Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

I actually disagree with you Watty. I think Real's selling point is that if they are prepared to provide the equivalent of the full Freesat EPG and carry the Irish terrestrials on a FTV/low sub basis and add some premium channels into the mix they will have the advantage that many people may not necessarily want to plant a second dish on their wall for Irish TV and want all their choice of TV out of one box so to speak.

Don't forget for many it's a struggle to get one dish up let alone two and if all your TV requirements can come out of one box and one dish then that's got to be an attractive proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

who pays for the RTE 28.2E carriage?
    FTV and/or low sub won't pay. RTE can't justify the high cost.

Yes, the idea of "Real's Proposition" is nice. But if kasat launch and commision succeeds, then the economics are rubbish. Even then it could be too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

watty wrote: »
    who pays for the RTE 28.2E carriage?
    FTV and/or low sub won't pay. RTE can't justify the high cost.

Yes, the idea of "Real's Proposition" is nice. But if kasat launch and commision succeeds, then the economics are rubbish. Even then it could be too expensive.

The Real proposition was never FTV. It was direct competition to Sky. The sub would be lower than Sky's basic sub with Sky+ type recording and all the BBC/ITVs that are currenty other channels on Sky. It was not modelled as a low cost RTE service.
    Real pay for carriage just like Sky do on their platform.

Any service launching as an Irish service legally has to carry RTE/TV3/TG4 and this includes satellite entrants.

There is still room for Real as a competitor to Sky in pay TV.

It would cost Real a lot to carry just RTE1 &2, TV3 and TG4. Real would have to pay full carriage costs (Astra/Eutelsat) and encryption royalties.

Their sub isn't going to compete with minidish Freesat + plastic box Saorsat. Also over 90% of people can have TV aerial + FTA combo box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

It would cost Real a lot to carry just RTE1 &2, TV3 and TG4. Real would have to pay full carriage costs (Astra/Eutelsat) and encryption royalties.

Their sub isn't going to compete with minidish Freesat + plastic box Saorsat. Also over 90% of people can have TV aerial + FTA combo box.

Aparently due to recession there is spare capacity and its viable but only when subsidised on a pay tv subscription basis.

I agree it ould be tough with the Saorsat option but i believe they are not competing with that. They are trying to compete with Sky. The masterplan is to add premium HD content and even Sky
    Sports and Movies (dependent on the ofcom wholesale rulings etc).

• Advertisement

I wish them luck. They need it. :)

They might real people like me in if they had a freesat content plus sky one and a few other premium channels in hd and RTE/TV3 etc with live pause etc for a very low cost.
    That and ppv hd content like premium movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

This might be a stupid question but I'm sure it's of interest to many people. Is there such a thing a quad or octo Ka band LNB's ? Or can the signal be split multiple ways via a distribution amp similar to that use for aerials ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yes there are, they are no different in that regard. You cannot split a satellite signal or use a distribution amp no matter what band it is.

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question but I'm sure it's of interest to many people. Is there such a thing a quad or octo Ka band LNB's ? Or can the signal be split multiple ways via a distribution amp similar to that use for aerials ?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

I've actually explained this.

If you wanted the whole band, yes you would need the Ka equivalent of Quad, Quattro, Octo etc. Tony is correct. The band is not relevant.

BUT virtually all Ka will be spot + frequency reuse, so unlikely you even get 1/4 of frequencies.

This means you can use Sat IF distribution splitters (and amps if feeding 30 receivers). TV ones are not good enough. TV amps won't work at all. You can probably spilt signal 4 ways without an amp unless you have a long feed. Four way Sat IF splitter for Distribution systems are not expensive. A PVR with two tuners will not need two feeds. just a splitter. All the Ka tuners would be on same part of band, so the normal splitting issues would not apply.

Of course nothing is stopping Eutelsat "chopping up" the band in a less sensible fashion for frequency reuse. But if there is to be no more than one amp/aerial/feed per spot, the spot has to have all the channels on same polarity. There are 80 spots. It's possible that spots on same polarity and different frequency use some common gear, thus a simple band split diplex filter is used. Ka frequency allocations I have seen do in fact have a guard "gap" in the middle unlike ku band which typically has maybe 4 satellites to fill the band.

