Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High score game suggestions

Options
  • 23-08-2010 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

The King of Kong has inspired me to try and get some decent high scores in arcade classics.

Would anyone else here be intrested in getting an Arcade and Retro forum high score list going? Might be a bit of fun. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Sounds awesome :)

Don't have King of Kong though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055999985

here's the thread with vids

Also you can check the world record scores on http://www.twingalaxies.com

I often look at this and try beat some of the scores on it and you can submit your scores if you've recorded them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,532 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Tallon wrote: »
    Sounds awesome :)

Don't have King of Kong though :p

The film or the game? :P

If you haven't seen the film you really should. I should have watched it ages ago!

If you don't have Donkey Kong in MAME...you'll have to leave this forum and never come back. Sorry, that's just how it is :D

Doesn't just have to be limited to classics mind you. Rather than focus on one title per week (as was the way with a similar thread), the best thing to do is probably just put up any title and your high score. Screenshots would be great too but it's not really a necessity..unless you're claiming to have world record breaking numbers of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

This isn't retro but I'm posting it anyway, because it's my only decent videogame achievement :D
    IMG_2112.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

That's fairly impressive alright!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone want to challenge me to ghouls n' ghosts? :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Not me. Only arcade game I'm any use at is Aliens, 1 credit, finish it twice in a row (it doesn't let you continue any further). By no means that hard of a challenge I guess. Can't even remember if there's a max score you can get.

Master of the Universe

Did you make note of the score/points when you finished it? (tell me you did?!)

I was thinking about making this focus more on points. I've played through so many games over the years and been totally 'meh' about points. Might make me actually value some of those little things you can pick up in games :D

Oh and obvious rule about this, but have to say it anyway -You're only limited to one credit per game. I know points reset after 1 credit in a lot of arcade games, but I think in others they don't.

Going to give Metal Slug a go when I get home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No I didn't take down the score ever. Finished a few times on arcade machines and on hard on the megadrive which is pretty much arcade perfect :( Last time we did do something like this on boards I got to level 4 and have a screenie of my score:

Dude4.jpg

I'm pretty good at Metal Slug, Last score challenge only one other person beat me and the difference was that ****er on level 3 with the heavy machine gun that kept killing me.

For acade challenges you really have to define dipswitch settings as well.

Anyone want to do a score challenfe on Ikaruga? Can't seem to find anyone halfway decent and can destroy anyone on my friends list on live arcade within the first 15 seconds.

Bubble Bobble, rainbow islands and new zealand story would other good choices.

Master of the Universe

Ah yes, Mr Machine gun. The mini boss I had absolutely no problem with until you said that :mad:

Ikaruga is a great one for score keeping. Shame I'm so bloody bad at it! Will give it a go though.

• Advertisement

I really want to play Ikaruga but I can't get my dreamcast to play and games that I burn :mad:

You might have a newer Dreamcast that won't play copies.

That's what I thought, but it came with a few copied games and some of them work :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I used to be able to play Centipede for hours. It just looped on itself once it hit the fastest speed.

Unfortunately I no longer have the reactions of a young child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

For acade challenges you really have to define dipswitch settings as well.

Should someone actually break a world record, it would be a good idea to use the Twingalaxies dip switch settings. They are available on the website www.twingalaxies.com for different gaming platforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

That's what I thought, but it came with a few copied games and some of them work :confused:

Burn them as slow as your burner will permit. If your still having problems, try and get your hands on an old, working CD-R only drive - those new-fangled combo drives with DVD-malarkey are a PITA.

Master of the Universe

Okay Retr0, seeing as you're good at Metal Slug. I just had a game. One play. No restarts ;) See if you can beat me. And I mean no restarts! If you lose a life on the first level on your first go, tough **** :pac:

Took a few pics along the way for the craic.

Here we go! -

DSC_0706-1.jpg

I seem to have lost my pictures of the first two levels.

Here's how it went anyway.

Level 1 - perfect

Level 2 - little dude rolling the bombs after the miniboss got me. Lost a life. And all my POWs up till that section. So no points for them.

Level 3 - Half way through Mr Machine gun got me once.

Only one life left, oh no! - I'm not going to get much further.

DSC_0712-1.jpg

Phew! Level 3 finished. Almost got through with the tank too but the bastard got me with his laser just before he died.

DSC_0716.jpg

Level 4 finished! Both still on the same life. Go me.
    Again I did something really stupid and let a tank fall on my tank. Instant loss of tank.

DSC_0718.jpg

Ah!! ****!! some bastard got me with a rocket on level 5 :(

So close..yet so far.

I WILL 1cc this game!

But not this time.

Anyway, here's my score on one credit...death on level 5 -

DSC_0723.jpg

Master of the Universe

Right, I just found out a way of getting lots more points than that.

I'm trying that again.

/edit - Bah, was doing well until level 3/4 then lost it. Shame, as if I had of gotten to the same level as previous I'd have almost double the above score! Oh well, I know for next time.

Might be a while before I play it but you alreadyhave done better than me. Usually level 4 kicks my ass.

Master of the Universe

The main thing to do is just hold on to the tank as long as you can. You lose it and you lose. It was the main reason I got through level 4 unscathed.

I read that the best way of getting a high score in this is to keep knifing people. Gives you a lot more points. They were saying to just keep waiting for guys to come along and knife them. Almost wait until the time runs down.

It's hard to do though, as those bastards knife you back!

There's also a trick with the tank. If you get someone from as far away as possible with the cannon you get a cool 1000 points.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Beat Wigan 8-2 once in Pro Evo 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I went through a small period as a "scorer" with Rez on PS2 and Sonic Rush on DS.

Got mad salty when some guy trashed my scores though. And I don't have a 360 so no Rez HD for me =/

*My scores*.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Augmerson wrote: »
    Beat Wigan 8-2 once in Pro Evo 6.

Reckon me and the guys I play 5-a-side with could do that now, in real life.

Master of the Universe

Wanted to watch myself playing to see where the hell I was going wrong in level five. So I turned my webcam on the tv.

The video quality isn't too great, but it's watchable. Got up to level 5 with two lives still left. (Mr. Machine gun got the first one from me! gr) but lost it again. God damn it!

Shame as it wasn't a bad run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Cool vids, would have probably cost me about £10 to do that :)

What is that running on, is the framerate up to speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I like this thread idea a lot since I've never really felt the need to aim for high scores. Maybe we could suggest a game a week and have a bit of a competition to see who gets the highest score. Something everyone can easily play, mame or nes games that can be emulated so we can all have a go. Could be a bit of fun.

Master of the Universe

It's running on a Neo Geo AES home console on my TV :D

The only frame rate issues are my feckin webcam! I've tried recording via MAME but it just slows my PC down too much and becomes unplayable. Plus I'd rather play it on the real thing. Should probably invest in a video camera.

I tried to get that going before. Everyone got a chance to nominate a game but it kind of fell apart when people nominated tough games to elumate. I think the period to play it should be longer than a week as well. I remember it being a pain in the hole trying to keep up. It was a good way to introduce new games though. I discovered the genius of choplifter through it.

Robotron has to be one of the games though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I guess we could just discuss any suggestions in terms of emulation, or stick to older mame titles only maybe? Things you can run on most computers. How long is a reasonable time do you think?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Well if a week isnt long enough (which it's not), we could pick a few games at a time? Could pick three - one from each decade. At least it would mean people who rather classics could focus on that and vice versa.

Advertisement