Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how are dentists paid under medical card scheme

Options
  • 10-09-2010 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

Does anybody know if dentists are paid per visit, per treatment, etc., under the medical scheme?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

dentists are paid per item of service, the HSE sets the fees and the dentist used to be paid a fee for each filling/extraction/denture etc done. Since April this is limited at one check up and two emergency fillings per patient per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

and 'emergency' extractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

"how are dentists paid under medical card scheme"

Badly

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

"how are dentists paid under medical card scheme"

Badly

They can always leave the scheme if they are disatisfied with the fees and there is a section in the FEMPI Act which allows them to do so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

A considerable number have left, in certain areas there are no dentists in med card scheme, all treatments are provided by health board dentists only, when the fees paid are less then the cost of providing treatment, it is impossible to continue in the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

Not sure if this the right place to ask but does anyone know how long it takes for the hse to pay the dentist for medical card treatments? thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Depends, sometime the next month, sometimes 3-4 months later, sometimes never at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

Thanks fitzgeme! :) I'm just wondering because i have a very nice dentist who put in for my 2 fillings on my card but if they are not accepted as emergency then i'll be sent a bill so was just wondering how long it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eric.bold

davo10 wrote: »
    A considerable number have left, in certain areas there are no dentists in med card scheme, all treatments are provided by health board dentists only, when the fees paid are less then the cost of providing treatment, it is impossible to continue in the scheme.

Does anybody know if it is possible to refer a medical card holder's filling to a healthboard dentist rather than a medical card dentist in general areas which they can consider not an emergency or where the treatment limit of one visit with one of two treatments was already spent per current year, meaning the dentist won't even see you?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

Eric the dentist will see you but it'll be as a private patient.
    I have sent letters to the HSE principle dentist regarding patients that require more care than is currently cover, never heard back from them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement