Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMPORTANT: BBC transponder changes

Options
  • 13-10-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

On October 18th @ 0500h BBC 1 NI, BBC 2 NI, BBC 4, BCeebies will move transponder. BBC 1/2 NI will move to 10,8175 Vert. BBC4/CBeebies will move to 10,80275 Horz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

A move to accommodate BBC1 HD I wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

It might be useful to know that anyone with a freesat box will not have to do anything as the box will autmaticially update.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Tony wrote: »
    It might be useful to know that anyone with a freesat box will not have to do anything as the box will autmaticially update.

It will be a headache for installers who still use free to air boxes. There will many a phone call from contrary and disgruntled customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Benolam

BBC One HD, November 3rd, 10,847 Vert.

• Advertisement

scaller wrote: »
    It will be a headache for installers who still use free to air boxes. There will many a phone call from contrary and disgruntled customers.

Well hopefully they can be referred to a step by step guide or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ISAA

Plenty of Hotels without BBC from 18th then,

Well hopefully they can be referred to a step by step guide or similar.

I know what you mean Tony. But to be honest there are a lot of customers out there that will expect the installer to call back free of charge to retune there receiver. That's why some of us guy's gave up supplying and installing generic Free To Air boxes when Freest/Sat4free boxes came out.
    From the customers point of view the installer is the guy who gave them these channels and should come back for nothing to retune them. A few years ago when CH4, More4, E4 and Film4 were changing TP and Frequency regularly it got crazy with Disgruntled customers. I was talking to a installer last week He installed a Free to air for a family in New Ross about 3 years ago they phoned him 2 weeks ago demanding that he call back a retune Men and Motor's.

Well I guess it really depends on whether the customer was informed at the time as to what might happen with a transponder change. If they were not told they may have to periodicially re tune then I guess they have a case although 3 years later is pushing it just a touch :)

I think theres also a perception issue where some people confuse installers with programme providers, I guess this may come from the use of relay systems and similar.

I know what you mean Tony. But to be honest there are a lot of customers out there that will expect the installer to call back free of charge to retune there receiver. That's why some of us guy's gave up supplying and installing generic Free To Air boxes when Freest/Sat4free boxes came out.
    From the customers point of view the installer is the guy who gave them these channels and should come back for nothing to retune them. A few years ago when CH4, More4, E4 and Film4 were changing TP and Frequency regularly it got crazy with Disgruntled customers. I was talking to a installer last week He installed a Free to air for a family in New Ross about 3 years ago they phoned him 2 weeks ago demanding that he call back a retune Men and Motor's.

Thank god I explained Frequency and TP changes when i used to install Free To Air systems. I made a point of marking pages in the User manual about Manual tune and Auto tune. Seen as BBC1NI and BBC2NI are to be affected it might be a Good thing and cause headaches for the Chancers and Bob the Builders who are Fitting Cheap Free To Air Systems.

• Advertisement

Good thing and cause headaches for the Chancers and Bob the Builders who are Fitting Cheap Free To Air Systems.

I'm not so sure as I reckon most of these guys just wont bother doing anything about it and as I've said previously the perception might become that satellite tv loses channels so it may damage us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

This is why ever since Freesat came out I recommended people pay the extra for it. Now I recommend Freesat HD box as minimum even if people never plan on getting HDTV.

Before Freesat the best plan was to subscribe to Sky for a year and cancel. Most people can't self install a dish well and most generic boxes have terrible GUI apart from lack of automatic EPG update, lack of EPG (saving cost of RTE guide) and lack of Modern Text services / extra BBC streams easily.

If RealDigital had launched before Freesat, it would be a nice idea, but it's pointless now.

I'm not so sure as I reckon most of these guys just wont bother doing anything about it and as I've said previously the perception might become that satellite tv loses channels so it may damage us all.

Most of these Bob the Builders wouldn't Know about TP changes. Now that will cause them damage and as you said maybe us all.
    That's why I explain to people enquiring about satellite TV the difference between Buying a Freesat or a Free to Air satellite system.

That's why I explain to people enquiring about satellite TV the difference between Buying a Freesat or a Free to Air satellite system.

Me too. I also pointi out the benefits of the 7 day programme guide and red button interactive features. I agree with Watty too thats it worth thinking about a HD box if you are planning on upgrading your tv as it will work in standard definition on older tv's with a scart socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Quick question?

Don't know much about frequencies etc. but, are these figures correct:

Seems to me too many digits also will they all be on 22000

amerden wrote: »
    Quick question?

