Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TOUR DE FRANCE 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

keano007 wrote: »
    Roche is definetly worth a bet but only for a stage win. overall I'd imagine a top 15 in the gc would be a realistic result for him....

I think a top 15 is possible for him if he has the full support of his team, but won't a stage win be less likely if he's looking for a decent GC result? I'd have thought that his best chance of a win would be to get into a break, but if he's in the top 20 on GC he probably won't be allowed get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

^^^agree^^^

i think nico was lucky to be allowed sneak away in a few breaks last year at TdF!!

Teams will watch him even more now given his performance last year and in early season so far!!

Yellow jersey in his team helped last year.... Maybe !!

But ge should get a stage this year, he really needs to decide whether top20 on GC is a priority or stage wins....

Just my thoughts!!

I love his style of racing though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

cipo wrote: »
    But ge should get a stage this year, he really needs to decide whether top20 on GC is a priority or stage wins....

Just my thoughts!!

I love his style of racing though!!!

+1, and in a way this would surely mean shedding some pounds. any schlek who is 3inches taller is approx 5kilos lighter and contador who is half an inch shorter is 8 kilos lighter.

It's great watching him in breaks and great that he can sprint but he has to decide what his priorities are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

cav pulled out of the national road race championships yesterday early on .

lance ,facedbooked ..last hard ride before the tdf .test on col de la madone ,record time ? no .close to it ? yes .im ready ..

bring it on .

Nico reported being 4kgs lighter at start of 2010 season in comparison to start of TdF last year.....

And somehow managed to not put on any weight when he was forced to rest due to torn hamstring about 6-8 weeks ago!!!

Very impressive.......!!!!!!

So he's right on it.... Forced rest blessing in disguise I reckon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

cipo wrote: »
    ^^^agree^^^

i think nico was lucky to be allowed sneak away in a few breaks last year at TdF!!
    On the other hand he had to spend 8 days defending the team's yellow which restricted his options quite a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Diarmuid wrote: »
    On the other hand he had to spend 8 days defending the team's yellow which restricted his options quite a bit

Gave him a great excuse to loiter around the back of one breakaway without doing any work though... :D

Haha yes he got dogs abuse off a few in the break too!!!

Quality though, entitled to sit in... !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Not getting the Irish jersey may be a blessing in disguise for Nico. He will be harder to identify by other teams which may help him get away a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

kennyb3 wrote: »
    +1, and in a way this would surely mean shedding some pounds. any schlek who is 3inches taller is approx 5kilos lighter and contador who is half an inch shorter is 8 kilos lighter.

It's great watching him in breaks and great that he can sprint but he has to decide what his priorities are.

are them stats correct?

cancellera cannot possibly be lighter than Nico, surely???

• Advertisement

:confused::confused:cancellara is circa 80kg so approx 10kg heavier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have seen no evidence whatsoever that Roche has what it takes to actually win a race or stage. He is exciting to watch but that's it. If I were time I would target consistency and a high GC spot. Top 10 would be fantastic and he is probably not that far way (but either are about 35 other guys).
    I think if he actually managed a stage victory it wouldprove to him that he could win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Lance has just tweeted it's his last tour..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Junior wrote: »

I think you might be in with a shout for "post of the day" :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Junior wrote: »
    ...of 2010?

Sometimes I wonder if he'll ever go away.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Could someone post up the current odds for overall general clasification ?
    I cant get into PP at work.
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have seen no evidence whatsoever that Roche has what it takes to actually win a race or stage.
    He got a couple of good placings in the Tour last year. This year he is a year older and more mature in the legs and has the benefit of those experiences from last year. This year he'll also have a team pulling for him.
    Not direct evidence, but circumstantial at least that he might get one.

[URL="javascript:nonfbm_toggle('nonfbm7924915');void(0);"]Hide [/URL]

A Contador [URL="javascript:void(0)"]8/13 [/URL]A Vinokourov [URL="javascript:void(0)"]100/1 [/URL]J Gadret [URL="javascript:void(0)"]225/1 [/URL]A Schleck [URL="javascript:void(0)"]7/1 [/URL]N Roche [URL="javascript:void(0)"]100/1 [/URL]S Casar [URL="javascript:void(0)"]225/1 [/URL]L Armstrong [URL="javascript:void(0)"]9/1 [/URL]D Cunego [URL="javascript:void(0)"]100/1 [/URL]M Monfort [URL="javascript:void(0)"]225/1 [/URL]B Wiggins [URL="javascript:void(0)"]16/1 [/URL]F Cancellara [URL="javascript:void(0)"]125/1 [/URL]J Fuglsang [URL="javascript:void(0)"]250/1 [/URL]C Evans [URL="javascript:void(0)"]22/1 [/URL]V Karpets [URL="javascript:void(0)"]125/1 [/URL]Syl Chavanel [URL="javascript:void(0)"]250/1 [/URL]F Schleck [URL="javascript:void(0)"]25/1 [/URL]E Boasson Hagen [URL="javascript:void(0)"]125/1 [/URL]S Gerrans [URL="javascript:void(0)"]250/1 [/URL]D Menchov [URL="javascript:void(0)"]25/1 [/URL]T Martin [URL="javascript:void(0)"]125/1 [/URL]A Moinard [URL="javascript:void(0)"]250/1 [/URL]I Basso [URL="javascript:void(0)"]25/1 [/URL]T Lovkvist [URL="javascript:void(0)"]150/1 [/URL]R Uran [URL="javascript:void(0)"]275/1 [/URL]R Gesink [URL="javascript:void(0)"]35/1 [/URL]T Danielson [URL="javascript:void(0)"]150/1 [/URL]R Nocentini [URL="javascript:void(0)"]275/1 [/URL]J Brajkovic [URL="javascript:void(0)"]50/1 [/URL]C Le Mevel [URL="javascript:void(0)"]150/1 [/URL]Y Popovych [URL="javascript:void(0)"]275/1 [/URL]S Sanchez [URL="javascript:void(0)"]50/1 [/URL]C Horner [URL="javascript:void(0)"]150/1 [/URL]J J Cobo [URL="javascript:void(0)"]275/1 [/URL]R Kreuziger [URL="javascript:void(0)"]55/1 [/URL]L Gerdemann [URL="javascript:void(0)"]150/1 [/URL]C A Sorensen [URL="javascript:void(0)"]275/1 [/URL]A Kloden [URL="javascript:void(0)"]60/1 [/URL]J M Soler [URL="javascript:void(0)"]175/1 [/URL]R Di Gregorio [URL="javascript:void(0)"]325/1 [/URL]L Leipheimer [URL="javascript:void(0)"]66/1 [/URL]P Fedrigo [URL="javascript:void(0)"]175/1 [/URL]T Voeckler [URL="javascript:void(0)"]500/1 [/URL]M Rogers [URL="javascript:void(0)"]75/1 [/URL]J Van Den Broeck [URL="javascript:void(0)"]175/1 [/URL]C Moreau [URL="javascript:void(0)"]500/1 [/URL]C Sastre [URL="javascript:void(0)"]75/1 [/URL]V Efimkin [URL="javascript:void(0)"]175/1 [/URL]G Hincapie [URL="javascript:void(0)"]500/1 [/URL]C Vandevelde [URL="javascript:void(0)"]75/1 [/URL]D Millar [URL="javascript:void(0)"]200/1 [/URL]M Cavendish [URL="javascript:void(0)"]1000/1 [/URL]L L Sanchez [URL="javascript:void(0)"]80/1 [/URL][URL="javascript:void(0)"][/URL][URL="javascript:void(0)"][/URL]Each Way Odds 1/4 places 1,2,3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

