Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adams BBC One

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Winty wrote: »
    Can we get back to Adams

Did his neice appear in the interview

I only seen second half of it and it touched on it, not sure on the first half though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Don't put words into my mouth. I never said it was a good thing. But regardless:
    • Catholics had a vote.
    • Not all Catholics had poor housing conditions and plenty were employed.
    • Those that had poor housing conditions were there most likely because they were poor. The state is not responsible for that.
    • Most Catholics also weren't that well educated. But you wouldn't consider that a obstacle to employment would you?

So you're saying that the civil rights movement should never have taken place?
    Winty wrote:
    Can we get back to Adams

Did his neice appear in the interview ?

Like clockwork.

Has his niece criticised him? If so, please provide a link to the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Nodin wrote: »

Put Gerry Adams Niece into Google.

1st Result

A Row erupted between Gerry Adams and his niece after she claimed he did not do enough to stop his brother working with children.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8478237.stm

Adams' niece slams both Sinn Féin and PSNI as her uncle calls for party leader to resign

http://www.tribune.ie/news/article/2010/jan/24/aine-tyrell-gerry-adams-is-still-lying-about-abuse/

And your point in seeing her interviewed would be to go over this again?

• Advertisement

So we should bury the past, like Bloody Sunday.

Dont be hypocritical, Adams should have done more to stop his brother and as a member of a political party his life is open to the public.

He does not have a great record on honesty

Looks like I hit a sore point, Nodin does not like it when Mr Adams is questioned

So we should bury the past, like Bloody Sunday.

Dont be hypocritical, Adams should have done more to stop his brother and as a member of a political party his life is open to the public.

He does not have a great record on honesty

I never said she shouldn't be interviewed. What I'm trying to get at is whether you're trying to make a valid point or indulge in more SF bashing for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Looks like I hit a sore point, Nodin does not like it when Mr Adams is questioned
    Its easy now to look back on Gerry's actions, or lack thereof and condemn them. However I agree that he should have done more, but at least he did something. But we don't have all the facts.

This doesn't take away from the great work that he has done, in my mind anyways. People are a lot more willing to discuss these things since the abuses in the RCC have come to light.

I never said she shouldn't be interviewed. What I'm trying to get at is whether you're trying to make a valid point or indulge in more SF bashing for the sake of it.

No Bashing

Mr Adams as the leader of what is now the largest Party in the North has not got a perfect track record and I think I am allowed to question him.

Can we trust his honesty

• Advertisement

Can you trust ANY politicians honesty? I think he is more honest than most.

I never said she shouldn't be interviewed.

I never said that you said that she should not be interviewed

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Can you trust ANY politicians honesty?

I cant disagee with that

Can you trust ANY politicians honesty? I think he is more honest than most.

Indeed. Personally I think he handled it badly and should have (if he hasn't) made plans to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Handled it badly? He sent her a copy of his book in which he thanks the man who raped her, "Our Liam."

Put simply Gerry Adams and the truth are mutually exclusive concepts, although nowadays he's revelling in "pipe and slippers" interviews on inane chat-shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

How are they not illegally occupying Northern Ireland? I dont have a problem with religions or anything, i think the people of the north should be free from London influence, which is finally looking the case. .

Big problem there. If Britain pulled out of NI tomorrow we would all starve. The subvention from London is currently around £7 billion pounds and over 65% of all employment is created by the government. The total GDP is only £20 billion ish..... NI just wouldn't survive without London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

POINTBREAK wrote: »
    Big problem there. If Britain pulled out of NI tomorrow we would all starve. The subvention from London is currently around £7 billion pounds and over 65% of all employment is created by the government. The total GDP is only £20 billion ish..... NI just wouldn't survive without London.

Sure they can join our shambles of a republic :) we can all be broke and hungry together lol

Nah i get what you are saying though, huge mess of a situation! alot of workto be done there i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I thought the documentary was really good. An honest piece of work from the BBC.

Anywhere where one can see it now?

Anywhere where one can see it now?

You can see it on BBC Player. But they block it in Ireland :( You can use a firefox plugin to get around it.

• Advertisement

It's not on iplayer just yet btw, but it will be ina few days.

dlofnep wrote: »
    It's not on iplayer just yet btw, but it will be ina few days.
    Ah that explains why I cant find it! Never used it before so there is plenty to keep me occupied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Turned it off after 10 mins

Self congratulating, third-party platitudes galore, type of rubbish!

+1

This.

I was hoping for a probing documentary that explored the transition from Adams the revolutionary to Adams the peacemaker. A CRITICAL documentary. What it was was a hagiography, a blinkered perception of what the 'New Northern Ireland' is all about.

Not that this isn't interesting or useful in itself, but from an intellectual perspective its utterly vacuous. I personally like Gerry Adams, I think he risked a lot for peace, but I don't like his politics and I don't like his party. I would have liked a deeper analysis of the political strategies, not some mildly disinteresting bloviating from self congratulatory peacemakers from all camps.

By the way, was I the only one with my face in my palms while listening to Barbara Streisand speak? Honestly, lets leave this pathetic cult of personality at the door. I'm glad Adams acknowledged that she is just an ordinary person.

Denerick wrote: »
    ............ I'm glad Adams acknowledged that she is just an ordinary person.

After seeing 5 minutes of Yentl, I would have put her alongside Robert Mugabe, but perhaps we should extend the hand etc........

After seeing 5 minutes of Yentl, I would have put her alongside Robert Mugabe, but perhaps we should extend the hand etc........

LOL! I sat through that whole film one time in a mild state of inebriation. A crime against humanity indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

The only problem is that only for him and others like him there would have been no need for a peace process.

EDIT: For whatever reason, "others like him" was grossly misinterpreted by some people; see post 10 below for clarification.

perhaps if you lived in northern ireland and faced the discrimation that nationlist faced you might understand why men like adams etc existed

danbohan wrote: »
    perhaps if you lived in northern ireland and faced the discrimation that nationlist faced you might understand why men like adams etc existed

Perhaps if you lived in northern Ireland and faced the discrimination that nationalists faced you might understand why men like Hume existed.

Denerick wrote: »
    Perhaps if you lived in northern Ireland and faced the discrimination that nationalists faced you might understand why men like Hume existed.
    men like hume existed right throughtout the history of northern ireland , they were ignored as was john hume , the only thing that brought change in northern ireland and unionist attidude was a war unfortunatley

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I admit that it was bad and that people had a right to protest but I truely believe that however bad it was it wasn't worth one human life.

did you live in northern ireland at that time ?, did you visit at that time ? were you even alive at that time ? , if not you know nothing about it .

• Advertisement

Can we get back to Adams

Did his neice appear in the interview

no , but next week they are going let dr no talk all about kincora , why dont you grow up winty , your peddling that line bs on several threads

Advertisement