Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freeview uk in sandyford/leopardstown signal update

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

Oh god, confusing stuff. As you confirm, it's all about getting as perfect a signal as possible before you start messing with masthead amps. Do NTL use RG11 or CT100 or what ? I have a big long length of black well screened with a foam dielectric which was used by NTL for an internal run in a building but cannot see any markings on it.

My Triax 100 (Divis H) is currently connected with a length of RG59 (old Wang Dual Coax cable - second cable to the contract 10 type aerial for Claremont Cairn V)). It's very well screened but the core looks like it's less than 1mm whereas the NTL stuff looks much thicker. The RG59 has a solid plastic dielectric.

Should I replace my RG59 with this other cable ? The Cable runs from the aerial into the attic (where it meets the masthead amp) so would be 10m at most.

Many thanks for your patience and advice

C

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They use RG6 mostly.

If the cable has foil and heavy screen braid without holes, then it's likely OK.

Any cable between aerial and mast amp should be VERY well screened, 1m minimum and 3m max. I've used PF125 where that's not possible. But it needs special F-Connectors and crimp tool.

Does the size of the centre conducting core matter hugely ? If the RG59 cable is maybe 0.8mm as opposed to the other stuff which is maybe 1.0mm.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

championc wrote: »
    Does the size of the centre conducting core matter hugely ? If the RG59 cable is maybe 0.8mm as opposed to the other stuff which is maybe 1.0mm.

C

All cables (coax/power etc) suffer from increased resistance per meter with a reduction in the cross section area of the cable.

So a 1mm cable will have a lower loss than a 0.8mm

Found this:

Copper wire resistance table

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/wiring/wire_resistance.html

To work out Xmm2 of Ymm diameter cable = Y/2 x 3.14. 0.8mm = 1.25 mm2. 1mm = 1.57mm2

yes. Skinnier cable usually higher loss than fatter cable.
    as per the link above in my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭timetunnel

the orignal post that started all these discussion has not being answered.
    signal up date on freeview uk in the sandyford / leopardstown.
    nobody as come back with information on what type of signal is being picked up around the area of south dublin.
    lets get the information around.
    on my latest test today with a 92 element wideband, i was picking up channels from wales 41 and 44. i have to say no major difference from what i was picking up with my 34 element wide band. took my group A aerial down was getting nothing.couple of months back i was picking up channels 22.24,27 and in and out 28. but have since lost them.
    i'm using a 2 meter pole attached to the chimney.
    how do you know what hight of pole you may need.
    people in the south of dublin picking up free view uk need to let people know what they are pulling in

I looked in Maplin today.

The "92" element aerial is 23 element. Nice size but poor shape reflector. Bad design of directors. Instead of -- screwed to boom via spacer or proper X directors it uses > < with large spacing of plastic. This means it's likely not much better than a conventional 21 element yagi and very likely to shed directors as the very large plastic flanges are UVed, Iced and flex in wind. Nearly 90 Euro, waste of money Complete junk compared to a UNIX100, which I wouldn't buy, I'd use 2 x Blake SR18

They also had a quite well made "Contract" style (i.e. small reflector) 18 Element aerial for 29 Euro. The cap for cable didn't look big enough to have a Balun inside it. However it will last probably 20 years.

They also had a copy of the Televis DAT75 triple boom, which is about a 13 Element aerial. Maybe the best aerial they have, but overpriced. The 6 Euro Indoor Aerial is now nearly 14 Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

My Triax 100 (Divis H) is currently connected with a length of RG59 (old Wang Dual Coax cable - second cable to the contract 10 type aerial for Claremont Cairn V)).

C
    Don't know your location.Obviously further south than me.:)

Ballinteer, Sth Dublin. Hope to change the RG59 over to RG11 some weekend soon

C

watty
    thanks for the good news.
    i'm sick.
    but i'd be dead if my wife found out the money i was wasting.
    won't be able to put two aerials side by side.
    what type of aerial would you recommend.
    i know i'll need a real 92+ element.
    not one that calls itself one.
    won't be able to get it for a while.
    put when i do.
    my wife won't be around.
    all recommendations welcome by all.

• Advertisement

There are NO real 92+ elements.

The biggest aerials are called 100 Element (i.e. Unix100). They are massive and are actually about 25 elements. A pair of Blake SR18 is more signal and less weight and less size. I have compared both on same pole.

All you need is a 1"/ 25mm pipe about 1m / 3ft long minimum. 1.2m might be better. Mount middle on the pole and an SR18 at each end.
    use 2 x indentical 1m cables to wire the aerials to a Splitter used as a combiner. use 0.25m cable from that to the mast amp lower on pole.

All that costs less than one Maplin "92" element or "UNIX100". More robust.

It's an absolute physical fact that as you make the aerial longer and add more aerials you get to a point where extra elements and more length makes very little difference. This is at about "two wavelengths" which at 600MHz UHF means there is little value in making an aerial much more than 1m long. The actual number of rods is nearly irrelevant. It's the overall length as 300/(Frequency in MHz) = metres wavelength.

But TWO identical aerials mounted far enough apart will obviously give twice the signal = 3dB more gain. Mount too far apart and you can't "match" the signals to add them together. That's why I recommend about 1m to 1.2m for UHF TV and IDENTICAL lengths of identical coax. Too close and they detune each other and the radio waves are shared so not so much gain.

To get more worth while gain, obviously you have to double the number of aerials each time.

