Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Savman wrote: »
    FWIW I can't get my shiny new Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card to work on the Irish Rail ticket machines, strange.
    Wouldn't give me hope if going abroad and getting stuck in a random Metro station being declined when the funds are there.

You'll probably have less trouble abroad - I've used mine in many ticket machines outside Ireland. It's simply a case that Irish Rail haven't updated their machines to accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

carrolls wrote: »
    I got my Ulster bank Visa Debit card last week, and decided to sign up for Play.com on Monday.
    Every tome I try to do a purchase, it is declined and I get an e-mail back from them stating

Thank you for your recent order with Play.com

At this time we are unable to process your order as your credit/debit card
    issuer has notified us that the card holder details you have supplied does
    not match the address they have on record.

To proceed with your order please check and amend the following:

Cardholder name. Please check and amend your details with your name
    exactly as it appears on your credit/debit card statement.

Cardholder address. This should be the address where your credit card
    bills or bank statements are sent.

Your house number (or name) and postcode should be exactly the same as
    they appear on your credit card bills or bank statement.

If you do not find a discrepancy please contact our Customer Service Team
    on 0845 800 1020 (UK only) or +44 (0)1534 877 595 (outside UK).

Now I called up Ulster Bank and they confirmed that the address was identical to the one I entered at Play.com.
    The only difference is that on Play.com, the Post Code field is mandatory (For F**ks Sake:mad::mad:), so I placed the Dublin 4 part of the address there. (Remember we in the Republic don't use post codes in our addresses -you total idiots :mad: I'm talking about Play.com there)
    I tried to call Play.com using the international number (+44 (0)1534 877 595)but it does not work, and there is no email support.
    What a shower of handicaps.
    Is there any way of getting over this problem?, ie. is there a secret code that you put in the post-code field that is ignored in the "Verified By Visa" address comparison?

Put Ireland as the post code and Dublin 4 in the main address field.

That worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Put Ireland as the post code and Dublin 4 in the main address field.

That worked for me.
    I did that last night, and they have not got back to me with the above message in 15 hours, which is a good sign.:)
    Thanks for the tip nlgbbbblth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Just an update on Ulster Banks online banking.
    Tried using it through Linux/Iceweasel, this brought up message "Incompatible Browser"
    I added on a "Default User Agent Switcher", that fools the other side into thinking I'm logging on using Windows/Internet Explorer (you can choose whether you want to emulate 6/7/8).
    Tried this for the first time today.
    No problem.
    Instead of "Incompatible browser" message, got login screen, logged on, had a look at my accounts and logged out again.
    I have not tried any transactions online, but at least I can look up stuff and check on my balance.
    MS once got sued for incorporating IE into it's operating system.
    Now what they do is force companies into artificially blocking perfectly good browsers from other operating systems from accessing websites with companies they have some kind of sweetheart deal with.
    These companies then knowingly create a security risk by forcing people to use less secure browser/operating system combinations.
    This is like bribing road maintenance companies into only allowing certain makes of cars on their road and excluding others to give an advantage to one car maker over others.
    It's anti competitiveness on such a massive scale and conducted with an ammount of cheek, it makes any other shady and dodgy deal done by MS in the past look like a text book lesson in ethical behaviour.
    They restrict the website to a whitelist of browsers they know work well to avoid having to deal with bugs. Have you tried switching your useragent to Firefox, considering that's essentially the same as Iceweasel?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

Savman wrote: »
    FWIW I can't get my shiny new Ulster Bank Visa Debit Card to work on the Irish Rail ticket machines, strange.
    Wouldn't give me hope if going abroad and getting stuck in a random Metro station being declined when the funds are there.

The card worked fine for me in Germany, so i can't see it being a problem

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I just got mine. This doesn't affect my normal atm card "cashcard" does it

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

bluewolf wrote: »
    I just got mine. This doesn't affect my normal atm card "cashcard" does it

It replaces it... no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

blubloblu wrote: »
    They restrict the website to a whitelist of browsers they know work well to avoid having to deal with bugs. Have you tried switching your useragent to Firefox, considering that's essentially the same as Iceweasel?

