Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map My Ride or wha?

Options
  • 01-06-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have been using map my ride now for a few years however I find it slow and cumbersome if routes are over 150km or so. I was plotting a cycle the other day which was 600km and it took so long I could have ridden most of it by the time I was finished, then when I went to check the elevation it said that it was unable to calculate it. So I'm wondering what others use and if they are any better than mmr? I dont have a garmin or any online cycle computer so am only intrested in freeware programs. Is mmr just as good as the rest or is it worth switching to another program.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I use MMR and occasionally have elevation calculation problems as you post.
    Break the 600k into 4-5 shorter rides.
    I don't use bikeroutetoaster as it simply is too slow and complicated and offer doesn't run for me.

Really like ridewithgps. There is draw route function which is fast and easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I find this one pretty good.

www.ridewithgps.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I've been using BRT for ages, better display of elevation profiles but most importantly it doesn't have any of the annoying ad issues that MMR has.

Just started using this: Bikemap.net after seeing it used on the Sorrento site.

Really clear interface with big colourful icons, quick and fuss-free registration. It's easy to share routes, see what other people have uploaded and even upload them to facebook.

Exporting existing routes as a GPX doesn't require registration like MMR, so if you see a route you like it's only a few clicks. And did I mention, no annoying ads popping up and blocking the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

+1 on ridewithgps.com

Waaaaaay faster than MMR and as Dirk says no friggin' pop ups every two seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I like www.bikehike.co.uk,
    It's easy to use, no registration and no fuss. I haven't tried mapping 600km+ though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Murph100 wrote: »
    +1 on ridewithgps.com.

I dunno if I could use a site that shows up as "Ride with GPS - Map and Anal..." on the tab bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Map My Ride has a new site it keeps offering which is much quicker and so far has no pop up ads. If you like MMR give it a try. I just plotted a 200k route on ridewithgps and was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Thanks everyone,
    Yea, I've been cursing MMR for a while now so when I saw the new web site I thought.. ha, I played the market, went for the long haul investment and it has paid off.... but when I tried it it seemed more of the same, just different graphics. I havent written it off yet as it may be down to interweb connection. that said I just did a quick plot on BikeMap.net and it was easy to use, instantaneus mapping but no % gradient on the elevation reading(which is rough at best but intresting all the same)
    I'm going to test ridewithgps and report back

Tomorrows proposed spin ( fingers crossed ! )

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/84035

However the 34.2% gradient near the top of the pass has me wondering if there was a landslide ! ;)

• Advertisement

Murph100 wrote: »

I see said the blind man:o

That elevation graph looks very simular to what a print out of my heart beat will look like.... wtf is the 34.2% about? Gonna have to bring the camera, plenty of *ahem* photo ops around that climb:pac:

Heh, just a glitch in the maths I reckon, probably would be different if I drew it again.

According to my 705 the Conor Pass is actually 'floating' as its a different altitude everytime I go over it, same with my house !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

@ bould - if it makes you feel any better my latest GPS data says the last 2km or so of the climb are (largely) between 6.4 & 8% with a kick at the top just as you summit. No need for belays or lengths of rope to hoist yourself up a 34% gradient :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    it doesn't have any of the annoying ad issues that MMR has.

And did I mention, no annoying ads popping up and blocking the screen?

Adblock Plus ftw...

Ride with gps it is:D

Just plotted a route in 2-3min which took MMR at least half an hour....

Thanks to all for the assistance.
    @Che- I have driven it a few times and def couldnt remember the +30%... I was thinking that one of Kerrys legendary potholes had been picked up by satellites ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I find this one pretty good.

www.ridewithgps.com

Said id give this a proper go today and im liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I use http://www.endomondo.com which I find pretty quick and handy and you can also export the uploaded file, and use it on http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ to give heights etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I find http://walkjogrun.net much easier to use and quite fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bdb

With the Garmin Edge 500 I've been impressed with Garmin Connect for tracking rides etc, but on a group ride last weekend I was introduced to Strava which is a lot better.

Mostly because it includes segments, and can figure out if others were on the ride with you when you upload.

So you can see personal bests for climbs/descents/sprint points etc.

Pretty cool, only downside is that you have to pay for it after 10 uploads..

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

While training in California I was introduced to Strava. They are big into it over there with people fighting to achieve the various King of the Mountains etc... They also sponsored (a few t-shirts) a hill climb series there (http://lowkey.djconnel.com/2010/) with people who break a Strava KOM in the race getting a t-shirt (Mel and I go one).

I really like it - cool for tracking your PBs on rides/segments etc... and then for comparing against others.

I have started to enter some of the defacto climbs in the Dublin/Wicklow area - it will take a while. I'm not putting in any of my fast data from the past so the KOMs I enter should be attainable for most folk for some time.

See here for some I have entered: http://app.strava.com/segments/search?keywords=&cat=%3E%3D4&location=Dublin%2C+Ireland

Membership is free (you get to upload 5 rides per month for free - the quick ones I guess) or you pay to have unlimited uploads. I have a paid account, my brother has '5 per month' and enters his quick or interesting rides.

This is not (currently) going to replace Ascent (my Mac software for tracking training) or WKO+ for me but it is another cool thing to play with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Now all we need is someone with a little paint to put a marker at the start and end to make them easier to find, although all the climbs I put in have pretty obvious points... i.e. bridges or the road runs out etc.

I remember the talk about the council putting in little placards (like in France) - "Col de Cruagh KOM Start - 5.9km - 320m ascent" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Looks like a nice program - pity there doesn't seem to be a route planning facility on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

While training in California I was introduced to Strava. ....

I really like it - cool for tracking your PBs on rides/segments etc... and then for comparing against others.

I have started to enter some of the defacto climbs in the Dublin/Wicklow area - it will take a while. I'm not putting in any of my fast data from the past so the KOMs I enter should be attainable for most folk for some time.

See here for some I have entered: http://app.strava.com/segments/search?keywords=&cat=%3E%3D4&location=Dublin%2C+Ireland

Membership is free (you get to upload 5 rides per month for free - the quick ones I guess) or you pay to have unlimited uploads. I have a paid account, my brother has '5 per month' and enters his quick or interesting rides.

This is not (currently) going to replace Ascent (my Mac software for tracking training) or WKO+ for me but it is another cool thing to play with.

Been using it a bit myself and find it good - here's the climb's I've added to the list
    http://www.strava.com/segments/search?keywords=&cat=%3E%3D4&location=Kerry%2C+Ireland

Advertisement