This is absolutely basic physics and mathematics. Any particular amount of space only has a fixed amount of radio wave energy in it.

More than four aerials a dish is better. But at UHF it's a very big dish :(

Why does satellite use a Dish and TV doesn't?

The simplest answer is the amount of "space" the radio energy takes is related to wavelength about 0.5m for 600MHz UHF and about 0.025m for Satellite. So in the same space as one UHF TV wavelength you can fit nearly 20 Satellite TV wavelengths. The amount a dish captures is its area. PI x R squared. So a Dish of a particular size can catch almost 20 x 20 = 400 times more "RF signal" at 12GHz as at 600MHz. A UHF dish has to be very large...
    127356.jpg

This is also why Saorsat can use a smaller dish than Sky. It's nearly twice the frequency. The other reason will be that the centre of the beam will be on Ireland. We are at very edge of six of the seven beams used for Sky @28E.

I've simplified and ignored free space path loss. So a Sky dish doesn't really have 400 times more gain at 12GHz than 600MHz.

watty
    just trying to get my head around your thread.
    would i need to put a T piece on my pole.
    how far would both aerial need to be apart or could i have them vertical and what distance should they be apart

For Horizontal polaraisation:
    All you need is a 1"/ 25mm pipe about 1m / 3ft long minimum. 1.2m might be better. Mount middle on the pole and an SR18 at each end.
    use 2 x indentical 1m cables to wire the aerials to a Splitter used as a combiner. use 0.25m cable from that to the mast amp lower on pole.

use a Shelly Clamp to mount the cross bar on the top of the pole.

Mount the aerials on their holder on the cross bar.

If vertical polarised, then mount one aerial 15cm below of top pole and next aerial 1.2m lower. That aerial should be minimum 2m above anything else. Offset aerials from pole on their supply holder/arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gkp1

Timetunnel, Just getting back to your original question, I have a Triax Unix 52 group B (vertical) and a Wolsey WFAV-25 Variable 25dB Masthead amplifier mounted in my attic in Sandyford and I am getting pretty reliable reception from Arfon on channels 41 and 44. The amp needs to be turned to the max setting to get sufficient signal at the TV so I guess I am picking up a very low signal. As your aerial is outdoors I presume you should be able to improve on this.

GKP1, did you ever try pointing that setup at Kilkeel. My cousin near the IMI has Kilkeel OK.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gkp1

GKP1, did you ever try pointing that setup at Kilkeel. My cousin near the IMI has Kilkeel OK.

C

Never tried it, I think it would be pointing through the gable wall and neighbours adjoining house so would not be too hopeful! What's on offer from Kilkeel anyway?

Kilkeel would be BBC and ITV NI rather than Wales. However, you wouldn't get any Freeview until 31/12/2012.

Sorry for misleading you somewhat. I'm not sure as to what will happen to the Kilkeel transmitter post DSO or what strength it will be.

C

Kilkeel would be BBC and ITV NI rather than Wales. However, you wouldn't get any Freeview until 31/12/2012.

Sorry for misleading you somewhat. I'm not sure as to what will happen to the Kilkeel transmitter post DSO or what strength it will be.

C

I think post DSO for Kilkeel will be just 100W vs Divis's 100,000W.

The general rule of thumb is 1/5 the power of analogue. Kilkeel is just 500W analogue.

I'm sure the rule of thumb will need to be much higher if the signal from Divis is to reach around to Kilkeel. But yet it would seem crazy for Kilkeel to then have it's own mast and all that goes with it for just 100w or less. It's a great pity that we have to wait all the way until 31/12/2012 for DSO in NI. I am amazed that they didn't bring it (and more so Greater London) forward because of the Olympics. There again, maybe that's why they left it there until after then.

C

You get ONE guess as to why N.I. was set last in UK for A.S.O.
    Interference and delays in Irish DSO/ASO

• Advertisement

I'm sure the rule of thumb will need to be much higher if the signal from Divis is to reach around to Kilkeel.

Kilkeel does not receive its signal directly from Divis, but from a different reflector!

The signal is bounced twice before its beamed along the Irish Sea

The RX feed for this is recieved from a site at Killowen Mountain, NGR J207174, which is a purpose built active reflector (output channels, the same as the input channels) to give a reliable feed to Kilkeel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

watty wrote: »
    You get ONE guess as to why N.I. was set last in UK for A.S.O.

So that the DTT systems North & South could be "integrated"?

Is there a prize?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Kilkeel cannot receive a direct feed from any of the three main N.I. TX's, nor can it receive Camlough either (Five FM has to feed their Kilkeel "relay" with a dedicated feed). As already pointed out by mulligar, Killowen Mt. feeds the Kilkeel relay as an active reflector.

Final channel allocations for post-DSO broadcasting haven't been finalised, especially for relays though there is a provisional list on the Digital UK site with no ERP powers. On this list, Kilkeel is due to go on to new channel allocations when its analogue services are switched off, on E43, E46 & E50. These frequencies are cleared for vertical polarisation for up to 400 watts maximum ERP, but that's not to say they'll be eventually broadcast at that power - for example both the Castlederg and Lisbellaw relays are just 11 watts and 7 watts max. ERP respectively currently, but are both cleared for up to 250 watts at switchover.

BTW there is also no confirmed dates announced yet for DSO, except that Northern Ireland is scheduled to be the last UK region after Tyne-Tees (NE England) in the second half of 2012 and that the plan is for Limavady (& its relays) to go first, then Brougher Mountain and finally Divis.

Advertisement