Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

moggser wrote: »
    all i get is

meteor

meteor

3 IRL

02-Irl

and thats it and ive tried it in several locations to no avail

do i need carrier settings from meteor ?

that's kind of weird, the 2 meteor's probably are Meteor 2G and Vodafone 2G showing as Meteor. 3 must be 3 3G and o2 is just showing up as only 1 network.

My phone's probably flashed different to yours as your on meteor so I don't have a disable 3G option, on your phone when you go into mobile networks there should be an option to allow 3G networks.
    If it's not there, i'd be inclined to think the phone just won't pick up the meteor 3G network. But it's picking up 3 3G so the phone can pick up 3G networks, it's just not finding a meteor one near you.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I get those too, and 3G reception is woeful wherever I seem to be so I just keep it off all the time.
    Live in Celbridge but even when I go into Dublin on the bus I turn it on the odd time to see if I can get any 3G action, but almost never!
    Does everyone have this problem? Why am I paying for 1GB a month if there's no fuggin reception?! :mad:

I presume your on meteor as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭moggser

that's kind of weird, the 2 meteor's probably are Meteor 2G and Vodafone 2G showing as Meteor. 3 must be 3 3G and o2 is just showing up as only 1 network.

My phone's probably flashed different to yours as your on meteor so I don't have a disable 3G option, on your phone when you go into mobile networks there should be an option to allow 3G networks.
    If it's not there, i'd be inclined to think the phone just won't pick up the meteor 3G network. But it's picking up 3 3G so the phone can pick up 3G networks, it's just not finding a meteor one near you.

[QUOTEwhen you go into mobile networks there should be an option to allow 3G networks][/QUOTE]

no there aint that!! on there
    My phone's probably flashed different to yours

where can i get the firmware to reflash it as this might be a problem and also i get e "the process.com andriod.phone has stopped working try again later" (force shutdown) does that have anything to do with it?

You can't flash your phone like mine there set up for 2 different networks, if you have it under a month take it back to the store for a new one as there's something clearly wrong with it, are you 100% sure you have Meteor 3G coverage?
    It's also possible they have the meteor 3G network down for work today.

Has the phone every picked up Meteor 3G where you are now?

well i picked it up off the adverts.ie and it was not used just opened and that by other owner and i saw as much when i picked it up off him there was no evidence of use

no its not picked up the 3g signal at all where ever i am this is why i asked do i need carrier settings as the iphone i also use beside me heere has 3g working as i look at it now

• Advertisement

i just lashed a 02 sim in there and then a Edge symbol popped up on tehre where the 3g icon is supposed to be and also it lloks like its downloading stuff data packets and there is another thing i cant find settings to let me adjust the data stuff like

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

Have you checked your APN settings? Getting a 3G connection is dependent on your APN settings (Internet/MMS) being correct.

on the phone with meteor now to get the settings sent to me at present there is no apn settings on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

My Galaxy S doesn't show a 3G symbol while i'm on 3G with data turned off.
    If I have data on and I'm on 3G it'll show 3G or H with some arrows - whichever is available.

Turn data on, and see does a 3G/H symbol appear. Then you know you're on 3G?

Edit: Samsung config site (sent to your phone): linky

they wont send them by text the fuggers any one got them so i can input them

cant do it while im on the phone talking to them lol

ok i got the settings on it and working well the 3g icon is there along with the h one too

now i see ya said ya can turn the data off !! ok how is this done cause wheni see it in the apn section it gives y a a littel green circle sayin thats its active but it cant be turned off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Does anyone have any issues when surfing the net,

It will come up with an android type page saying this page can't be displayed, i get that a bit :(

moggser wrote: »
    on the phone with meteor now to get the settings sent to me at present there is no apn settings on it?

Phone settings sent by Meteor don't work for Android OS, you need either Meteor CSC files or manually create APNs with settings as follows (Create two new APNs and populate only items below) -

Name: Meteor Data
    APN: data.mymeteor.ie
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 03
    Authentication Type: PAP
    APN Type: internet

Name: Meteor MMS
    APN: mms.mymeteor.ie
    User name: my
    Password: mms
    MMSC: http://mms.mymeteor.ie
    MMS proxy: 010.085.085.085
    MMS port: 8799
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 03
    Authentication type: PAP
    APN type: mms

Once these APNs are created, the Meteor Data should be selected as the default APN

only got that when i hadnt set up the data on it as in when i wasnt connected to wi fi

angel01 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any issues when surfing the net,

It will come up with an android type page saying this page can't be displayed, i get that a bit :(

Rarely on 3G (when on EDGE GPRS mode) and never when on WIFI..