Don't know much about frequencies etc. but, are these figures correct:

Seems to me too many digits also will they all be on 22000

On Free To Air boxes It will be
    and yes 22000 will be the symbol rate

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭marclt

Scaller / Tony

Stick out a press release on it... you'll find local papers will be quite helpful on this - it could do your business a bit of good too - especially if you include the line about going back to the people who installed it for you, if you get in difficulty!

In theory sounds a good idea but to be truthful I'd fear I'd be inundated with calls from people who cannot get hold of their own installers. As it is I get calls from people who expect me to tell them over the phone how to set up their Lidl/Aldi systems. I'd like to be as helpful as possible but not to the detriment of the people who have supported me.

marclt wrote: »
    Scaller / Tony

Stick out a press release on it... you'll find local papers will be quite helpful on this - it could do your business a bit of good too - especially if you include the line about going back to the people who installed it for you, if you get in difficulty!

Last year our local paper In Co Wexford done a article on TV systems DTT and Satellite. It turned out to be a Price war {Who is the cheapest}from the so called Installers who got involved. None of us long term installers where involved as we all said that we did not want to be Associated with them guys. I Explained to the Journalist when he contacted me The difference between Freesat and Free to Air. But anyhow the article went ahead without my comments and it caused a lot of damage to us guys who pay our way in the Trade.

I'll have a chat with the guys at Today FM and see can we get some way of getting this information out without jamming anybody up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

In due course I will post an update to my tuning details sticky thread, and I may also have to add/change a few channels on there whilst I'm at it.

On a side note, Freesat posted a message on their Facebook page stating that they hope to have news very soon on some new HD channels, including Channel 4 HD.

Seeing as 10.847 V will be able to hold 3 HD channels, I'm sure BBC HD, BBC 1 HD and Channel 4 HD will fit on there nicely... so I'm guessing we may be seeing Channel 4 HD on Freesat soon enough... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If it's entirely HD on the transponder they can switch to DVB-S2 and get a bit more space.

All "official" HD sets can do DVB-S2. It's only some PC cards that are being used for HD that are exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blueplatinum

May I ask what is the original source of this information please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

There are tests currently on Virgin boxes in the UK with BBC ONE HD testing on them, so the launch can't be that far away.

The sourse came from Digital Spy as a user on there received the information from an insider at the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

It might be worth considering changing the thread title of this sticky.

I'd say quite a few people who will encounter this problem won't know what a 'transponder' is and it's likely to lead to multiple, duplicate threads of "where's my cbeebies gone?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Taken from BBC website:
    Satellite frequencies
    BBC digital TV and radio – satellite frequencies
    To receive digital TV via satellite but not through Freesat or Sky, you need to tune your equipment to the correct frequencies yourself. For help with tuning, please contact your equipment retailer, manufacturer or installer.

BBC Services on Digital Satellite are moving on Monday 18 October 2010
    Listed below are the frequencies for BBC TV channels and radio stations available via satellite. The BBC is rationalising its service line-up on digital satellite, and from the early morning of Monday 18 October 2010, the service line-up will be as set-out in the chart below. Because of software limitations, BBC Red Button interactive channels are currently only available with Freesat or a Sky set-top box and viewing card.

Other free channels are also available, but some - such as Channel 4 and Five - are encrypted and require Freesat or a Sky set-top box and viewing card.

Viewers with a Freesat set-top box will not need to do anything, as the Freesat EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) will be updated to reflect these changes. If you experience a problem, it may be resolved by switching your Freesat box off, and then on again. If you see an on-screen message advising you to retune, please follow the instructions on-screen.

Viewers with a Free-to-Air receiver will need to retune to continue to receive the BBC services that are moving.

FEC = forward error correction
    SID = service information descriptor

Astra 2D (28.2° East)
    Transponder 45 (aka 2.045)
    Frequency: 10.77325 GHz
    Horizontal polarisation
    Symbol rate: 22.0 Mbaud
    FEC 5/6
    Transport Stream ID: 2045

Changes to the previous line-up of services on BBC DSAT1 SID
    BBC One London 6301
    BBC Two England 6302
    CBBC 6317
    BBC Three 6319
    Five – 3rd party carriage for Freesat 6335
    BBC One-BS Bristol – BBC One West 6341
    BBC One-CB Cambridge – BBC One East (W) 6351
    BBC One-CI BBC Channel Islands 6361

