Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Ops Tips Thread

• 11-11-2010 1:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hardline Pro Tip -

This is probably the best perk in the game imo, the pro version lets you change the car package to a random killstreak.

So set you killstreak up as so:

2 Kills: Spyplane
    3 Kills: Sam Turret (if there is air support in the air use it if not double tap X and change it to a random killstreak!
    4 Kills: Care Package (if its ammo are a spyplane change it!)

I'm getting about 6 or 7 care packages a game!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Maybe a mod could change it to "Black Ops Tips Thread" or something similiar, just a thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DJKendo

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Maybe a mod could change it to "Black Ops Tips Thread" or something similiar, just a thought :)

why?

I just thought it would be a cool thread to have a list of tips that people may find useful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

DJKendo wrote: »
    why?

Is this for serious or just internet lulz?? Thought the answer would be pretty obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Unlocked Hardline Pro last night, its so handy but a bit over powered cause im running Sam turret (3) Care package (4) and sentry gun (5) which you can change :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Thread title changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,132 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Rob sent me a video of how to get everyone in the party into a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

When at the menu on the ps l2,r2,l2,r2, he gets out of chair, if you go over to the radio you will get an acheivement called ask me nicely.
    Go over to the computer and you can play "Zork" by typing in zork, then you can play DOA by typing in DOA

If any of ye were familar with DOs growing up, if you type DIR it will bring up a list of files on the pc. some of these are letters to his dad and pictures. Type CAT and the file name and it will display the contents of the file. i. CAT letter to dad.txt and it will display it.

You can also read his emails by typing mail and then typing either 0-9 to read them

Type “3ARC INTEL” to unlock and view all Intel (WARNING: Will disable Closer Analysis Achievement!)

Type “3ARC UNLOCK” to unlock all the Zombies levels

Aftersome digging:

There is also an rlogin command which is intended to login to remote systems but I have yet to find the name of a remote system to attempt a login to.

amason’s password is still “password” so you can always use that to login to the system as well.

More updates to come…

———————————————

UPDATE 2

To login as the following users (which also adds different content to their directory listings) type “LOGIN” as described above and enter the following username / password combos to login as those users and access their files and emails as well.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Terminal Logins (Complete list of CIA and Dreamland logins, still working on 3 home directory users as well as DoD and Derriese system logins)

Username: amason
    Password: password

Username: asmith
    Password: roxy

Username: bharris
    Password: goskins (Thanks Phil Wright!)

Username: dking
    Password: mfk

Username: fwoods (Thanks benbenjiben!)
    Password: philly

Username: gweaver (thanks drcancerman!)
    Password: gedeon

Username: jbowman
    Password: uwd

Username: jfkennedy
    Password: lancer

Username: jhudson
    Password: bryant1950

Username: jmccone
    Password: berkley22

Username: jturner
    Password: condor75

Username: lbjohnson
    Password: ladybird

Username: rhelms
    Password: lerosey

Username: rjackson
    Password: saintbridget

Username: rkain
    Password: sunwu

Username: rnixon
    Password: checkers

Username: tbrooks
    Password: lauren

Username: twalker
    Password: radi0 (Note: That’s a zero on the end)

Username: vbush
    Password: manhattan

Username: wraborn
    Password: bromlow

Usernames with home directories but don’t show up in the “who” listing

hkissinger
    sagnew
    jwalker

——————————————-

UPDATE 3

The rlogin command is almost certainly supposed to be used to login to the “Dreamland” server which requires “MJ-12″ clearance. MJ-12 is a reference to a group created in the 40’s to investigate possible alien interactions with earth after Roswell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majestic_12) but I’m not sure what the deal is here since the password for vbush is manhattan to begin with. (Dr. Vannevar Bush was a member and there is a vbush login, not working for rlogin’ing into dreamland though, yet..)

Type “RLOGIN DREAMLAND” to attempt a login with a username and password.

Found a file in vbush’s home directory called “dlpw.txt”, it’s encoded. You can decode the file by typing this:

decode the string inside dlpw.txt

The password appears to be “MANHATTAN” after decoding the contents.

Dreamland System:

Username: vbush (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vannevar_Bush)
    Password: majestic1

Username: roppen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Robert_Oppenheimer)
    Password: trinity (thanks again drcancerman!)