So it's unlikely that Quad, Quattro or Octo ever needed.
    It's likely on Kasat that for any one spot all channels are same polarity and part of band

• Advertisement

True if they use only the one mux or two mux in the same polarity/band then in theory you could split but then we get into cable/amp losses so I think its going to be cheaper to go the lnb route or perhaps unicable . What happens though if another service starts that you want in the future on another polarity or band, you end up having to re cable.

Interesting times ahead Watty :)

So it's unlikely that Quad, Quattro or Octo ever needed.[/B] It's likely on Kasat that for any one spot all channels are same polarity and part of band

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

Having looked at this thread for 24 hours I am increasingly convinced its vapourware:

a) The target market is too small: 5-7% of Irish TVHH.

b) The technology is untried and untested and cannot be scaled down in a bespoke manner to the Irish market. Rain fade has always been a big issue with Ka band.

c) The logistics of integration with Freesat are highly problematic and VERY messy for the consumer.

d) It naively assumes zero competitive dynamics. Sky will whack them with a super counter offer to RTE and the Government. They are past masters at this. Just look at their counterstrike to BTVision's offer of Sky Sports in the UK begun today : not for the faint hearted or the commercially stupid.

e) As with everything technological in Ireland (see DTT passim) this will be debated endlessly for another decade.

f) Of course RTE may be hoping that Sky will come back with a FTV counteroffer which will kill this dead. That is probably RTE's hope.

What I'd like to see is an NPV calculation which included a) Risk evaluation b) addressable market c) project set-up costs d) competitive dynamics analysis e)technology cost appraisal.

PREDICTION: This is not going to happen but it will be discussed ad nauseam.

I'm 99.9% sure each spot is only one part of band.
    I'm 100% sure each spot is only one polarity.

Infact for the single dish Satellite Internet + TV to work, the ALL the downlink in the spot has to be same part of band and same polarity as they simply T the RX coax to Modem and setbox. The TX uses a separate higher band and opposite polarity.

Hotbird 6 13E ka layout
    120477.gif

You can see clearly on this the diplex filter guard band for frequency re-use per spot. (on downlink and uplink)
    (WARNING: This may not be the frequency plan for KaSat!) The Hotbird Ka @ 13E has only 4 spots. The Kasat has a staggering 80 spots. but only FOUR different sets of "frequency reuse". Thus kasat is a x10 version of the existing 13E Ka Tooway system.

The TX /RX separation is via clever mechanical diplex filter and polarisation splitter called an Orthomode Transducer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthomode_transducer

So it's about 99.999% likely that kasat and future Ka band we can use passive splitters, single output LNBs and only need an amp for maybe 8 or 16 way split. Unlike a TV aerial, there is a Cable driving high level IF amp in the LNB. The modern LNBs have a massive output level. The dish really sets the SNR. The splitter will attenuate noise too.

I'd imagine only Guest houses, Hotels, Apartments will need the 950MHz to 2GHz sat amps. You can get splitters that will do 5MHz to 2GHz, but I'd stick to 900MHz to 2500MHz splitters, better performance.

mrdtv2010 wrote: »
    Having looked at this thread for 24 hours I am increasingly convinced its vapourware:

Same technology working a few years
    WildBlue Satellite
    WildBlue has designed a state-of-the-art Ka-band communications system aboard our own WildBlue-1 satellite and Telesat's Anik F2 satellite, covering the contiguous U.S. with a total of 66 spot beams. Our satellites occupy a geostationary orbit 22,500 miles above the equator at 111.1° West Longitude. WildBlue chose the 20/30 GHz Ka-band frequencies and a spot-beam architecture as the most efficient and effective technology platform to offer broadband via satellite.

The Ka Tooway with four beams @13E is working.

Admittedly this is a big satellite. Biggest ever in Europe. But it's built and queued for launch.

This is exact same modem & dish used by Tooway here
    http://wildblue.com/aboutWildblue/how_it_works_demo.jsp

Each Transponder on Kasat can be used for TV/Radio or Tooway Internet.

Just ONE spot is about the same capacity of 1/4 of the four satellites that provide Sky/Freesat. Unlike previous systems the 80 spots allows us to have our own Irish spot. Up to half of it or more may be Internet. Irish Broadcast TV/Radio is unlikely to use more than 1/4. That's why it's cheap.

