Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt & Pepper Chicken

Options
  • 07-08-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good Salt & Pepper Chicken recipe? Had a look on line and there are so many, just wondered if anyone had a tried and tested recipe to share??!

Using chicken wings / thighs / breasts / legs, any part really. Something similar to what you would get in a Chinese

Many thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Moved to Cooking & Recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Hi boozlerooze

Did you mean the shredded chicken starter or did you have something else in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hi boozlerooze

Did you mean the shredded chicken starter or did you have something else in mind?

Thinking of something like a chinese starter, with chicken wings rather than shredded. I know it is probably marinated in something, dipped in cornflour, then fried in groundnut oil in a wok - I just want to know what that something is!

Right so. Let's see if we can get this sorted out.

I was thinking of shredded chicken, which is pretty awesome, but you're talking about the chicken wings.

They're lovely too! I'm not sure, but I would say they are coated in a thick flour batter with salt (or MSG), pepper and maybe garlic and chilli powder. You probably now it already, but they actually sell "MSG" in Chinese supermarkets! :D

You could also try frying them in sesame seed oil, which tastes really "Chinese".

I'm going to have a go at making shredded chicken next week and will update you as to how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Having done a little bit of reading up on it, it seems the key is in the 5 spice powder mix. Not to be confused with just 5 spice powder. You can buy a salt and pepper fry mix that gas both salt and pepper, 5 spice powder, garlic powder, Ginger powder etc. Probably worth digging around an Asian supermarket to find the right one.

A mix of cornflour and the spice mix should do the job. Maybe 10 flour to 4 mix.

• Advertisement

Right so. Let's see if we can get this sorted out.

I was thinking of shredded chicken, which is pretty awesome, but you're talking about the chicken wings.

They're lovely too! I'm not sure, but I would say they are coated in a thick flour batter with salt (or MSG), pepper and maybe garlic and chilli powder. You probably now it already, but they actually sell "MSG" in Chinese supermarkets! :D

You could also try frying them in sesame seed oil, which tastes really "Chinese".

I'm going to have a go at making shredded chicken next week and will update you as to how it works out.
    Swampy wrote: »
    Having done a little bit of reading up on it, it seems the key is in the 5 spice powder mix. Not to be confused with just 5 spice powder. You can buy a salt and pepper fry mix that gas both salt and pepper, 5 spice powder, garlic powder, Ginger powder etc. Probably worth digging around an Asian supermarket to find the right one.

A mix of cornflour and the spice mix should do the job. Maybe 10 flour to 4 mix.

Thanks for the help guys, will def be checking out an Asian supermarket to see what I can get, your help is much appreciated!

Didnt realise you could get MSG in supermarkets??!

As I was saying, I wanted to get around to trying this out...

I actually did try it back in August but wasn't happy with the results. I got around to trying it again tonight.

I bought a sachet of "seasoned salt" in a Chinese supermarket and used that: the seasoning is E621, E627 and E631, all sodium something-or-others. The E621 is monosodiumglutamateoodness! :D

I made a batter out of flour, seasoned salt, garlic powder and smoked paprika powder... and baking powder.

Here's what it turned out like:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=7371

I'm not convinced, though. The seasoning needs to be worked on and the batter, too. I might make it a bit thicker the next time and maybe add some breadcrumbs to see what way they end up.

Didnt realise you could get MSG in supermarkets??!

Oh yeah! It's proudly called "MSG", as brazen as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

you could try mixing breadcrumbs with salt and lots of black pepper, dip the chicken in a little egg and then coating with the crumbs, simple and easy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

pretty sure arromat is almost all msg too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Oh yeah! It's proudly called "MSG", as brazen as you please.

Whats wrong with MSG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kiwilostineire

It is an addictive substance, used alot in chinese foods and alot of packets of crisps to keep you wanting more. Band in a few countries due to an experiment where msg was fed to mice in large quantities and it made them go blind. Damn good though on food....

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

Little alex - did you deep or shallow fry the shredded chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

It is an addictive substance, used alot in chinese foods and alot of packets of crisps to keep you wanting more. Band in a few countries due to an experiment where msg was fed to mice in large quantities and it made them go blind. Damn good though on food....

