Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Entire Argos Catalogue From 1985....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Saila wrote: »
    there was a guy who wrote down everything he did and thought for 10 years or something, he died sometime a couple of years ago, and his house was stacked to the roof with boxes of the diary he wrote, must have read like some kind of computer log or something :rolleyes: THAT guy was the king of people with time on their hands :pac:

cant find anything with a quick google though :(

When did Michael Palin die?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

bonerm wrote: »
    What was 20quid worth in todays money? :confused:
    According to this site £20GBP is, using the retail price index, £45.20GBP.

This site is useful for punts up until 1978 as well as the punt and the British pound were parity till then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Orange69 wrote: »

50 Bucks? Now isnt that nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I thought Argos came to Ireland in the late 90s...?

It was, but oddly the catalogue was still very popular down here for years beforehand.

You see people in the Rep.Irl would use the UK catalogue for information purposes and then buy the item whereever they could find it in this country. The catalogue was like internet of its day in terms of consumer information.

So basically it was the opposite of what we do today (i.e. look at the item sitting in an Rep.Irl shop and then buy it online cheaper from some other country).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Saila wrote: »
    there was a guy who wrote down everything he did and thought for 10 years or something, he died sometime a couple of years ago, and his house was stacked to the roof with boxes of the diary he wrote, must have read like some kind of computer log or something :rolleyes: THAT guy was the king of people with time on their hands :pac:

cant find anything with a quick google though :(

Robert Shields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Brilliant! Wincing at the car seats, looks like the child's legs would be snapped off in an impact, ughh.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Friggin' flickr, how do I skip to the toy section already :mad: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Hot topless chick on page 59! Shouldn't it be on page 69?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I had forgotten that our kettle and toaster were brown and had a picture of a wheat grain on it. wtf was that all about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

bonerm wrote: »
    I had this page burnt into my retinas as a small child

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38301877@N05/3593486122/in/set-72157619206330728/

What was 20quid worth in todays money? :confused:

I still have #20...the Speeder Bike. You press a button at the back and it breaks into 3 parts. They were great toys.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Saddo that I am, the first thing I thought was 'Vidjogames!'

And I managed to find some. -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38301877@N05/3592664355/in/set-72157619206330728/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38301877@N05/3593473172/in/set-72157619206330728/

There's some Commodore and Atari stuff a few pages before that too.

OMG...I had one of those Tomytronic "Sky Attack" 3D game. I remember being amazed by the graphics (like something out of Tron). It was my 1st introduction to 3D effects. Loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Back when Star Wars merchandise wasn't crap - Still have a few of them items too!

Good find OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Hey! I bought no. 10 here with a third of my first month's wages to get my typing speed up to 40wpm in order to do a Wang WP course (three consecutive evenings) in the third month at a cost of half my second months wages. By the end of the third month I had got a new job and nearly tripled my annual salary so don't knock them. :D

Love this. Brings back memories.

Every Christmas for about five years we were innundated with orders from home to bring back boxes and boxes of no. 8 - Eternal Beau - with it's distinctive octagonal shape, decorated with delicate pink flowers and lover's knot of ribbons. Even back then I couldn't understand why there was such a demand for it back here in Ireland. :confused: I think we brought back 8 sets one year along with the matching tea towels, serving dishes, tea pots, mugs, candle sticks and God only knows what else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Back when Star Wars merchandise wasn't crap

Funny thing is that the shape and scale of some of the toys in that pix is totally screwed up eg the At-At head and Falcon cockpits are much too big for their bodies. Not to mention most of the ships etc being too small in comparison to the action figures that went in them. However because we didn't have VHS/DVD/BluRays/Internet to make constant visual references the toys became the "correct" shape as that was all we had around us on a daily basis.

Everything in life pretty much becomes a disappointment after you get the Millenium Falcon for your birthday. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

The Millenium Falcon was a bit odd on the inside alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And none of it was made in China.

mike65 wrote: »
    And none of it was made on China.
    No, but some of it was "made in Hong Kong" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Brilliant, thats a keeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've just had a Sam Tyler moment looking through that catalogue.

When I wake up tomorrow, it'll be 1985 and I'll be sitting my Inter Cert Honours Irish exam...in me underware.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭CorsetIsTight

Never mind having the time, Who still has an Argos catolouge from 1985??:confused:

I have the 1988 catalogue :o

The index gives page 275 (of a total of 330 pages) for computer accessories.

There are three items: 10-packs of double-sided double-density 5¼'' diskettes from two different manufacturers and a lockable diskette storage box.

Apart from the size of the catalogue, the thing I noticed most was how very few celebrity endorsements there are; there's a Keith Floyd grill pan, a Paul Daniels kids' magic set, and Stephen Hendry/SteveDavis/Jimmy White snooker cues, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

That My Little Pony alarm clock ........

I want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I have the 1988 catalogue :o

The index gives page 275 (of a total of 330 pages) for computer accessories.

There are three items: 10-packs of double-sided double-density 5¼'' diskettes from two different manufacturers and a lockable diskette storage box.

Apart from the size of the catalogue, the thing I noticed most was how very few celebrity endorsements there are; there's a Keith Floyd grill pan, a Paul Daniels kids' magic set, and Stephen Hendry/SteveDavis/Jimmy White snooker cues, but that's about it.

Upload it for us!!! :D

I want it.

The amount of things in it that i wanted and never got-25 years later and i still want them:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

I want it.

alwaysadub wrote: »

The amount of things in it that i wanted and never got-25 years later and i still want them:pac:

Best part of being a grown up???? :D

you can buy them!!!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,055 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Its cool that they still have the same sort of catalog layout and even the product codes are similar to how they have it today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Everything is so boxy!
    Even footspas have developed in to much more streamlined curvy products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Wonder if Check and Reserve works?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

This is great :)

Stuff that we had from this catalogue:

Commodore 64
    Connect 4
    Mario Handheld Game and Speak & Spell:pac:
    Spirograph!
    Optimus Prime:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
    He-Man
    Toy Garage and Yellow Teapot

There is so much more stuff that I wanted. Mostly Star Wars and A-Team toys tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ZOIDS !!!ELEVENTYMILLION!!!!!

Advertisement