Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO choices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Still very undecided. So far I have:

1. Engineering TCD
    2. Computer Science TCD
    3. Engineering UCD
    4. Engineering DCU
    5. Engineering NUIG
    6. Computer Science UCD

(Can't remember the order of the last few and the site is down at the moment).

They don't really make sense in terms of points though. I'll probably change them around later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Deedeecupcake

1: Primary Teaching - CICE
    2: Primary Teaching - Marino
    3: Primary Teaching - Pats
    4: Primary Teaching - Freobel
    5: Early Childhood Education and Care - Carlow IT

And then I'm stuck! I don't want to do anything but primary teaching and I'm pretty confident of my first choice (375) but there's that little voice in my head telling me I need a back up! I'm thinking something along the lines of science or forensics, random I know. My headmaster keeps trying to push me towards second level teaching, but I have no desire at all to teach teenagers *shudders* :D
    I'm filling in level 6+7's for the fun of it. Thinking along the lines of early child ed in cit and analytical science in Carlow. :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Been advising loads of lil 6th years atm so thought I'd share my wisdom with you guys too! Mods if you want to move or delete this go ahead and I apologise for whatever I did! :)

1. Do not not put down a course because teh points are too high. In fact don't even look at the points for your choices of 1 - 9. I'm sure you've all been told this 1,000 times but just put everything in your order of preference. Whatever course appeals to you most is number 1. i don't care if it's 20 points or 600! (I have just had to kill someone for doing the opposite of this so clearly some people still don't know this!)

2. Always have a back up of some sort. One course at number 10 that is attainable no matter what. If you're aiming for a certain profession something that can be a backdoor into this is the perfect number 10. Arts would be one of the best bets: can get you into psychology, law, teaching, etc. Science is also common for medicine and Vetinary. Things can go wrong and you may end up disappointed so try save yourself ending up with 0 options and keep yourself a back up.

3. Don't forget that the decision that you make now is not your final decision. You still have 5 months to change your mind as much as you want. In fact after the exams is nearly the best time as you will have a better idea of how your exams actually went.

4. When researching courses look at everything! Obviously the main thing is what the course entails but also look at the college, how you would get there (commuting, moving up), how you feel about the campus, anybody who you have met there. And most importantly when looking at courses go into deeper detail than just the main information. Find out what modules you will actually be studying, are they the kind of thing that you would be interested in in that subject? Are you given options within modules? Find people who have done the course too to get a genuine opinion of it. Someone who knows exactly what it's like. Sometimes the big difference for people between the same course in two different places is what modules you are offered and that can be the difference between which would suit you more.

5. Don't panic. There is no point in this at all! CAO is not the end of the world. it's just another one of those annoying bumps that 6th year likes to bring!

6. if you don't get what you hoped for don't give up. That's what your back up is for and remember that there is a back door into everything. this time next year no one will care what points you got. You will be in the course you chose and in a few years you will have the degree/diploma/certificate/whatever to prove that you did it! Trust me it's not worth the stress at the end of it!

7. If this time next year what you thought to be the perfect CAO choice turns out to be a disaster. Tell someone! Don't suffer because you made your choice. Drop out and find something better for you. So many people only realise when they start their course that it's not what they thought it would be. Don't be ashamed

This is all coming from personal experience from doing this all myself 2 years ago and the results I got from it. I don't want to see anyone disappointed because they didn't get their choice from silly mistakes or ending up with nothing.

Also I'm sure there's a couple of potential Law students here and I would hugely suggest putting down Arts in Maynooth as your number 10! It saved me after a disaster of a leaving cert! I was absolutely gutted on results day and if it wasn't for my number 10 I have no clue where I would be! Luckily for me that was the year that Maynooth decided to offer Law as an Arts subject! I'm now a 2nd year Law and History BCL student and I could not be happier!

If anyone has any CAO, LC, College, NUI Maynooth, Law, or Law through Arts in maynooth questions feel free to PM me! I'm happy to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Is 5 chocies too few? (Level 8) - no level 6's or 7's and i'm going to look into the Guards too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Keano! wrote: »
    Is 5 chocies too few? (Level 8) - no level 6's or 7's and i'm going to look into the Guards too

Well, I got offered my 5th Choice last year. You would be alot safer having all 10 down. Incase an exam or two went pear shaped, which is what happened me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

still a bit confused with the last 2/3 but the rest are good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Is there some rule that you have to have a course down now i.e you can rearrange the order but come June you cant add a new course.

paddy978 wrote: »
    Is there some rule that you have to have a course down now i.e you can rearrange the order but come June you cant add a new course.

Not at all. You can chop and change courses as much as you want!
    Only exceptions would be those like music etc that involve an interview or have a pre-exam results requirement!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Not at all. You can chop and change courses as much as you want!
    Only exceptions would be those like music etc that involve an interview or have a pre-exam results requirement!

And medicine because of the Hpat.

And medicine because of the Hpat.

Sorry meant to mention that too!
    It kind of came under pre-results requirement! :)

But thats only if you add medicine after isn't it? as long as you've done the Hpat I think you can change around choices. Someone should prob double check that though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

But thats only if you add medicine after isn't it? as long as you've done the Hpat I think you can change around choices. Someone should prob double check that though

As long as you have medicine somewhere in your 10 choices, by the Feb deadline, you can move it up and down until July 1st. If you've UCC Medicine on your list, you can't add NUIG medicine after the Feburary closing date, for example!

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    As long as you have medicine somewhere in your 10 choices, by the Feb deadline, you can move it up and down until July 1st. If you've UCC Medicine on your list, you can't add NUIG medicine after the Feburary closing date, for example!

grand that's what I thought :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭paddy978

Say for Business or Arts though, I dont have NUIG down now but in June can I add them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

paddy978 wrote: »
    Say for Business or Arts though, I dont have NUIG down now but in June can I add them.