Sky/Astra/Eutelsat at 28E is easily x10 the cost. Excluding EPG and needed encryption

b) The technology is untried and untested and cannot be scaled down in a bespoke manner to the Irish market. Rain fade has always been a big issue with Ka band.

c) The logistics of integration with Freesat are highly problematic and VERY messy for the consumer.

d) It naively assumes zero competitive dynamics. Sky will whack them with a super counter offer to RTE and the Government. They are past masters at this. Just look at their counterstrike to BTVision's offer of Sky Sports in the UK begun today : not for the faint hearted or the commercially stupid.

e) As with everything technological in Ireland (see DTT passim) this will be debated endlessly for another decade.

f) Of course RTE may be hoping that Sky will come back with a FTV counteroffer which will kill this dead. That is probably RTE's hope.

What I'd like to see is an NPV calculation which included a) Risk evaluation b) addressable market c) project set-up costs d) competitive dynamics analysis e)technology cost appraisal.

I could not agree more.

This solution is a technically driven rather than a commercial solution to providing free access to Irish TV for viewers who cannot access DTT in the future.

It totally ignores the fact that there is a substantial base of satellite dishes pointing at 28.2E in the country and naively assumes someone will go to the trouble of installing a dish entirely for Irish TV.

A FTV TNTSAT-style system would have been more practical and possibly cost less than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

(a) The target market is too small if this was a commercial enterprise. However, It's to cover those places that can't get DTT. Part of RTE's public service remit. Cheaper than relays.

(b) Not an expert. Know more than most but that doesn't say much. It also says a lot. Most people who aren't anoraks or nerds aren't going to put up a second dish unless they have to. That would be the 5-7%. Many of those won't bother, they're Already getting RTE via SKY or are actually happy with Freesat.

(c)Agreed. Never underestimate the desire of people in Ireland to watch UKTV. if they have freesat already it'll take ages if ever for them to go and get this RTE service. Tell most people they'll lose RTE and they'd be mildly annoyed, Tell them UK services disappear and they'd go mad.

(D) There is no question if this starts to affect SKY, they'll make some sort of gesture. It's more likely of course that people that can receive DTT and have freesat will leave. It's not the last 5-7% they're worried about. They already have them in their grasp or these people don't care.

(e) If we use the past as a guide it will launch but as you say it'll take years. How's that RTE morning breakfast show going? or the International version of RTE to be launched on St Patrick's Day 2007 or 2008 or 2020.

The fact is that this service should be provided under public service terms. There are people out there that just want RTE and nothing else.

Typical customer so is: Not too interested in TV, RTE does them, they live in rural Ireland, They don't mind putting up a dish to receive pictures.

So max of say 10,000 and RTE can also use it as a back up.

How does €12M p.a. to more likely €21M p.a. cost less than €1.5M p.a.? It's COST driven, not tech driven.

It's not RTE's tech. they are renting this as it's at least 1/10th the cost of ANY possible other solution.

Also the capacity to have all the Irish services and simulcast in HD on Satellite doesn't even exist at 28.2.

This solution needs no SD / HD simulcast. Like Saorview, RTE can switch to HD on demand initially for special features and then HD only when full HD content is available. On installed Skybox base that's impossible.

We could be looking at 25,000+ households with no free Irish digital services without this, maybe 20,000 needing BIG aerials. RTE are in serious trouble if the launch fails as really the plan B doesn't exist. No money for more relays, which even at UK level of coverage we would have 10,000+ with no or poor DTT.

For SD the Saorview on 28.2E is €12M p.a. to more likely €21M p.a. For HD, it's €40M to €80M a year instead of €4M on Kasat, but the capacity for 9 new HD on 28.2 doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

I just can't understand the negativity being expressed by some people on the thread.

Cheers Tony and Watty for answering my earlier question.

One thing that makes me very negative is the complete lack of regard by RTE for the diaspora audience.

You seem to be assuming that this is some sort of business venture by RTE, it may be what it says on the tin i.e giving reception to those not covered by DTT.

• Advertisement

Your welcome. Once again thanks for your posts on other threads, you seem to be very well informed.

I just can't understand the negativity being expressed by some people on the thread.