Haven't no, it doesn't give me the option, I can select IE 6/7/8 if I so wish, but not Firefox.
    Also, been using Ulster Banks online banking like this for a while now, have transferred money, paid my bills, etc... all no problem.
    If they ever find a way to block me doing this I can also fire up the PC and use Windows/IE.
    But it would annoy me a little bit every time and I may start looking for a bank that doesn't try to force me to use a certain OS or browser.
    I'm sure MS is doing deals with companies on the web to force them to only deal with MS products through the web. I don't know why companies would exclude people as customers based on their choice of OS.
    Imagine pulling up at Dunnes Stores and being told "I'm sorry, we don't let people who drive Ford shop here anymore. Please come back with an Opel and you'll be welcome. Meanwhile, fcuk off you dirty, stinkin' Ford driver"
    Would I go, sell my Ford and get an Opel?
    Hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Haven't no, it doesn't give me the option, I can select IE 6/7/8 if I so wish, but not Firefox.
    Also, been using Ulster Banks online banking like this for a while now, have transferred money, paid my bills, etc... all no problem.
    If they ever find a way to block me doing this I can also fire up the PC and use Windows/IE.
    But it would annoy me a little bit every time and I may start looking for a bank that doesn't try to force me to use a certain OS or browser.
    I'm sure MS is doing deals with companies on the web to force them to only deal with MS products through the web. I don't know why companies would exclude people as customers based on their choice of OS.
    Imagine pulling up at Dunnes Stores and being told "I'm sorry, we don't let people who drive Ford shop here anymore. Please come back with an Opel and you'll be welcome. Meanwhile, fcuk off you dirty, stinkin' Ford driver"
    Would I go, sell my Ford and get an Opel?
    Hardly.
    This is dragging off-topic. Have you contacted Ulster Bank about it? I very much doubt it's a plot by Microsoft to control the Internet, more likely it's the website's developers who only want people to connect using browsers they know to work.
    Try this: type about:config into your Iceweasel's location bar. right click, create a new 'string' named "general.useragent.override" with value "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/3.6.6"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

blubloblu wrote: »
    This is dragging off-topic. Have you contacted Ulster Bank about it? I very much doubt it's a plot by Microsoft to control the Internet, more likely it's the website's developers who only want people to connect using browsers they know to work.
    Try this: type about:config into your Iceweasel's location bar. right click, create a new 'string' named "general.useragent.override" with value "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/3.6.6"

I know that, I've been using their internet banking through Linux that way for months. It's the principle. Also, when you login, the first thing it does is push Rapport on you to counter any keylogging software and spy ware.Since Rapport does not work on Linux there's no point pushing it on you, but they don't have to go this far. Their system requirement page states that their internet banking "may not work on Linux" Of course it does, it's been proven to work, so why deliberately exclude lt. Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but 95% of my banking is online.I'm quite happy with the current workaround and if I can slightly pervert the system all the better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Sonz wrote: »
    It replaces it... no?

I had an atm card as well as a laser card...
    Duno if I was supposed to be using both :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dancegirl

Have been trying to book flight with aerlingus with visa debit but it wont accept it?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Dancegirl wrote: »
    Have been trying to book flight with aerlingus with visa debit but it wont accept it?? :eek:
    Worked ok for me :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭brianw25

Hi there,

Glad i found this threat its very helpful.

I'm new to the visa debit and i was just wondering if anyone knows if SKY or O2 except the card as payment ?

Also, on the card type - do i select visa or should there be a visa debit option in the drop down menu ? Thanks:)

If you don't see a seperate Visa Debit option, enter it as Visa and it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

Barring the teething problems with particular merchants, people seem reasonably happy with their Visa debit cards, and many of you are extremely keen to get yours switched over ASAP.

I got my replacement card just recently and it has made me very cross. With the Maestro card I had before I could:

* Draw sterling in the UK from any ATM and pay only a currency surcharge. Now if I wish to use any ATM not from RBS group I will also pay at least €3

* Draw Euro out anywhere in the Euro zone for free. This will now cost me at least €3

* Carry out online transactions in Euro and know that there would be no transaction fee. (to be fair, this only worked on Laser-enabled sites, the Maestro option never worked for this). Now it seems that if your transaction is processed offshore - something you can't predict - you will pay at least 25c.

* Pay at point-of-sale in the many German retailers who will not accept credit cards.

Am I mistaken about these charges? Perhaps I'm mistaken in my assumption that they didn't apply on the old card, but I took a lot of care to check when I got it first. Considering how much UB trumpeted the benefits of the change, I feel like I've been sold a pup, and if things are as they seem to be I'm likely to move a lot of my banking to a bank with a more enlightened attitude, particularly to the Euro-zone ATMs - that's a deal-breaker.

I've already got a Visa credit card, Maestro gave me something to scratch a different itch. Grr!

* Draw Euro out anywhere in the Euro zone for free. This will now cost me at least €3

Incorrect. Euro ATM withdrawls are without charge.
    * Carry out online transactions in Euro and know that there would be no transaction fee. (to be fair, this only worked on Laser-enabled sites, the Maestro option never worked for this). Now it seems that if your transaction is processed offshore - something you can't predict - you will pay at least 25c.

I've only seen this happen for non-Euro transactions. I've had Euro transactions processed from non-Euro countries without charge (the most recent being a transaction from Switzerland).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Incorrect. Euro ATM withdrawls are without charge.

As you can imagine, I'd be very happy to be wrong on this one, as it's the biggy. But if you are correct, then the informational leaftlet is very badly presented. In its section "Charges for using your card abroad" (because the rest of the Euro Zone _is_ abroad), they have, in addition to a comment about exchange rate transfer fees:

* You will also be charged 2% of the transaction value with a minimum of €3 and a maximum of €12 (except at ATMs belonging to Ulster ank, EasyCash, RBS or NatWest)

Naturally, no other Euro Zone countries have ATMs from these companies.