Username: twalker
    Password: thanksdad (thanks mafiafilms!)
    ——————————

UPDATE 4

Ok, I’m decoding the emails right now, lbjohnson has 2 emails which are encoded (4 and 5) and I am manually decoding them right now, so far the first line in the first encrypted email says…

TO: Johnson, L
    SUBJECT: KOWLOON

PACKAGE LOST

NOVA6 TREAT CONFIRMED

DREAMLAND UPDATED

PROCEEDING TO YAMANTAU
    ———

TO: Johnson, L
    SUBJECT: Mason

MASON DELUSIONAL

HES BEEN MUMBLING ABOUT NUMBERS

BUT AT THIS STAGE THATS ALL WE HAVE

RECOMMEND IMMEDIATE INITIATION

OF FALLBACK OPERATION
    —————————————————-

The hacking continues….more updates to come

—————————————————-

UPDATE 5

Dreamland system accessed using all 3 known usernames and passwords (vbush, roppen, and twalker),

roppen has a bunch of text files containing transcripts of recordings of experiments that are obviously related to zombies and an encrypted file called hai1.txt and it’s contents decrypted say:

GUN IN MY RIGHT HAND
    AND A COLA IN MY LEFT
    BRING ME THE MEATSACKS

File called Radiance.txt in roppen’s home directory is encrypted, here it is decoded:

IF THE RADIANCE OF A THOUSAND SUNS
    WERE TO BURST AT ONCE IN THE SKY
    THAT WOULD BE LIKE THE SPLENDOR
    OF THE MIGHTY ONE

File called hai2.txt decoded:

UNDEAD ALL ABOUT
    SURROUNDED NEED MAX AMMO
    COULD USE A REVIVE

hai5.txt decoded

WENT DOWN TO THE LAKE
    STUMBLED UPON A SECRET
    WILL NOT SLEEP AGAIN

(I’m starting to get real tired of manually decoding these messages, it’s a serious pain in the ass. Note to Treyarch, this is all very cool stuff, but couldn’t you have figured out an easier way for console users to decode these messages? I’m even using the keyboard that attaches to a controller and it’s still annoying, can’t copy and paste to decode or anything like I’m sure PC users can)

Logged into the Dreamland system with twalker

Encrypted lines in Update.txt file in his directory are

CWZGUTCT (“PETER”)
    HVZJZQUZQTTYMPJMRTTQYN (TANK DEMSEY)

(“SIGNED CORNELIUS PERNELL”)
    No emails in twalker’s login, a few back and forth emails between vbush and roppen inside their logins, nothing to mention that’s significant yet.

You can also try these remote system logins

rlogin dod (no logins yet)

rlogin derriese (no logins yet)

rlogin cia (all starting logins work here)

to go back to the starting CIA system.

——————————————————–

UPDATE 6

Ok, so I’ve been going through all the txt files and decoding them and it looks like a lot of the files that actually have data in them are related to zombies, Dr. Maxis, and the story of how it all came to be. I’m not disappointed really, but the text files are just the transcripts of what you hear on the radios in World at War’s zombie mode when you find the radios. To see the transcripts, click here.

I’m now working on getting into the DoD and Derriese systems, I’ve tried the following username and password combos which have so far been unsuccessful (These logins are not confirmed to even exist, I’m just trying them based on probability after seeing the logins for the other systems and also after reading almost every text file I’ve come across.)

rlogin derriese

Possible Username: lmaxis
    Unsuccessful Password Attempts: samantha, sophia, 935, group935, fluffy, hellhound, hellhounds, reichstag, wunderwaffle, zombies, thegiant, giant, doctormax, element115, 115, peter, (still trying)

Possible Username: erichtofen
    Unsuccessful Password Attempts: schnapps, fluffy, thebutcher, butcher

Possible Username: tdemsey
    Unsuccessful Password Attempts: peter, tank, zombies, meatsack, meatsacks

—————————————————–
    UPDATE 7

I’m taking a break from the hacking to actually play the game. Thanks to all you guys who are helping out, keep leavin those comments!

—————————————————–
    UPDATE 8

Rumor has it that rmcnamara (Robert McNamara) is a login on the DoD system. Would make sense but no further details as of yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Press Up, Down, Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A,B,C and Start at the menu to pick any stage you like! even the final boss battle with Dr Robotnik.