A lot of the Negativity comes from the constant broken promises by the broadcast industry in this country. It took 10 years to launch TV3 after the licence was awarded. Various DTT consortiums have come and gone. RTE have never provided full broadcast coverage.

I remember in the 80's several people being harassed to buy a TV licence but they couldn't receive a signal. This system of course sounds like a solution but until it's up and running I'll have my doubts as will others.

I would also like to say that Tony and Watty provide some excellent details on not just this post but many, many others.

rlogue wrote: »
    It totally ignores the fact that there is a substantial base of satellite dishes pointing at 28.2E in the country and naively assumes someone will go to the trouble of installing a dish entirely for Irish TV.
    Of course they will if they never had it before.
    Those are rare lately because areas with houses that cannot get ATT have sky digital now for RTE and have had to pay the €22 a month.

This gives them the option to do a saorsat/Freesat combo for the first time or possibly an RTE sky card for the first time and significant savings.

I'd agree it is a technical solution but thats all it is supposed to be.
    Look at it this way,the saor sat audience is just the viewership of another transmitter for RTE and thats all.
    A tx that costs €1.5 million and a self financing one at that if it means some of the costly transposers can be decommissioned and others that would have had to be built,now won't be.

Simple.

Where are RTE going to find the 1.5 million to fund the Saorsat service when they said they didn't have the 1 million or so to fund the RTE International service?

Of course Eamon Ryan let them get away with it.

One thing that makes me very negative is the complete lack of regard by RTE for the diaspora audience.

I agree, but that's a completely separate issue. It should be funded by Dept of Foreign affairs, like almost every other country. Apart from a few half hearted SW Radio and RTE Radio on Satellite, we are one of the worst in the world in the nearly 90 years of Irish Broadcasting.
    Where are RTE going to find the 1.5 million to fund the Saorsat service when they said they didn't have the 1 million or so to fund the RTE International service?

It would cost more that that to run the last 7% to 5% of Terrestrial relays. The Roll out cost for the last 5% probably €15m.
    RTE International service is a Government idea and the Government should pay for it directly. This solution saves RTE money and ensures an identical copy of Saorview TV & Radio to people that would not get DTT no matter how much was spent.

This is 9 channels now, more later and 12 Radio channels. And backup feed for ALL RTE DTT & DAB feeds.
    Look here http://www.lyngsat.com/intel907.html
    scroll to bottom of page.
    Even BBC and Five don't use Sky for backup.
    I looked at this satellite for Internet and TV for Ireland. A real genuine commercial project. Not enough capacity left.
    Also while it's the only cheapish non 28.2E with Irish Spot it covers all of UK also. No use for Saorview without expensive card scheme.

Even the cheapest Real Digital TV non-Murdoch card scheme would cost more than €1.5M a year. I feel your pain about the ex-pat situation, but there isn't a "one fits all" scheme for Domestic TV and outside Ireland unless you are big country or don't speak English.

This is not a competitor to Sky & UPC. It's for people that don't want Sky or UPC and can't get DTT. Because the dish is tiny compared to a Sky/Freesat dish in Ireland (Zone 2) and can even be in a plastic box, people can easily have Freesat also. Possibly Freesat & Saorsat on one receiver. Unlike Sky it's almost certain one small dish (that is less obtrusive than MMDS and need not look like a dish) can feed any number of sets without multiple cables from dish or complex traditional Sat IF distribution gear.

From the Cap EX transmission budget which is borrowed according to their CFO the other day.
    Thats ultimately funded by the license fee.
    The diaspora don't pay the license fee so their reception of RTE should be a matter for the Department of foreign affairs as Watty said.

Even BBC and Five don't use Sky for backup.

Actually The BBC have used SKY for backup in the past in the channel Islands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bpb52

Ku,Ka Fta or FTV. Who cares.

Most of the junk shown on RTE is also on Sky.

I guess RTE will continue as "rip off" public service provider.

If they (rte) disappeared along with licence fee would anybody notice ?

Actually The BBC have used SKY for backup in the past in the channel Islands.

They probably still use it for some things, or Crowncastle or who ever minds the TX sites since the Government forced the sale of them.

• Advertisement

Thats a really constructive first post.

bpb52 wrote: »
    Ku,Ka Fta or FTV. Who cares.

?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement