If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do phillips TV's have a screen off but sound on function like on sony Bravia's?

Options
  • 03-07-2010 7:23pm

I'd like to buy phillips but want to use a bedroom tv as a radio sometimes with the screen off.

The sony's can do this with the screen completely off [as opposed to a screen save thing].

Can you do this with any phillips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Black Briar

I'm afraid none of our TV's have that function.
    I take it you receive the radio through UPC/SKY?

Try Richer Sounds in Belfast - they may have a solution

atb
    Ash

Thanks Ash,I actually receive radio through dtt down in Arklow co wicklow get a lot of good radio on freeview through an aerial pointed to Wales.
    The sony's have a power saving menu that lets you select full,reduced or screen off.
    With screen off you can have the radio on, lights out in the bedroom,it's very handy.

I'm in the market for a replacement TV for the living room though,I was in your store last week on a thursday at almost closing time and hopefully not annoying Nicola too much.
    I was looking at your then last remaining 8404.

I think I'll hold out for an led though to replace my existing almost jaded 42" philips plasma,it's a phillips 6 years old and going well for the tech that was there then :eek: Never a problem!

Questions-Would the new led's fit on that old plasma's wall brackets?
    The plasma slips into them.

Also do you have or will you ever have any Freeview hd compatible led's ? The ones with T2 decoders? I got a sagemcom freeview+ hd box in the UK a few weeks ago and it's receiving BBCHD and ITV1hd on our welsh aerial no problem and amazing picture quality [on the sony].
    It also decodes RTE digital perfectly,putting those channels in the 800's.

I live in one of the very few areas of the country that can currently get Freeview easily via UK overspill [wales in our case] on an aerial,it's great :)

Hi again.

Gez 6yr old plasma eh - about time that was replaced! glad to hear its going strong though.

None of our TV's have Freeview built in (or Freesat for that matter, though we do sell Sagem Freesat boxes to add to our/any TV's).

We have a couple of exciting LCD TV's LED backlighting tech to look at.

Check these out -

First up is the 40PFL8605H (I hope to have it in stock this week)
    http://www.philipsshop.ie/Spec%20Sheets/40pfl8605h_12_pss_eng.pdf

This TV uses the latest LED Edge lighting technology with an excellent 500000:1 contrast ratio
    200Hz refresh rate with 1ms response time
    Perfect Pixel HD Image processing engine
    Ambilight spectra 2
    Wired Net Tv
    oh and is a Full HD 3D Ready TV as well:D (3D glasses pack to be released later in the month)

As you'll see from the spec its very well featured TV
    we will sell this for €1699.99 but John has an 10% offer on pretty much all our new range of TV's until 10th July so its yours for €1529.99

Next up is the 40PFL7605H

check it out here - http://www.philipsshop.ie/Spec%20Sheets/40PFL7605h_12_pss_eng.pdf
    This is a really cool TV - we have it up and running in store (been popular with Boardies as well:))

Its not a 3D TV but its a very solid spec'd regular TV
    LED Edge lighting Tech
    500000:1 contrast ratio
    Pixel Precise HD Image processing engine
    100Hz refresh rate with 2ms response time
    1080p/24Hz compatible - naturally...
    ambilight spectra 2
    wired net tv
    We sell this beauty for €1299.99 but again as per John discount offer on the new lines, you can have it for €1169.99 until 10th July
    Both TV's come with 4 year warranties (this promo ends 31st July 2010)

These TV's sport a 200mm x 200mm mounting array so hopefully should fit your existing wall mount. If not we have options here for €49.99 that will do the job nicely.

Call on in for a demonstration if you like.

cheers
    Ash

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

I'm in the market for a replacement TV for the living room though,I was in your store last week on a thursday at almost closing time and hopefully not annoying Nicola too much.

I think I'll hold out for an led though to replace my existing almost jaded 42" philips plasma,it's a phillips 6 years old and going well for the tech that was there then :eek: Never a problem!

Questions-Would the new led's fit on that old plasma's wall brackets?
    The plasma slips into them.

Also do you have or will you ever have any Freeview hd compatible led's ? The ones with T2 decoders? I got a sagemcom freeview+ hd box in the UK a few weeks ago and it's receiving BBCHD and ITV1hd on our welsh aerial no problem and amazing picture quality [on the sony].
    It also decodes RTE digital perfectly,putting those channels in the 800's.

I live in one of the very few areas of the country that can currently get Freeview easily via UK overspill [wales in our case] on an aerial,it's great :)

BB,

Thanks a million for the post - just to correct a small issue that Ash stated - All Philips TV's do have Freeview & MPEG4 for Saorview, (just not Freeview HD)

If you are looking for a Freesat HD TV I have two good options for you:

Sharp LC42 CT2E £499.95 - Full HD - 1080P with 3 HDMI & 2 Scarts & of course Freesat HD included.

LG 42LE5900 - Really Super TV - Full HD, LED - 100HZ & of course Freeview HD for those lucky few who can access it in the ROI!

Thanks again & keep me posted if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks very much for that guys.

That LG is very very tempting [as are the philips!]
    I've sky hd piped into the living room by hdmi cable aswell,I presume that looks well on it? These are in Belfast? Same question as with the philips,do you think the LG might wall mount on the same brackets as the old philips plasma?

If they are in Belfast I'd really have to call up there and have a look which wouldn't be a problem but mightn't be for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Thanks very much for that guys.

That LG is very very tempting [as are the philips!]
    I've sky hd piped into the living room by hdmi cable aswell,I presume that looks well on it? These are in Belfast? Same question as with the philips,do you think the LG might wall mount on the same brackets as the old philips plasma?

If they are in Belfast I'd really have to call up there and have a look which wouldn't be a problem but mightn't be for a few weeks.

Black,

No problem - that's what we are here for!

Yep these will both look great with a Sky HDMI feed - we have just had the Sharps in and for the price the quality really is exceptional.

On the bracket subject - yep I'm pretty sure that it will fit onto the same bracket (most brackets are adaptable & designed for many TV's) but if not, you can twist our arms for a decent price on a replacement ;).

Yep again - these are on display in Belfast - it's worth a trip up - but always do give us a shout if you are coming so we can make sure that they are on display & in stock for you when you come.

Thanks again and do keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I'd like to buy phillips but want to use a bedroom tv as a radio sometimes with the screen off.

The sony's can do this with the screen completely off [as opposed to a screen save thing].

Can you do this with any phillips?

OP

Philips LED TV's can have sound on/screen off. It's called "mute screen", accessed by pressing green button.

:o:o:o:o:o
    Your correct, I'm wrong:o:o:o
    Big thanks to Dnme

Cheers
    Ash

dnme wrote: »
    OP

Philips LED TV's can have sound on/screen off. It's called "mute screen", accessed by pressing green button.
    \o/

Woooooohooo then :D

@ John - I'll still be looking for a philips[37 or 40] with a freeview hd decoder though for the bedroom and may look into a philips 46 for the living room if they have the hd tuner?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.