Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stage 17 - Thursday, July 22 2010, Pau - Col du Tourmalet, 174 km

Options
  • 20-07-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭

ok a whole day to talk about this one
    will schleck attack -duh, can contador keep up
    who will win on th e tourmalet all to be BS'ed about here

although it could just end up like ventoux last year

gr215998_600.jpg

gr214618_600.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

So.........is this the stage to kill all stages, the one stage that will decide it all (although the TT will surely have a say aswell), will it be epic ?!:o I hope so, I'm really looking foreward to it. How do ye see it panning out ? Will there be attack after attack from other riders, or will the main protagonists set a furious pace from the start ? Eitherways I'm pushing the 'rec' button and hoping that this one is a classic ;)

Some text from today's indo: interesting:
    "It is a mountain I like, a long steep climb -- 17km -- with not too many sharp bends. The side we go up is a hard climb, but I will enjoy that.

"Rain is forecast, but I don't think it will influence matters, unless there's some crashes on the downhill before then. Wind, rain or shine, the Tourmalet is still the Tourmalet. I have improved my climbing. I don't think Alberto is going any slower than last year, but I think I'm faster. I don't believe I'll be beaten on the Tourmalet."

Close study of TV footage lead Saxo Bank to believe he lost 50 seconds on simply remounting and starting again and then had to regain momentum and pick his way through the field. Nonetheless they claim Schleck rode that last 2.8km of the climb a minimum of 35 seconds faster than Contador, who also had colleagues around to support him. If Schleck could replicate that form over a longer distance on the Tourmalet this afternoon it would set up one of the greatest finishes in Tour history.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

prob epic or a complete washout
    although i think contador will be going for the stage win if he has the legs as i dont think he'll want to win a tour without an open road stage win
    (or schleck and contador go at each other and menchov wins by 5 mins :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I think that Schleck has to attack this one -I don't think he's given up, or is happy at how things are, and he knows he has to put time into Contador to have any chance at the yellow (and he's probably praying for bucket loads of rain for the TT)

My predection -he'll stick Jens on the front at the foot of the Tourmalet, and get him to blow everyone other than the real contenders out of the water, then will attack as hard as he can (most likely to be drawn back by Vino), and will put a couple of seconds into Contador, but not nearly enough to win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Aside from the G.C , the Polka dot battle should be a great one - expect fireworks from Moreau and Charteau/BBOX desperately trying to defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Kelly was just on the French TV news. He was walking and pushing the bike on part of the climb. It is very cold here this morning with very heavy rain, thunder & lightning. Not a great day for Col du Tourmalet. If it stays like this there will be no TV coverage, rain is so heavy our BBC satellite is not receiving any signal.

fuuuuu.jpg

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »

Bl**dy mountains - it'll clear up by lunch (eternal optimist here)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Can't watch/listen to it here in work today, out on site, so will be just following from the yahoo/eurosport page, and here - so keep the updates coming! :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Cavendish FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

15c, still raining & no sign of a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Looking forward to this big time, though I reckon Tiny's version is the most likely way it'll pan out - I hope, but can't see, Schleck putting as much time into Contador as he needs.

I turned 30 today and my 'birthday treat' to self involves taking a half-day off work and getting home in time to be all setup to do the 25km run up to the Tourmalet on my Tacx Fortius as soon as the first rider hits that point. Will set the Tacx to reduce power requirements to 80% of the real thing and then see how far behind the pros time that puts me. Widescreen Tacx Tourmalet on one screen, Eurosport live TV on the other...it don't get more boy dreamer than that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Just heard a minute of the Eursoport audio feed and it said 'Carlos Barrera making a lone bid for glory' so he must be gone on a solo break.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Happy Birthday Frank!

I'm going to head out for a spin, would getting home for 2pm be a good time or can I leave it a bit later?

Just heard a minute of the Eursoport audio feed and it said 'Carlos Barrera making a lone bid for glory' so he must be gone on a solo break.
    Tuesdays highlights. Race starts at 12:30

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Frank!

I'm going to head out for a spin, would getting home for 2pm be a good time or can I leave it a bit later?

estimated time schedules here

http://www.letour.fr/2010/TDF/LIVE/us/1700/etape_par_etape.html

Who is your man Tony on eurosport? He just said "black socks are against the law" and chastised Wiggins for wearing them, saying they "look terrible".

He is my new best friend, move over Martyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

My predection -he'll stick Jens on the front at the foot of the Tourmalet, and get him to blow everyone other than the real contenders out of the water, then will attack as hard as he can (most likely to be drawn back by Vino), and will put a couple of seconds into Contador, but not nearly enough to win

+ 1, dont think he ll do enough for an overall win. I think Saxo should really get together and make thsi one of the toughest stages ever with a ferocious pace. they have to do everything they can to get it down to the two men as early on the tourmalet. schlek needs approx 2 mins which means he has to properly break contador and go early (although not mad early), but 2-3k out today wont be enough imho

• Registered Users Posts: 31,014 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't understand this. What's the disadvantage of having a Vino stuck on your rear wheel? Just ignore him.

Or do you mean Vino helping Contador bridge across?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Nice break. Although none of them would be among the best climbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Lumen wrote: »
    I don't understand this. What's the disadvantage of having a Vino stuck on your rear wheel? Just ignore him.

This is something i ve always found mind boggling, i totally understand not attacking when you are dragging a whole group along = pointless, but so often you see contador and schlek stop attacks because the other responds. why not just ignore them at least for few hundred metres and make a concerted effort and see if they really have the legs. hopefully thats what schlek will do today. ignore contador, vino or whoever else and just cycle as fast as he can to the top of the climb

Webcams on Pic du Midi 5km from Tourmalet

http://bagn.obs-mip.fr/webcamV2/

• Advertisement

Webcams on Pic du Midi 5km from Tourmalet

http://bagn.obs-mip.fr/webcamV2/

Temp: 5.6 °C.

Brrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Lumen wrote: »

Sorry, my eengleesh spazzed out there... I mean Vino helping Contador to bridge across

Sanchez is down and it looks bad!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Nasty weather at the top. Visabilty will be very poor.

Hopefully someone will make a move and not watch eachother like the last few stages.

Contador to take it my 40 secs

Now Berto is all mag-fecking-nanimous...

Now that's being a jerk! Nasty fall and away goes Sastre!

niceonetom wrote: »
    Now Berto is all mag-fecking-nanimous...

Schleck should pretend to drop his chain, just to screw with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I missed that crash I was re heating my lunch. Poor Sammy

So we've already lost audio from the top and we're about to lose live video too. Instead of watching a ding-dong battle up the Tourmalet narrated by Kelly we're going to listen to Carlton bloody Kirby whitter on about his holidays while watching recorded images from earlier in the day... or Bulgarian ping-pong or whatever else eurosport can show us live...

I refer you to the picture I posted above.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Ya looks like we are not going to see much of todays race with the weather and we dont have a hope of seeing the climb. Very disappointing

Advertisement