You're welcome. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

krudler wrote: »
    Press Up, Down, Up, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A,B,C and Start at the menu to pick any stage you like! even the final boss battle with Dr Robotnik.

You're welcome. :pac:

Thought that was UP, Down, Left, Right A and Start together??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wait what? as in the ones the Hardened edition people paid for? or the dead ops arcade ones? if they're the actual zombie levels I'll be well pissed off,thats the only reason I bought the hardened one.

...well that and the medal, I wear it when I'm playing, makes me feel special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

What??:confused: I thought only a teammate with hardline pro could change it?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Nope, you can yourself. 'nother tip, play with a party and just arrange to give all your care packages to someone you know. :)

Kersmash wrote: »
    Nope, you can yourself. 'nother tip, play with a party and just arrange to give all your care packages to someone you know. :)

Me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Tried typing in Zork on the Wii. All that happens is some text based game comes up.
    Tried typing DOA from within zork and nothing happens.
    Tried DOA outside zork and it says "error reading drive A".

Guess the Wii doesnt have these little mini games!

All the other "CAT" crap was there tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Tried typing in Zork on the Wii. All that happens is some text based game comes up.
    Tried typing DOA from within zork and nothing happens.
    Tried DOA outside zork and it says "error reading drive A".

Guess the Wii doesnt have these little mini games!

All the other "CAT" crap was there tho...

Zork is a text based game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Second Chance Pro is great if you're not doing well in TDM, once you're halfway decent it guarantees an even/positive KDR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

mcgovern wrote: »
    Zork is a text based game.

Ye i know that. I have no interest in it. I was hopin to get into that top down zombie game.

Do you have to complete the single player campaign to get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Ye i know that. I have no interest in it. I was hopin to get into that top down zombie game.

No, just type in DOA(Befor eyou play Zork), but it doesn't work on the Wii.

Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

nope.Deads ops is gettable from the start.Possibly just not on the wii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

I don't know if this is a glitch or if is in the instructions somewhere but if you have ever tried to do a slow motion clip in theater mode its hard to keep a constant speed especially if your going for super slow mo (.01)

Anyway i found that if you hold the trigger slighty and bring the clip up to the speed you want then while holding the trigger press the back button then release the trigger and the clip will continue to play at the last selected speed then just press back again to clear the score board!

Hit x and record.

Pressing play again won't stop the clip tho, you have to first press the trigger again!

Enjoy, and make some Hollywood style action! ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

cronin_j wrote: »

Didn't work for me. It gave the response 'cheat enabled' but I can't access extra zombie levels

Didn't work for me. It gave the response 'cheat enabled' but I can't access extra zombie levels

I seen a Youtube video that shows you how to download the old Zombie maps for free and run them off a usb stick!

Some vids from Woodysgamertag giving his thoughts on the best guns in a class.

SMG's -

(Woodys a fan of the Spectre :D Highly recommend this gun as well.)

Assault Rifles -

craze7 wrote: »
    I seen a Youtube video that shows you how to download the old Zombie maps for free and run them off a usb stick!

Linky ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Linky ?

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

+1
    And + another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Want a high kill score ? Go play some demolition. It is ridiculously easy to get 80+ games, only played it for about 15-20 games but i got 90 kills and 9 deaths twice in a row... only 2 rounds and about 70+ in most of the other games that arent over quickly. Spawns are very limited. Always wondered how people got 100+ kill games regularly, pretty sure 140-150 kills is easily possible with a group of ppl that will let it run to 3 rounds.

Games last AGES !

ANOTHER TIP - DONT BE HOST !! At least on the PS3, ****ing horrible. I was host for 3 or 4 games in a row yesterday, its like playing on 5 fps. Same sort of **** that i got when hosting groundwar in MW2.. only worse and in normal gametypes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Ya but there's no way to avoid being host though is there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Ya but there's no way to avoid being host though is there..
    Press select at the very start of a game and if you see you have 4 dark green bars, just leave!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

To get 150 hipfire kills(hard for me as i never really use shooties or pistols on BLOPS)just find a 24/7 nuketown domination server and use the spas shotgun and you will get them in no time.

Plus its great craic

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    To get 150 hipfire kills(hard for me as i never really use shooties or pistols on BLOPS)just find a 24/7 nuketown domination server and use the spas shotgun and you will get them in no time.

