Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tommy Brady Memorial

• 16-07-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

On this Sunday in Navan, 12pm start, is anyone doing this? Is there all categories for the race and anyone any idea of distances involved?

I've never raced in a race and am not in a cycling club yet, can you pay one day licences to race or are you not allowed?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

On this Sunday in Navan, 12pm start, is anyone doing this? Is there all categories for the race and anyone any idea of distances involved?

I've never raced in a race and am not in a cycling club yet, can you pay one day licences to race or are you not allowed?

Thanks

Not a good one to start with. 12x8km laps and a handicap rather than separate races. The course also has a few tight technical bends.

You could take out a one day licence but realistically you need to go on club spins to get used to riding at speed in large groups.

The best way to go is club spins first followed by club races and then open races. Just in at the deep end and you'll have a very short race and will most likely be a liability in terms of safety (no offence there BTW).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Almost all races you can buy a one day license on the day which costs €10. About the only exception is the National Championships. You can then race in the A4 category. Note if not in a club you have to wear plain coloured kit; pro team kit is not allowed.

EDIT: As Rob says though probably not a great idea, especially as it is a handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

good advice from lads there. Did it today and was carnage. A1's and 2's did some damage to us A4's about 20 started and only 5 finished I think.

they did damage to the A3's too though.

No race for 3 weeks was a toughie to get back into it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Thanks for advice all, then what would be a good one to start with? Are there any open time trials either I could do and check out the racing scene? Or are summer leagues available to ODL people?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks for advice all, then what would be a good one to start with? Are there any open time trials either I could do and check out the racing scene? Or are summer leagues available to ODL people?

The calendar for open races is here (Excel spreadsheet).

Find something handy location wise that isn't a crit(erium) and get stuck in. Maybe something not too hilly for your first race.

We often have threads on here discussing upcoming races, keep an eye out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Look for something with a separate A4 race. Having said that, you would really want to be well used to normal group riding before entering a race IMO, on safety grounds.

Advertisement