Is your assertion that the transactions are free based on observation or is there a better source of the charge information?
    BuffyBot wrote: »
    I've only seen this happen for non-Euro transactions. I've had Euro transactions processed from non-Euro countries without charge (the most recent being a transaction from Switzerland).

Again, it would be great for this to be true. For online transactions, my charge sheet isn't specific, rather I had based my assumption on some of the messages earlier in the thread where people had seen 25c fees appearing for what appeared to be Euro transactions processed offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

mackerski wrote: »
    As you can imagine, I'd be very happy to be wrong on this one, as it's the biggy. But if you are correct, then the informational leaftlet is very badly presented. In its section "Charges for using your card abroad" (because the rest of the Euro Zone _is_ abroad), they have, in addition to a comment about exchange rate transfer fees:

* You will also be charged 2% of the transaction value with a minimum of €3 and a maximum of €12 (except at ATMs belonging to Ulster ank, EasyCash, RBS or NatWest)

Naturally, no other Euro Zone countries have ATMs from these companies.

Is your assertion that the transactions are free based on observation or is there a better source of the charge information?

I read through the information also and it is a little confusing. I've come to the conclusion that by abroad they mean outside the eurozone. From what I remember there was a section about charges in the eurozone and charges abroad.

I've used my card a lot at different banks in the eurozone without charge in the past year.

From the fact I haven't been charged when I've used Eurozone ATM's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MiCrOMaN1

Could someone please tell me how long it takes for a new card to arrive? (Ulster Bank) I was told that they come from England so does that mean I will have to wait over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

MiCrOMaN1 wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me how long it takes for a new card to arrive? (Ulster Bank) I was told that they come from England so does that mean I will have to wait over a week.

I had mine in a calendar week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hi guys.

I though I would give you a heads up to an issue I have come across with Visa Debit cards.

I work in a hotel. When people check in, a credit card is requested. With this credit card, a pre authorisation is taken. Long and short of it, the hotels bank is putting money to one side, to cover the cost of the stay, and usually a certain amount against extras. The banks see this as a shadow posting. An authorisation code is given. Normally with credit cards, once the authorisation code is used on departure the shadow posting is released.

We were seeing a lot of cases where, on departure, the authorisation code was used, BUT the shadow posting was staying on the account for quite some time (up to 4 weeks in some cases, it seemed to take longer with Ulster Bank in the North than it did in the Republic for some reason), looking like the hotel had taken a second payment. This was causing some issue for some people, as the funds were on hold, they were not available to be withdrawn or used against direct debits.

The best thing for yourself to do is:

Use you Visa Debit card to pay for the accommodation there and then, and pay, if required by the hotel, a deposit for extras, which would be refunded on departure.

Give a credit card for authorisation, and then pay with the debit card on departure.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭chelbi

I got my new visa debit card last week and thought great I can use this in the north and not have any hefty Visa bill at the end of the month....I just discovered this morning that all the transactions that I made were not only charged the conversion rate but additional charges...I needed change for the carpark so withdrew £10 from a cash point this ended up costing me over €15 by the time the added the conversion and an additional €3.14 visa debit charge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I'm heading to the US at the end of the month and would be hoping to make a few purchases using this card.

Anyone got any feedback on experience using this specifically in the states?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I'm heading to the US at the end of the month and would be hoping to make a few purchases using this card.

Haven't used it in the US, but in the UK its much better to use it at the till rather than the ATM. The fee was much worse at the atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

chelbi wrote: »
    I got my new visa debit card last week and thought great I can use this in the north and not have any hefty Visa bill at the end of the month....I just discovered this morning that all the transactions that I made were not only charged the conversion rate but additional charges...I needed change for the carpark so withdrew £10 from a cash point this ended up costing me over €15 by the time the added the conversion and an additional €3.14 visa debit charge!!!

According to their site:

If you use your ServiceCARD, DebitCARD or CashCARD in a cash machine in the
    Republic of Ireland or the Eurozone, or in a cash machine owned by Ulster Bank, Easy Cash,
    Royal Bank of Scotland or NatWest in the United Kingdom, you will not be charged.

You must have used a different cash point?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭chelbi

Hi

Yes I used it in the north of Ireland so it was a sterling transaction...my gripe is that it cost me almost €15 for withdrawing 10 sterling..maybe that has always been the charge but it seems like a bit of a rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

I used it in the States this summer. It should work everywhere and I was getting charged about 5 euro for a 200 dollar withdrawal which isn't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Ok, I received my Visa Debit Card this morning.
    I don't have time to wade through this big thread to see if this has already been answered.
    So can some nice person answer the below:

I've had a Visa card for donkeys years. And an ATM card.
    Does this new card just do the job of both?
    Can I basically just scrap my old Visa card now?

Advertisement