Plus its great craic

Havana. Havana. Oh and Havana.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i started playing dom last night with the following load out, and had great success.

Commando with reflex
    auto pistol as second
    Lightweight Pro
    Slight of Hand Pro
    ninja

in 4 games of 6v6 dom i got over 120 kills :-) and it was my first go with the rifle

to sum up: commando rocks

• Advertisement

Havana. Havana. Oh and Havana.

:cool:

i saw something on machinima yesterday of hip fired g11, he was getting great results

MiCr0 wrote: »
    i started playing dom last night with the following load out, and had great success.

Commando with reflex
    auto pistol as second
    Lightweight Pro
    Slight of Hand Pro
    Ghost Pro

in 4 games of 6v6 dom i got over 120 kills :-) and it was my first go with the rifle

Man thats nothing. I got 2000 kills with the stoner and the hidden invisibility perk:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

If you wanna rank up quickly, play SnD. Great for a good few points for kills, defuses/plants, match bonus etc :)

Kersmash wrote: »
    If you wanna rank up quickly, play SnD. Great for a good few points for kills, defuses/plants, match bonus etc :)

Or HQ in a good team. Depending on other bonuses you get for completing challenges, it's easy to get 20k exp in total per game.

Nova gas is savage imo for the likes of Sabo, Demo or Domination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Pro Tip: Dont try and play with a full party on ps3, it takes all night to get a game :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

how do you play zork? all that comes up is some strange message wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

MiCr0 wrote: »

Commando with reflex
    auto pistol as second
    Lightweight Pro
    Slight of Hand Pro
    Ghost Pro

That's impossible, they're both Perk One options...

upps - sorry that should have been ninja instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Nodferatu wrote: »
    how do you play zork? all that comes up is some strange message wtf?

Zork is a text input game, so when it says there is a message in your mailbox you type open mailbox, then you type read message etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

any tips on getting a good killstreak going? im at 13 at the moment struggling to break it.

im currently using the ak74u with grip and silencer

python with speed reloader

hardline
    warlord
    last stand

any tips?

any tips on getting a good killstreak going? im at 13 at the moment struggling to break it.

im currently using the ak74u with grip and silencer

python with speed reloader

hardline
    warlord
    last stand

any tips?

I or someone else will throw some pointers later on.

But to be short, get rid of last stand/2nd chance. It's a negative mindset to be going in with such a cheap perk. You might get one, maybe two kills at best but effectively it's not helping you build a higher killstreak as such.

Ninja is the no.1 perk to use in the last class slot IMO, that or hacker(I forget if it's in the slot or not). Marathon is handy in objective game modes/big maps in general like Jungle. These perks will help you far more in the long term to building those killstreaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I or someone else will throw some pointers later on.

But to be short, get rid of last stand/2nd chance. It's a negative mindset to be going in with such a cheap perk. You might get one, maybe two kills at best but effectively it's not helping you build a higher killstreak as such.

Ninja is the no.1 perk to use in the last class slot IMO, that or hacker(I forget if it's in the slot or not). Marathon is handy in objective game modes/big maps in general like Jungle. These perks will help you far more in the long term to building those killstreaks.

I don't like Marathon, I guess thats negative and cheap too. :pac:

Second Chance Pro (which is very, very easy to get), can help you keep and add to killstreaks. If you are playing with a group of mates who will revive you, it can help you hang onto that precious killstreak.

I used to use Ninja, but really, I don't see a great benefit to it. For the most part, players move reasonably silently anyways (compared to MW1 for example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I don't like Marathon, I guess thats negative and cheap too. :pac:

Second Chance Pro (which is very, very easy to get), can help you keep and add to killstreaks. If you are playing with a group of mates who will revive you, it can help you hang onto that precious killstreak.

I used to use Ninja, but really, I don't see a great benefit to it. For the most part, players move reasonably silently anyways (compared to MW1 for example).

Second chance is bent and should never have been put in the game. I usually teabag my teammates when they go into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Magill wrote: »
    Second chance is bent and should never have been put in the game. I usually teabag my teammates when they go into it

I wouldnt teabag comrades, id revive. So maybe teabaggin is bent???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,630 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

2nd chance is only used by pussys who are afraid to die and bad players

• Advertisement
Advertisement