Astra 2D (28.2° East)
    Transponder 47 (aka 2.047)
    Frequency: 10.80275 GHz
    Horizontal polarisation
    FEC 5/6
    Transport Stream ID: 2047

Changes to the previous line-up of services on BBC DSAT2 SID
    BBC Four UK Wide TV Service 6416
    CBeebies UK Wide TV Service 6418
    BBC One Scotland 6421
    BBC Two Scotland 6422
    BBC Radio 5 Live 6401
    BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra 6464
    BBC One-MR Manchester 6441
    BBC One-LS Leeds 6451
    BBC One-TW Tunbridge Wells 6451

Astra 2D (28.2° East)
    Transponder 50 (aka 2.050)
    Frequency: 10.84700 GHz
    Vertical polarisation
    FEC 5/6
    Transport Stream ID: 2050

Changes to the previous line-up of services on BBC DSAT4 SID
    BBC HD UK Wide HD Service 6940
    BBC One HD from Wednesday 3 November 6941
    Astra 2D (28.2° East)
    Transponder 46 (aka 2.046)
    Frequency: 10.78800 GHz
    Vertical polarisation
    FEC 5/6
    Transport Stream ID: 2046

Changes to the previous line-up of services on BBC DSAT5 SID
    BBC One - Wales 10311
    BBC Two - Wales 10312
    BBC One-BM – Birmingham 10301
    BBC One-HL – Hull 10303
    BBC One-NO – Nottingham 10305
    BBC One-NC – Norwich 10306

Astra 2D (28.2° East)
    Transponder 48
    Frequency: 10.81750 GHz
    Vertical polarisation
    FEC 5/6
    Transport Stream ID: 2048

Changes to the previous line-up of services on BBC DSAT6 SID
    BBC One-NI Northern Ireland 10361
    BBC Two-NI Northern Ireland 10362
    BBC One-SO Southampton – BBC South 10353
    BBC One-PY Plymouth – BBC South West 10354
    BBC One-NT Newcastle – BBC North East & Cumbria 10355
    BBC One-OX Oxford – BBC South 10356

Astra 2A (28.2° East)
    Transponder 13 (aka 2.013)
    Frequency: 11.95350 GHz
    Horizontal polarisation
    Symbol rate: 27.5 Mbaud
    FEC2/3
    Transport Stream ID: 2013

There are no changes to the line-up of services on BBC DSAT7 SID
    BBC News 6704
    BBC Parliament 6705
    BBC Alba 6736
    BBC Radio 1 6751
    BBC Radio 1Xtra 6766
    BBC Radio 2 6752
    BBC Radio 3 6753
    BBC Radio 4 FM 6754
    BBC Radio 4 LW 6755
    BBC 6 Music 6767
    BBC Radio 7 6768
    BBC Asian Network 6760
    BBC World Service 6761
    BBC Radio Scotland 6757
    BBC Radio nan Gàidheal 6769
    BBC Radio Wales 6758
    BBC Radio Cymru 6763
    BBC Radio Ulster 6759
    BBC London 6770

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

givecredit wrote: »
    Taken from BBC website:
    Satellite frequencies
    BBC digital TV and radio – satellite frequencies
    To receive digital TV via satellite but not through Freesat or Sky, you need to tune your equipment to the correct frequencies yourself. For help with tuning, please contact your equipment retailer, manufacturer or installer.

BBC Services on Digital Satellite are moving on Monday 18 October 2010
    Listed below are the frequencies for BBC TV channels and radio stations available via satellite. The BBC is rationalising its service line-up on digital satellite, and from the early morning of Monday 18 October 2010, the service line-up will be as set-out in the chart below. Because of software limitations, BBC Red Button interactive channels are currently only available with Freesat or a Sky set-top box and viewing card.

Other free channels are also available, but some - such as Channel 4 and Five - are encrypted and require Freesat or a Sky set-top box and viewing card.

Viewers with a Freesat set-top box will not need to do anything, as the Freesat EPG (Electronic Programme Guide) will be updated to reflect these changes. If you experience a problem, it may be resolved by switching your Freesat box off, and then on again. If you see an on-screen message advising you to retune, please follow the instructions on-screen.

Viewers with a Free-to-Air receiver will need to retune to continue to receive the BBC services that are moving.

