Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DesireHD - Can someone give us a review already??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

htcsense.com hasnt worked since release i got it to find my phone once rest of the time it says phone finder disabled!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

htcsense.com hasnt worked since release i got it to find my phone once rest of the time it says phone finder disabled!

I haven't got that to work yet, they must be still working on it. The button to make the phone ring works though, very handy!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

MrGarak wrote: »
    The button to make the phone ring works though, very handy!

I haven't even got that working.

Phone finder is ticked in Location.

What am i doing wrong?

I had to make the account on HTCsense.com and then use the HTC hub app on the phone to confirm details and login, I put my phone number as +35385xxxxxxx because it only had the UK selectable as region.. dunno if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I don't even have the phone & I'm having problems

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭SinLight

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I don't even have the phone & I'm having problems

This just made me laugh so loud people are looking at me in the office like crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Anyone know how to get rid of duplicate SIM card / phonebook contacts? See attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Id like to know this also so if anyone could help it would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

irishbuzz wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get rid of duplicate SIM card / phonebook contacts? See attachment.

there are two ways you get your contacts 1) people app 2) HTC contacts widget (shows your favourites)

In use the people app as a broader contacts resource, for instance when I need to contact someone I don't generally have details for.

For my main contacts I use the HTC widget. On the widget, press the list function, this opens the full app. press menu, press view - and the options for which info appears - chose whatever you want.

• Advertisement

irishbuzz wrote: »

Deleting contacts, From the manual

From the Home screen, tap > People.
    On the All tab, press MENU, and then tap Delete.
    Select the contacts you want to delete, and then tap Delete.
    When prompted, tap OK.

Works very well

Also scroll through your contacts, when u find the one you dont want, hit the menu button, brings up an option to delete, best method ive seen so far, its hard work getting used to the phone

After buying the phone I let the battery run down but not completely, its been 26 hours on its first charge, seems the display is the main culprit when it comes to battery drain

Display.........49% (with brightness turned down to about 40%)
    Android OS....29%
    Cell standby....7%
    Voice calls.......7%
    Phone idle........6%
    Android Sys......2%

2 questions please, how to I bring up the battery status and how do I switch 3g off

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

thats the most time that I have seen anyone get, but it looks like it was light usage, did you do any web browsing etc?

Just via WiFi, an hour or more, 30 mins max with the Vodafone network bluetooth & GPS turned off most of the time, playing around with the phone a lot and didnt use airplane mode last night

Updated the firmware right off
    http://www.network.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2010/10/24/htc-desire-hd-ota-firmware-released/

Last charge lasted until now with less that 10% battery remaining, admit im not a heavy user but messing with the phone a fair bit including a good few hrs WiFi
    Lasted almost 40 hours on the 2nd charge and still not dead, display brightness at abt 30%
    Display.........56%
    Android OS....36%
    Cell standby....3%
    Phone idle........2%
    Android Sys......3%

How are the rest of ye doing ?

Not bad! I hate having the screen brightness set too low so I've had mine up around 75-85% so I think thats drinking my battery a good bit.

Stats for today (day 5 I think)

Display........... 80%
    Sandstorm ......11% (had a short game of it)
    Android System 5%
    Android OS...... 2%
    Mediaserver..... 2%

Not sure the exact number, but got plenty of hours out of it, haven't been using it a huge amount. I'm about to unplug so will take a note of the time and again when it dies tomorrow.

Just ordered a 32 GB C4 card so look forward to seeing how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Hi folks,

I have had the DHD since Wednesday and it's great. But today when the screen goes black/off as usual from some inactivity when I press the button on the top to bring it back to life it just stays black! It stayed black for a few hours, even though I could hear text messages being received. I took off the battery flap and put it back on and the screen worked again then so it is probably not something physically wrong, is there a known issue? I've googled but those problems appear to be with rooted devices, mine is not rooted. Hopefully it is nothing serious as i'd hate to have to give it back to the shop :(

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Might it have been after you took a call? The DHD is said to have some proximity sensor probs

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/10/19/desire-hd-stricken-with-proximity-sensor-issues/

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Baza210 wrote: »
    Might it have been after you took a call? The DHD is said to have some proximity sensor probs

http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/10/19/desire-hd-stricken-with-proximity-sensor-issues/

Actually now that you mention it, when I make and receive calls the screen seems to go blank/stay lit at random! It looks like it could be the problem discussed in the link above. It was after an outbound call that the screen completely deactivated, looks like I'm off to the shop then so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Htcsense is working perfect for me... wasn't the first day i had the phone.. I emailed them that night ... they sent me back an email that morning saying my account should be working fine.. I logged in and checked it and it was.. so maybe it just needs some time.. also there was stuff it tells you to enable on your phone listed on the site... make sure you've done that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭DaSchmo

I'm having issues with my Desire HD which is a great phone but... not sure if it's my specific phone or is this common to all DHDs - it seems to be unbelievably slow to charge, you are talking a good few hours and the battery percentage is only going up 1% every couple of minutes.