Yeah you can do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

1) bis ucc
    2) arts

really wanted to put down bis in galway down as 2 as its lower points but am not allowed:mad::(

1) bis ucc
    2) arts

really wanted to put down bis in galway down as 2 as its lower points but am not allowed:mad::(

It's you CAO! You choose your order!
    Don't order it by points though! Order it in the order you would prefer to do them! So if you would rather do arts have arts no. 1, if you would rather business have that no. 1!

It's you CAO! You choose your order!

Unfortunately it's my parents paying for it, so ultimately they have the choice what college I go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭ct89

Great Choice Lads:

AL044 Real Estate (Valuation and Management)

Unfortunately it's my parents paying for it, so ultimately they have the choice what college I go to.

One bit of advice: Don't let your parents decide what course you do. They may be paying but it's your life and you're the one who will be studying. Don't be miserable just because your parents are paying. You're nearly an adult, possible already are therefore your decisions are your own

One bit of advice: Don't let your parents decide what course you do. They may be paying but it's your life and you're the one who will be studying. Don't be miserable just because your parents are paying. You're nearly an adult, possible already are therefore your decisions are your own

It would take me 6 grand a year (estimate: fees + accomodation + money for books and living money). I don't have that kind of money so I'd be relying on my parents and would feel it would be unfair of me to put pressure on them.

However BIS is the only course I want to do, so if I don't get BIS in cork I'll be stuck with a piss around arts degree unfortunately. :mad:

• Advertisement

It would take me 6 grand a year (estimate: fees + accomodation + money for books and living money). I don't have that kind of money so I'd be relying on my parents and would feel it would be unfair of me to put pressure on them.

However BIS is the only course I want to do, so if I don't get BIS in cork I'll be stuck with a piss around arts degree unfortunately. :mad:

I'm not telling you to pay for yourself but you can't let your parents decide your future! You tell them what courses you want to do not the other way round! If they want you to do well they will pay no matter what and the costs will be similar enough wherever you go! I hate having to let my parents pay for my education and I try use my own money as much as possible but I know in the end of the day my parents don't mind paying when they know I'm getting the best degree that i can for myself! :)

I've seen people absolutely miserable because they did what their parents wanted them to do instead of what they did and if I can possibly help stop someone make the same mistake I'm gonna try! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

I'm not telling you to pay for yourself but you can't let your parents decide your future! You tell them what courses you want to do not the other way round! If they want you to do well they will pay no matter what and the costs will be similar enough wherever you go! I hate having to let my parents pay for my education and I try use my own money as much as possible but I know in the end of the day my parents don't mind paying when they know I'm getting the best degree that i can for myself! :)

I've seen people absolutely miserable because they did what their parents wanted them to do instead of what they did and if I can possibly help stop someone make the same mistake I'm gonna try! :)

Got to admit that's a solid piece of advice!
    It's also worth mentioning if you don't get BIS & do get stuck with arts,people who do arts that aren't really interested in it tend to drop out.
    Galway also wouldn't have to be the only place to do such a course Trinity, UCD & Limerick all have similar courses with different names!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 snausbaby

Hi

my daughters school councilor has finally returned to school this week and advised the class yesterday that they can only apply for one course per college.

Looking at some of the early posts I note that some people of listed more than one course at a particular college.

Her first and second choices wd be a level 8, and subsequently a level 7 at the same college.

Would this be okay? There are specific reasons her preferences are local.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

snausbaby wrote: »
    Hi

my daughters school councilor has finally returned to school this week and advised the class yesterday that they can only apply for one course per college.

That is complete and utter nonsense. If you want you can put all 10 down for the same college and that is the same with Level 7 & 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Hi

That's rubbish. Of course she would be allowed put down more than one course per college.

If I were you i'd report the councilor to the school as someone that clueless could certainly destroy the futures of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

ruadhan wrote: »
    No I wasn't there. What were they saying? All about two years in Boston and stuff? That's what attracts me mainly to it

yeah the years away in america plus the employment opportunities are great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I put down
    1. computer enterprise - dcu
    2.business information systems - nci
    3.business computing - dit

I don't like dit that much not sure what else I'll put yet

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mozzypuffs

Im really interested in History and Geography and biologly!

1. DN210 Archaeology and Geology
    2. CK101 Arts
    3. DN500 Arts - Archaeology / Greek and Roman Civilisation
    4. GY101 Arts
    5. GY310 Marine Science
    6. GY308 Environmental Science
    7. DN200 Science - Biological, Biomedical and Biomolecular Sciences
    8. MH101 Arts
    9. TR112 Ancient History and Archaeology/History

They are mine so far, need 1 more.

Does anyone know if any college does a course in Egyptian History, or is it just Roman And Greek?

I have no Level 7/6 down yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Hi

She must have misunderstood, that'd be a shockingly uninformed thing for a councillor to say.

Anyway, I've finished up the CAO now until the Change of Mind date, I'm fairly happy with it! :)

1. Medicine (NUIG).
    2. Med (UCC).
    3. Med (TCD).
    4. Med (UCD).
    5. Med (RCSI).
    6. Radiation Therapy (TCD).
    7. Pharmaceutical and Industrial Chemistry (UL - might swap this one to number 8)
    8. Physics with Medical Physics (NUIG - might swap to 7...).
    9. Medicinal Chemistry (TCD).
    10. Nothing yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

jumpguy wrote: »
    10. Nothing yet...

Arts? :p

Advertisement