FEC = forward error correction
    SID = service information descriptor

Astra 2D (28.2° East)
    Transponder 45 (aka 2.045)
    Frequency: 10.77325 GHz
    Horizontal polarisation
    FEC 5/6
    Transport Stream ID: 2045

Changes to the previous line-up of services on BBC DSAT1 SID
    BBC One London 6301
    BBC Two England 6302
    CBBC 6317
    BBC Three 6319
    Five – 3rd party carriage for Freesat 6335
    BBC One-BS Bristol – BBC One West 6341
    BBC One-CB Cambridge – BBC One East (W) 6351
    BBC One-CI BBC Channel Islands 6361

Astra 2D (28.2° East)
    Transponder 47 (aka 2.047)
    Frequency: 10.80275 GHz
    Horizontal polarisation
    FEC 5/6
    Transport Stream ID: 2047

Changes to the previous line-up of services on BBC DSAT2 SID
    BBC Four UK Wide TV Service 6416
    CBeebies UK Wide TV Service 6418
    BBC One Scotland 6421
    BBC Two Scotland 6422
    BBC Radio 5 Live 6401
    BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra 6464
    BBC One-MR Manchester 6441
    BBC One-LS Leeds 6451
    BBC One-TW Tunbridge Wells 6451

Astra 2D (28.2° East)
    Transponder 50 (aka 2.050)
    Frequency: 10.84700 GHz
    Vertical polarisation
    FEC 5/6
    Transport Stream ID: 2050

Changes to the previous line-up of services on BBC DSAT4 SID
    BBC HD UK Wide HD Service 6940
    BBC One HD from Wednesday 3 November 6941
    Astra 2D (28.2° East)
    Transponder 46 (aka 2.046)
    Frequency: 10.78800 GHz
    Vertical polarisation
    FEC 5/6
    Transport Stream ID: 2046

Changes to the previous line-up of services on BBC DSAT5 SID
    BBC One - Wales 10311
    BBC Two - Wales 10312
    BBC One-BM – Birmingham 10301
    BBC One-HL – Hull 10303
    BBC One-NO – Nottingham 10305
    BBC One-NC – Norwich 10306

Astra 2D (28.2° East)
    Transponder 48
    Frequency: 10.81750 GHz
    Vertical polarisation
    FEC 5/6
    Transport Stream ID: 2048

Changes to the previous line-up of services on BBC DSAT6 SID
    BBC One-NI Northern Ireland 10361
    BBC Two-NI Northern Ireland 10362
    BBC One-SO Southampton – BBC South 10353
    BBC One-PY Plymouth – BBC South West 10354
    BBC One-NT Newcastle – BBC North East & Cumbria 10355
    BBC One-OX Oxford – BBC South 10356

Astra 2A (28.2° East)
    Transponder 13 (aka 2.013)
    Frequency: 11.95350 GHz
    Horizontal polarisation
    Symbol rate: 27.5 Mbaud
    FEC2/3
    Transport Stream ID: 2013

There are no changes to the line-up of services on BBC DSAT7 SID
    BBC News 6704
    BBC Parliament 6705
    BBC Alba 6736
    BBC Radio 1 6751
    BBC Radio 1Xtra 6766
    BBC Radio 2 6752
    BBC Radio 3 6753
    BBC Radio 4 FM 6754
    BBC Radio 4 LW 6755
    BBC 6 Music 6767
    BBC Radio 7 6768
    BBC Asian Network 6760
    BBC World Service 6761
    BBC Radio Scotland 6757
    BBC Radio nan Gàidheal 6769
    BBC Radio Wales 6758
    BBC Radio Cymru 6763
    BBC Radio Ulster 6759
    BBC London 6770
    thanks for that guys got up at 6 this morning went to but on cbeebies for the little man and got a blank screen he was not to pleased,straight to boards with me and found this thread.thanks again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

harr wrote: »
    thanks for that guys got up at 6 this morning went to but on cbeebies for the little man and got a blank screen he was not to pleased,straight to boards with me and found this thread.thanks again:D

ditto, thank god I'd some waybaloo on the player, there wouldve been murder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Booted up my Humax Foxsat HDR after nine this morning.

Box went into tuning mode - "12* Channels Changed" then booted as normal but I still have no BBC1 or 2 NI in in their normal positions, they were just showing a "This channel is scrambled or currently not available" message.

BBC2 NI was available in the higher range but I didn't seem to be able to find BBC1 NI.

I would have presumed the engineering work was completed by now.

* I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Just updated my website with quick instructions for retuning Triax SR110 and Technomate 3000D. (other receivers are similar)
    Just a quick job, I will refine it later.
    http://www.signalsolutions.tv/?p=415

Advertisement