This isnt my first smartphone, i used to have an iphone 3gs which would charge fully in a fraction of the time it takes to do the DHD. THe other worrying thing is that any usage of the phone while it is connected to the charger (even light web browsing) drains the battery much quicker than the charger appears to be capable of putting power back in so the battery actually goes down and it is quite possible for the phone to die while plugged into the wall.

While I havent tried it yet, i have a horrible feeling that using this device as a wifi hotspot would kill it in about 20 minutes while plugged in. Using it as a GPS in the car while plugged into a car charger will kill it in about an hour.All the above refers to the actual 3 prong plug charger and not USB laptop charging. I also had it connected to a car charger driving from Dublin to Cork and the battery only increased by about 10% over the whole journey.

Surely this cant be right, im nearly tempted to take it back to the shop and ask for a replacement device. Battery life is also terrible allthough I was kind of expecting that - not a hope of getting a whole day out of it just yet but am hoping this improves as i put it through more charge cycles.

DaSchmo wrote: »
    I'm having issues with my Desire HD which is a great phone but... not sure if it's my specific phone or is this common to all DHDs - it seems to be unbelievably slow to charge, you are talking a good few hours and the battery percentage is only going up 1% every couple of minutes.

This isnt my first smartphone, i used to have an iphone 3gs which would charge fully in a fraction of the time it takes to do the DHD. THe other worrying thing is that any usage of the phone while it is connected to the charger (even light web browsing) drains the battery much quicker than the charger appears to be capable of putting power back in so the battery actually goes down and it is quite possible for the phone to die while plugged into the wall.

While I havent tried it yet, i have a horrible feeling that using this device as a wifi hotspot would kill it in about 20 minutes while plugged in. Using it as a GPS in the car while plugged into a car charger will kill it in about an hour.All the above refers to the actual 3 prong plug charger and not USB laptop charging. I also had it connected to a car charger driving from Dublin to Cork and the battery only increased by about 10% over the whole journey.

Surely this cant be right, im nearly tempted to take it back to the shop and ask for a replacement device. Battery life is also terrible allthough I was kind of expecting that - not a hope of getting a whole day out of it just yet but am hoping this improves as i put it through more charge cycles.

All of this sounds weird... regardless of how I charge my "DHD" as people call them now apparently ;D, it charges.... I've been developing/playing games/music on it for the last few nights with it on 100% brightness and plugged in to my pc or plug. Each time it always charges up VERY fast. Usually about 30mins to go from 0-2% to 90-100% even while i'm using to do stuff, like install and play new games while I'm bored.

Your problem sounds very odd. Did you let it charge fully before using it? sounds like the battery may be having some trouble.

Perhaps you've just got a load of apps running ...and I mean a load, get a task manager and take a look, my friend had a similiar problem until he got a task manager.

All else fails bring it back to the store it can't hurt to ask.

Decided to give this a little test, as I was up all night reading manga with a cool app so my phone is dead after about 20 something hours straight usage.. so it's plugged in now, at literally 0% lol. I'll give it some juice and watch youtube with speaker and so on.

Starting at 12:04, as soon as I plug in the usb it hits 1%,
    just waiting for it to turn the wifi on to watch the videos.

As usual my router betrayed me and I had to restart it XD.

Finally have wifi access at 12:06, battery is at 2%

Fired up youtube app, and found a video and cranked the speakers
    and brightness up to 100% ;D. at 12:07

Boring long video found ;D and watching at 12:09.

Video ends at 12:11 at battery is at 3%. So it's charging..
    now to turn on gps and look at some locations and google maps.

Ok fired up gps and locations to take me from dublin to London,
    I followed the route in the sorta 'helicopter mode'.

and at 12:14 I still hav 3% battery hmmmm

I fire up google maps at 12:15.
    plot and follow a similiar route and at 12:16 I seem to of obtained 5% battery :D.

Ok that's enough from me ;D basically it should be charging... it's certainly a lot slower as the average full charge takes about 30mins for me... however if you have brightness at 100% and locations running it seems to slow righttt down.

I used it as a wifi hotspot when gaming on my laptop with some mates from college, it was plugged in, and I came away with about 50% going in to a 100% when leaving after about 2 hours gaming. The phone wasn't being used on top of that though.

Reducing the brightness to 40% I found a good improvement, perhaps you just need to be wiser with how you use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭DaSchmo

brendanL wrote: »
    All of this sounds weird... regardless of how I charge my "DHD" as people call them now apparently ;D, it charges.... I've been developing/playing games/music on it for the last few nights with it on 100% brightness and plugged in to my pc or plug. Each time it always charges up VERY fast. Usually about 30mins to go from 0-2% to 90-100% even while i'm using to do stuff, like install and play new games while I'm bored.

Your problem sounds very odd. Did you let it charge fully before using it? sounds like the battery may be having some trouble.

Perhaps you've just got a load of apps running ...and I mean a load, get a task manager and take a look, my friend had a similiar problem until he got a task manager.

All else fails bring it back to the store it can't hurt to ask.