Link to the said experiment?

My understanding was that MSG was never definitively linked to any serious ailment.

Here is a article on the subject.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2005/jul/10/foodanddrink.features3

Robin132 wrote: »
    Little alex - did you deep or shallow fry the shredded chicken?

I deep fried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

This is how its done in a chinese restaurant. I have worked in chinese restaurants for 15 years so believe me i know. i have adapted this for you for chicken wings.

STEP 1. Boil or steam the chicken wings untill fully cooked. If u fry only they w
    will be too dry. Allow them to cool.

STEP 2. Make the seasoning mix. In a bowl mix 5 spoons salt
    9 spoons sugar
    2 spoons 5 spice powder
    half spoon garlic powder
    half spoon ginger powder
    3 or 4 star anise
    leave to one side for star to infuse ( and yes 9 spoons sugar)
    no need for msg or any e numbers

STEP 3. In another bowl mix the chicken wings,some salt, some pepper, some beaten egg , dash of sesame oil, and some potato flour. (mixture shold be sticky , if not add more potato flour). Then toss them in potato flour so evenly coated.
    Deep fry for about 3 mins

STEP 4. In a very hot wok stir fry some diced veg of ure choice with some fresh chillies(depends how spicy u like it as to how much)
    Add a good splash of white wine. keep everything moving until wine has evaporated.

STEP 5. Add chicken wings to wok and sprinkle with the seasoning mix.

STEP 6. SERVE ON A FRESH CRISP SALAD.

SOUNDS A BIT LONG BUT FROM START TO FINISH IS ONLY ABOUT 10 MINS ONCE CHICKEN WINGS ARE COOLED

KEEP THE SEASONING MIX IN AN AIRTIGHT JAR AND IT WILL LAST FOR MONTHS

PM ME IF U ANY QUESTIONS WITH THIS OR ANY ORIENTAL TYPE RECIPE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

question about step 2 the seasoning mix, how does the star anise infuse as all the other ingredients are power form, or did i miss something?
    looks like a great recipe btw.

jassha wrote: »
    This is how its done in a chinese restaurant. I have worked in chinese restaurants for 15 years so believe me i know. i have adapted this for you for chicken wings.

Thanks jassha. I'll definitely be giving that a try. Do you also have the recipe for shredded chicken?

to curry addict its like making vanilla sugar .. the presence of the star adds flavour to the mix...

for the shredded chicken its the same . Just cook the finely sliced chicken from raw..

so the star anise is ground before adding to the seasoning mix?

• Advertisement

no. the whole star just sits in the mix. You would be surprised how much flavour it imparts

Thanks for the recipe, looks like it will really work, going to try it this weekend, thanks for posting it - much appreciated :)

No worries. Will post the sweet and sour and chicken balls in a couple of days. Any thing else to do with oriental food just pm me or i might not see it and i will let u all know

nice thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

You should set up your own thread Jassha.
    People are always wondering how to recreate Chinese take away recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

9 spoons sugar
    2 spoons 5 spice powder
    half spoon garlic powder
    half spoon ginger powder

Are these teaspoon or table spoons??

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'm going to try it with tablespoonfuls. That was my reading of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah, can you confirm if these are Tablespoons please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

It shouldn't really matter what type of spoon as long as you keep the same ratio, use a teaspoon to make less and a table spoon to make more of the seasoning mixture. As Jassha stated the mix will keep in an air-tight jar for a long time. Use your own judgement on how much to use for the amount of chicken you are making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

morgana wrote: »
    It shouldn't really matter what type of spoon as long as you keep the same ratio, use a teaspoon to make less and a table spoon to make more of the seasoning mixture. As Jassha stated the mix will keep in an air-tight jar for a long time. Use your own judgement on how much to use for the amount of chicken you are making.
    I know it doesn't make a difference as long as they're done at the same ratio. It could easily be "1 part this, and 2 parts that" but the addition of the star anise would make the difference to the part sizes.

Advertisement