 60GB drive.

Ok guys I am a total newbie so bear with me.
    I want to now download other apps like steam, maybe paddypower poker etc but it isnt giving me the option to install on my 1tb drive other than my ssd how to I change this?

funnyclub wrote: »
    Ok guys I am a total newbie so bear with me.
    I want to now download other apps like steam, maybe paddypower poker etc but it isnt giving me the option to install on my 1tb drive other than my ssd how to I change this?
    I've just ran the installer for steam. Click "Browse" when you see it. It allows you to change the destination folder. Most installers have this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

You may have to choose the advanced or custom option in other installers to install it to a location other than the C drive.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    You may have to choose the advanced or custom option in other installers to install it to a location other than the C drive.
    Quite right. Some installers by default might put it somewhere like C:\Program Files. It's always a good idea to read the dialogue boxes instead of just clicking "next" all the time

Tnx lads.
    So in my mechanical drive should I set up folders like my documents, music, videos etc like the ssd has?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Right click the folder, properties, location and change it to your 1tb drive

Tnx lads.
    So in my mechanical drive should I set up folders like my documents, music, videos etc like the ssd has?
    Yeah. Then go to each of the libraries, right click -> Propertiess -> Include a folder. Select the folder you created on your HDD for that library. Remove the old one (the one on the SSD) then delete it (might as well).

• Advertisement

Yeah. Then go to each of the libraries, right click -> Propertiess -> Include a folder. Select the folder you created on your HDD for that library. Remove the old one (the one on the SSD) then delete it (might as well).

I am finding it hard to delete the old folder its saying "youll need to provide admin permission to delete this folder help please?

I have also lost the old folder icon how can I get it back.

I am finding it hard to delete the old folder its saying "youll need to provide admin permission to delete this folder help please?

I have also lost the old folder icon how can I get it back.
    Oh. It's not UAC is it? If not you probably have to go to the folder properties and edit the permissions to allow full control for the current user (you). I am not on windows atm, so I cannot check this.

Someone told me today that over time the ssd will fill with all internet files from surfing is this true?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Some game saves get borked if the original folder is not on the C: drive, such as Mass Effect :(

Some game saves get borked if the original folder is not on the C: drive, such as Mass Effect :(
    Fair enough. There could be a easy solution to it, but this should work:
    http://dereenigne.org/computers/windows/ntfs-junction-points

If you install the game on your d drive(1 tb hd) and your OS is on your c cdrive(ssd) your saying there will be issues with games?

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's what I thought, but apparently I was wrong. That was how it worked in the XP days, but apparently Vista/7 implement virtual memory differently. Part of it is always used, whether it's needed or not, meaning your memory is only ever as fast as your hard drive.

Also, I have 6GB. Even with Media Player, WLM, Skype, Dropbox, Sidebar, thirty or so FF tabs, a heavily modded Star Trek Bridge Commander, UT3, and Crysis running, I was at 5.1. :)

I started off to make a quick reply, but got a little carried away (Also off topic so sorry OP :) )

With with 6Gb you are sorted anyway :pac:, although in general I really don't think there is much of a performance difference between an enabled and disabled paging file. Depending on your usage patterns and amount of Ram etc it may work out better for some and worse for others. As you have never had a problem of course theres is no need to change anything.

The main point I wanted to make is that Windows 7(and Vista) memory management is really quite sophisticated and works in broadly the same manner whether you are using a pagefile or not.

It essentially operates by the creed 'Empty Ram = wasted RAM'. and actively tries to keep your RAM as full as possible at all times (It does not appear full in Task manager, why will become clear in a minute)

While the full story is more complicated (And way beyond my knowledge level) Win 7 RAM usage can be roughly broken down into 6 basic parts Kernel memory (pageable and non pageable), the Process Working Set, the Standby list, the modified List, the zero page list and the free page list.
    • Kernal memory (not really a correct or fully accurate term, but it will suffice for the purpose of this post) contains system related memory pages some of which are non pageable (critical parts that cannot ever be moved out of physical memory) and some of which are pagable (Can be moved out of RAM out like any normal process).