Does this occur with predominantly text only pages or content rich pages?

reb73 wrote: »
    Rarely on 3G (when on EDGE GPRS mode) and never when on WIFI..

Does this occur with predominantly text only pages or content rich pages?

Mainly just forums is what causes it, or sometimes when viewing twitter through the website..

angel01 wrote: »
    Mainly just forums is what causes it, or sometimes when viewing twitter through the website..

What firmware/ROM are you on?

reb73 wrote: »
    What firmware/ROM are you on?

Stock 2.1, I am waiting for the 2.2 update.

What firmware do you have?

Rooted leaked Froyo (JPK), no lagfix though.. I'll be upgrading to custom voodoo kernel for Froyo JP6/JPM as soon as its out (on XDA)..

But, posts on XDA suggest that Dutch service centres have got the official Froyo update (JPM), so Froyo update via Kies shouldn't be too far away. It should get rid of your issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

FYI, I complained yesterday to a 3 Store about the appalling battery life on my my Galaxy S (often lasting less than 1 day). I've had the problem since Day 1. I was told that fonemenders.ie will run tests on it, and if necessary repair/upgrade the firmware under warranty on Samsung Ireland's behalf.

Also the 3 Store mentioned yesterday that they had received an email (from HQ?) about the 2.2 firmware upgrade for the Galaxy S - they were told that it wouldn't be happening for 3 customers 'for at least a couple of weeks'

eorpach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Reading that there are issues with the GPS on the Galaxy, have users here any comments on this please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

bogman wrote: »
    Reading that there are issues with the GPS on the Galaxy, have users here any comments on this please?

Yes, basically it doesn't work for me (Vodafone -Stock ROM). This is a firmware issue as I understand, and I expect it to be resolved when Froyo ROM is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

(me, I have!) has shared a Tweet with you:

"samsungukmobile: We’re rolling out Froyo updates in Europe. We’re in the last stages of testing here & we’ll update you early next week on its UK release."
    --

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

T-mobile have said that they aren't releasing it till november.

"Some news on the update to Android 2.2 for the Samsung Galaxy S. Currently we are making some changes to get it working better when using Orange signal, and are therefore looking to release the update by the end of November – obviously this is a delay on our original release date but we hope it will be worth the wait!

Kind Regards

Stef
    Forum Team"

So the real question is are Irish carriers going to be doing the same?

Chrizfitz wrote: »
    T-mobile have said that they aren't releasing it till november.

"Some news on the update to Android 2.2 for the Samsung Galaxy S. Currently we are making some changes to get it working better when using Orange signal, and are therefore looking to release the update by the end of November – obviously this is a delay on our original release date but we hope it will be worth the wait!

Kind Regards

Stef
    Forum Team"

So the real question is are Irish carriers going to be doing the same?

Could well be the case, only good thing I would say is that that tweet came from Samsung themselves today, not a mobile operator!

3 previously told me they wouldn't be releasing an update so I wouldn't hold my breath :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

Gucky wrote: »
    Could well be the case, only good thing I would say is that that tweet came from Samsung themselves today, not a mobile operator!

Who do you think samsung are rolling out 2.2 to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

In one sentence can someone explain what difference 2.2 will make to the day to day operation of my SGS?

Cheers.

Chrizfitz wrote: »
    Who do you think samsung are rolling out 2.2 to?

Kies, for a manual update, mobile carriers for over the air update.

I may be wrong ohn this, but if samsung release an official update, can we not update it regardless of the mobile carrier? (via kies obviously)

• Advertisement

Zagato wrote: »
    Yes, basically it doesn't work for me (Vodafone -Stock ROM)..

try this

1. Disable “Use Wireless Networks” (Go to Settings > Location & Security > uncheck the box next to “Use Wireless Networks”)
    2. Go to the phone and dial *#*#1472365#*#* (This step throws you into LBSTestMode menu)
    3. In the LBSTestMode menu change “Operation Mode” to MS Based
    4. In the LBSTestMode menu, find “SUPL/CP Settings” and change the Server to Auto
    5. Turn Sky Hook on
    6. Restart
    7. Enable “Use Wireless Networks” (Do this by reversing what you done in step one)

Advertisement