Decided to give this a little test, as I was up all night reading manga with a cool app so my phone is dead after about 20 something hours straight usage.. so it's plugged in now, at literally 0% lol. I'll give it some juice and watch youtube with speaker and so on.

Starting at 12:04, as soon as I plug in the usb it hits 1%,
    just waiting for it to turn the wifi on to watch the videos.

As usual my router betrayed me and I had to restart it XD.

Finally have wifi access at 12:06, battery is at 2%

Fired up youtube app, and found a video and cranked the speakers
    and brightness up to 100% ;D. at 12:07

Boring long video found ;D and watching at 12:09.

Video ends at 12:11 at battery is at 3%. So it's charging..
    now to turn on gps and look at some locations and google maps.

Ok fired up gps and locations to take me from dublin to London,
    I followed the route in the sorta 'helicopter mode'.

and at 12:14 I still hav 3% battery hmmmm

I fire up google maps at 12:15.
    plot and follow a similiar route and at 12:16 I seem to of obtained 5% battery :D.

Ok that's enough from me ;D basically it should be charging... it's certainly a lot slower as the average full charge takes about 30mins for me... however if you have brightness at 100% and locations running it seems to slow righttt down.

I used it as a wifi hotspot when gaming on my laptop with some mates from college, it was plugged in, and I came away with about 50% going in to a 100% when leaving after about 2 hours gaming. The phone wasn't being used on top of that though.

Reducing the brightness to 40% I found a good improvement, perhaps you just need to be wiser with how you use it?

90% charge in 30 mins?? I'd be lucky to get 10% in that time if even - there must be some kind of hardware issue with my device or the battery that came with it!

As I mentioned before, I'm not new to the smartphone thing, been tring lots of stuff - have screen brightness turned right down, no gps, wifi, practically nothing sync'ing, all the usual tricks etc etc. Task killer is actually counterproductive on this version of Android as it just starts the apps back up again and actually drains even more battery...

Combining this slow charge issue with the fact that the battery discharges so quickly means the phone is rendered pretty much useless as when the battery runs down you cant re-charge it quickly enough to actually get out and do stuff with it - I am giving this phone one week from when I purchased (last wednesday) to sort itself out, otherwise it's back to VF stores to get myself a new one.

DaSchmo wrote: »
    90% charge in 30 mins?? I'd be lucky to get 10% in that time if even - there must be some kind of hardware issue with my device or the battery that came with it!

As I mentioned before, I'm not new to the smartphone thing, been tring lots of stuff - have screen brightness turned right down, no gps, wifi, practically nothing sync'ing, all the usual tricks etc etc. Task killer is actually counterproductive on this version of Android as it just starts the apps back up again and actually drains even more battery...

Combining this slow charge issue with the fact that the battery discharges so quickly means the phone is rendered pretty much useless as when the battery runs down you cant re-charge it quickly enough to actually get out and do stuff with it - I am giving this phone one week from when I purchased (last wednesday) to sort itself out, otherwise it's back to VF stores to get myself a new one.

Yeah if it's not taking a charge fast with nearly everything turned off and the brightness down then it sounds to me like something's not right. Whether vf will agree with you or not is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Hi folks,

I have had the DHD since Wednesday and it's great. But today when the screen goes black/off as usual from some inactivity when I press the button on the top to bring it back to life it just stays black! It stayed black for a few hours, even though I could hear text messages being received. I took off the battery flap and put it back on and the screen worked again then so it is probably not something physically wrong, is there a known issue? I've googled but those problems appear to be with rooted devices, mine is not rooted. Hopefully it is nothing serious as i'd hate to have to give it back to the shop :(

cheers

Did you do the upgrade? if you havnt Go settings->about phone->System software updates->check now and download. its an update to help with the proximity sensor issues.

Baterry at 18% now. Unplugged at 21.48 last night so thats like 18 hours. Had been doing some playing around with it, sending texts and that, but not heavy use at all.

It's not brilliant but I can live with it. I'm going to try the brightness on auto and see if theres a noticeable difference.

Display........... 73%
    Android System 8%
    Cell Standby.... 7%
    Phone Idle....... 6%
    Wi-Fi.............. 4%
    Android OS...... 2%

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭extremehalo

where can you go to find your percentage battery?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Anybody know of a widget i could place on the home screen to block/unblock data connections to the mobile network?

I'm a bit paranoid about it pushing me over my (tiny) data limit whilst supposeldy idle.

Thanks

where can you go to find your percentage battery?

Use the "Mini Info" app extremehalo its excellent and uses little resources

mini-info.jpg

Question for the people that know, ive failed to install Google Sky app, it downloads and goes through the install procedure, then reports as unsuccessful, tried many times, is is possible to download apps and manually install them?

Sorted, app site said to remove the memory card before installing if ur on 2.2 android, now must fine out how to transfer the app lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Anybody know of a widget i could place on the home screen to block/unblock data connections to the mobile network?

I'm a bit paranoid about it pushing me over my (tiny) data limit whilst supposeldy idle.

Thanks

Isn't there one on it already? Widgets > settings > mobile network?

Advertisement