• The Process Working Set contains all the active memory pages in use at the moment by various application (some of this is shared and some of this private to individual processes)

• The Standby lists contain unmodified pages which are no longer in the active working set of a process and have been made available for use by other processes if required, but the contents are still stored in physical RAM, which effectively makes the Standby list a RAM cache (AFAIK this is also where Superfetch loads to when enabled).

• The Modified page list contains pages that have been modified but not yet saved back to disk by the owning process, when these pages have not been accessed for some time they are also removed from the process working set.

• The Zero page list contains pages that have been initialized to zero, ready for use when the memory manager needs a brand new page.

• The Free page list tracks memory pages that were previously allocated and returned to the memory manager for reuse (such as by a process closing). These ultimately get put back on the zero page list as required.

Kernel memory and working set make up the currently 'In Use' Ram, however sometimes the memory manager must 'trim' the working set of a process (or pageable kernel memory) for a number of reasons such as the the process reaching it memory limit, or has become inactive for some reason. During trimming pages deemed less likely to be used are moved out of the working set.

Regardless of whether or not you have a pagefile or not, these trimmed pages go to either the standby list if unmodified, or the modified list if they have been written to (Both lists are still on physical memory). Pages in the modified list are usually copied out to the pagefile and then moved to the standby list making them available for use by any process again.

Pages can remain in the Standby list for a very long time as they are generally not removed unless that memory is needed for some other process. One of the main benefits of this approach is that it the process subsequently goes looking for a page after it has been trimmed from the working set, then unless RAM is running low it is very likely that it will still exist in the standby cache. This is known as a 'soft' page fault because the page only has to be restored from RAM, not disk, this is the main type of page fault in a system.

The free page list consist of unallocated memory or previously allocated memory that has been returned to the memory manager. Pages from here ultimately get zeroed and moved to the zero page list for when the manager required new pages. It is only if a process goes looking for a page that is now on the free or zero page list (or not in memory at all) that a 'hard' page fault will be generated and a disk read will be required.

When the memory manager needs memory it goes looking for it in this order, zero page list -> free list -> standby list -> working sets, so it is only if no other free memory is available that the standby list gets raided. (There are actually three priority levels that make up the standby list, the lowest rung of are for pages preloaded by the likes of superfetch if enabled, which will get reclaimed if needed by the memory manager before any pages on the standby list that belong(ed) to currently running process)

The reason why I don't believe disabling the pagefile gives much of give a performance boost is because RAM is always nearly full regardless as a result of this approach.

Here is a very rough breakdown of what is on my RAM at the moment, I have 4GB or Ram and am also using a 4GB pagefile (Using Perfmon tool) .I have rounded off a little so it doesn't exactly add up to to 4Gb :)

In Use
    Process Working Set - 1.3 Gb
    System memory (paged + unpaged) - 300Mb

Available
    Standby List - 2.1+ GB
    Modified Page list - 45MB
    Free + Zero list 200 MB

Despite the memory being reported as having roughly 2.3-2.4 GB available (standby + Free + Zero + modified), you can see the I have only 200MB of genuinely unused RAM on on the free and zero list, and a little over half of my RAM is being used by the standby list as a cache. Out of curiousity have also been monitoring Page Reads using Perfmon (these are caused by 'hard' page faults) over the course of the evening and have had exactly zero thus far.

Technically with no pagefile you may even be reducing your useable ram slightly, because with a pagefile enabled, pages on the modified list are usually paged out to the pagefile for later writing to disk. However without a page file these must remain on the modified list indefinately (until saved and written to disk) , as they have nowhere else to go and may be blocking RAM from process that may have a more pressing need. For users with large amount of RAM this is not a problem as it is.

If anyone has actually got as far as this sentence, congratulations for not dying of boredom. :p

Advertisement