Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manga rec?

Options
  • 13-12-2010 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hey, buying a christmas present for a friend. Seventeen year old girl, and she's big into manga and all things japan. I was wondering in terms of manga, what might be something she'd be interested in? Something maybe slightly off the beaten track, cause she's a big japan fan like...

The only things I know she's read are Naruto, Fruits Baskets (?) and Death Note.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Get her some books on Japanese culture and lets see if she's actually interested in Japan and not just being a weeaboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Post-moment apologies for the sarky comment, it's intended to appear lighthearted once other replies start rolling in, which doesn't appear to be happening.

I'm just going to go ahead and reccommend Yotsuba, partially because because I can't think of anything else, but mostly because you'd have be a heartless bastard not to find Yotsuba hilarious, heartwarming and adorable. You've also got a question mark beside Fruits Basket which makes me hesitant to suggest Tsubasa Chronicles, but as far I've seen from other reccommendations, the 2 appear to go hand in hand, if you like one then you'll like the other sort of thing. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Thanks, I'm pretty sure she's seriously into it, speaks it pretty well (she was in the running for some studying scholarship over there last year) and such. Although I know she does read lots of manga in english... I think its hard to get it in japanese here or whatever... whatever reason anyway she doesn't.

The ? beside fruits baskets was only because I wasn't sure if that was the right name :/

But thank you :) The only names of manga I know are apparently terribly mainstream :p

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Yotsuba& can't be recommended highly enough.

If she liked Naruto and Death Note, then One Piece would be a safe bet.
    Numina wrote: »
    Get her some books on Japanese culture and lets see if she's actually interested in Japan and not just being a weeaboo.
    I know plenty of weeaboos with an interest in Japanese Culture.

Advertisement