Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dark-sky locations in Ireland

Options
  • 02-01-2011 11:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40

Hi,
    I have been searching around online to try find info on where people think the best locations are for dark-skies. Haven't found anything so this seems lika a good place to start!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I imagine the Burren would be pretty good, flat and empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

The most amazing sky I have ever seen on this island was from brow head.
    I often camp there during mid-summer and the views of the southern summer sky are breath taking, with the glories of the central milky way clearly visible right down to the horizon. The land rising to the north also blocks any light from inland.
    The nearby lighthouses are a bit annoying so I guess it wouldn't take the "trophy" but it comes dam close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I go to either the Comeragh Mountains, or to An Rinn (Local gaeltacht here). Both are pitch black. Can see the milky way crystal clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Allihies in Cork is pretty dark, and good clear skies too. that little bit further south too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭waldo

It depends on what direction you want to look/photograph, but for southerly views of the Milky Way, south Waterford, Wexford or West Cork should be good. This map is old, but will link/image will give you a good idea.

http://www.oarval.org/UE-LP.htm

I'm hoping to try and replicate this photo in West Cork later this year.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwallace/5281627074/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Waldo do you mind me asking where in Wexford? I' living there and have missed quite a lot of the big events due to clouds and Fog (this morning):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭waldo

Dark sky locations are only relevant on clear nights, so you'll also need to weather gods in your favour!

In wexford anywhere on the south coast (from Bannow Bay to Kilmore Quay) should give you good views (albiet for summer southerly views of the Milky Way).

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Ah the Weather Gods. . . . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 drbeatz

I hear this location in kerry just of bana beach is quite good. I know one of the astronomy clubs has some of there outings here so surely that a good sign!

52.33547,-9.832292

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=52.33547,-9.832292&num=1&t=h&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=3.963637,4.623813&ie=UTF8&ll=52.335431,-9.832131&spn=0.00491,0.006094&z=17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

According to a few resources I've used, including http://www.lightpollution.it/worldatlas/pages/fig1.htm and manipulation of some ISS images of Ireland at night, I have a few suggestions as to where there are locations with little or no light pollution, and where the local landscape would make for good stargazing.

The Belmullet Peninsula is low light pollution and the nearby mountains should not encroach too much on the horizon. The best horizon views would be to the southwest. It may be a bit windy up here too..

Achill Island may be a better spot for getting a clearer south to south-east horizon, but Croaghan and Sliabh Mor may cause horizon problems to the west and the north if you are at Keel beach or slightly west of there. Minaun hill does get in the way to the south east. (I have access to a house here, and there are good dark conditions for sure up there).

The burren is a favoured spot for the Shannonside guys, though I know that on certain nights it is possible to see the light domes from Ennis, Limerick and Galway. Overall pretty good dark skies, and good horizon possibilities as well.

Kerry has a lot to offer, but it's hard to find a good flat area without mountains interfering with the southern horizon. Around Valentia does look good for southern visibility and there shouldn't be too much in the way of light pollution.

The Bog of Allen offers dark enough skies in places.

Here's one of the better night-time pics of Ireland showing the levels of light pollution.
    ireland-fix-small.jpg

Zenith brightness is seen here:
    eumagtot.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 drbeatz

Thanks Popoutman!!

Advertisement