Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Kahn really have a weak chin?

Options
  • 14-10-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

In the run up to Kahn v Maidana, a lot of people seem to be highlighting Kahn's chin as a weak point. I'm not a Kahn fan and haven't really seen much of him pre-Prescott.

The point I'd like people to discuss is; does Kahn actually have a weak chin? As far as I can see Prescott landed some serious bombs on Kahn's mallet and he has really heavy hands when unloading...I think those shot Kahn collapsed to would have downed a many a fighter. Has Kahn been knocked down before easily to warrant the reputation of having a weak chin?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Has Kahn been knocked down before easily to warrant the reputation of having a weak chin?

He was put down by Willie Limond who is known not to be a big puncher. He was also put down by a shot, blown up superfeatherweight Michael Gomez. Add these to the Prescott debacle and throw in the footage of him being floored by Craig Watson in the amateurs and I think it's pretty obvious that he has a dodgy chin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

His chin is very dodgy, he was wobbled by a jab in the Prescott fight and feather-fisted Willie Limond hurt him as said above, but I think his chin has improved since he came up to 140, he's probably a little less drained at this weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Did Oisin Fagan put him down as well?

I do think he will be tougher to put down now as he has Alex Ariza on board and one of the first things he said was that Khan was too top heavy with muscle and had skinny legs so they've spread the muscle throughout his body so in theory he should be able to take bigger shots, whether that is fact remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

I think his chin has improved since he came up to 140

Not trying to be smart but i thought the chin was something that was either stong or weak and that you couldnt train to have a good chin?

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,025 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not trying to be smart but i thought the chin was something that was either stong or weak and that you couldnt train to have a good chin?

Absolutely not. There are many factors in a boxer to be able to take a shot.
    Age, maturity, weight, training, conditioning.

Take the young Clay? Rocked and hurt many times. The older, heavier, and more mature Ali took a far better shot.
    The issue regarding weight increase is very important. Does anyone believe that a LW Duran
    would have been able to shake off Hagler's shots? No, he was able because
    when they did meet, Duran weighed at middle.

A boxer lacking stamina will feel the affects of shots more than an identical fighter who is as fit as a fiddle.

Calzaghe? Chin is good, nothing great, but his ridiculous stamina is what allows him to shake and recuperate after he has taken a heavy shot.

The whole deate on chin is not an exact science. It involves so much.
    But, there are men who are simply born with rock solid chins. It's
    a physiological trait. Neck and facial muscles, strong legs, shoulders etc.

If you aren't born with the chin, there are many ways to "help yourself" take
    a shot that bit better. No, you will not suddenly become Hagler, Chuvalo or Wayne McCullough, but you can improve your shot absorption

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 patlor

In the run up to Kahn v Maidana, a lot of people seem to be highlighting Kahn's chin as a weak point. I'm not a Kahn fan and haven't really seen much of him pre-Prescott.

The point I'd like people to discuss is; does Kahn actually have a weak chin? As far as I can see Prescott landed some serious bombs on Kahn's mallet and he has really heavy hands when unloading...I think those shot Kahn collapsed to would have downed a many a fighter. Has Kahn been knocked down before easily to warrant the reputation of having a weak chin?

his chin is weak. however he has ko power. not many boxers have everything. now that roach is training him , he does not take so many needless shots and his defence is much improved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭makl

gomez interview post fight while not talkin bout chin just gives good insight to khan's success

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30AtZuGfz1o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Advertisement