He got a couple of good placings in the Tour last year. This year he is a year older and more mature in the legs and has the benefit of those experiences from last year. This year he'll also have a team pulling for him.
    Not direct evidence, but circumstantial at least that he might get one.

He has not won anything despite all the placings and attacks. He livens up a race, but has shown no aptitude for winning.
    Guys in his age bracket (Schleck, Kruizinger etc and Sagan (much younger)) do win.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Hide

A Contador 8/13 A Vinokourov 100/1 J Gadret 225/1 A Schleck 7/1 N Roche 100/1 S Casar 225/1 L Armstrong 9/1 D Cunego 100/1 M Monfort 225/1 B Wiggins 16/1 F Cancellara 125/1 J Fuglsang 250/1 C Evans 22/1 V Karpets 125/1 Syl Chavanel 250/1 F Schleck 25/1 E Boasson Hagen 125/1 S Gerrans 250/1 D Menchov 25/1 T Martin 125/1 A Moinard 250/1 I Basso 25/1 T Lovkvist 150/1 R Uran 275/1 R Gesink 35/1 T Danielson 150/1 R Nocentini 275/1 J Brajkovic 50/1 C Le Mevel 150/1 Y Popovych 275/1 S Sanchez 50/1 C Horner 150/1 J J Cobo 275/1 R Kreuziger 55/1 L Gerdemann 150/1 C A Sorensen 275/1 A Kloden 60/1 J M Soler 175/1 R Di Gregorio 325/1 L Leipheimer 66/1 P Fedrigo 175/1 T Voeckler 500/1 M Rogers 75/1 J Van Den Broeck 175/1 C Moreau 500/1 C Sastre 75/1 V Efimkin 175/1 G Hincapie 500/1 C Vandevelde 75/1 D Millar 200/1 M Cavendish 1000/1 L L Sanchez 80/1 Each Way Odds 1/4 places 1,2,3

An each way bet on Basso and Frank Schleck at 25/1 looks like decent value to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Hermy wrote: »
    ...of 2010?

Sometimes I wonder if he'll ever go away.:(

+1

i have the same ambivalence to armstrongs comeback as i do to schumacher's (in F1), i really dont think he's brought anything to the party when it comes to cycling in general (he may have livened the tdf for a bit but i watch a lot more cycling than that.

Pretty fair odds list that couldnt disagree with much in there (although i think thats the odds on cavendish finishing this year)

merckx on the ventoux 1970
    000_par2003062315365_600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Liamo08 wrote: »
    An each way bet on Basso and Frank Schleck at 25/1 looks like decent value to me.

Ive been scared off betting on Frank with the whole Saxo Bank debacle
    “I will now review the case of Fränk Schleck, which means I must have a serious talk with him. When I have had the talk, I will report the consequences,” Riis told TV2 Sporten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

ROK ON wrote: »
    He has not won anything despite all the placings and attacks. He livens up a race, but has shown no aptitude for winning.
    Guys in his age bracket (Schleck, Kruizinger etc and Sagan (much younger)) do win.

Couple of things on this. I think people need to forget last seasons results to determine his performance this year. Last year he did very well and could have had a stage or two victory had he not broke his bo***x defending the yellow early on.

This year however he is coming back from injury in a not overly great year for him. It's going to be difficult but being the leader of the team now I do fancy him for a stage win. Not the tour obviously but maybe a stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Best place to watch the tour online?

Can't wait to watch it. Whatever about Lance and people's gripes with him, I'm a fan and will be cheering him on...

AlanD wrote: »
    Best place to watch the tour online?

Can't wait to watch it. Whatever about Lance and people's gripes with him, I'm a fan and will be cheering him on...

i've got eurosport player this year but might record itv4 to watch at home, apparently they are showing very stage live thiu year (according to advert last night)

actually forgot TG4 streamed it last year and it was ione of the most reliable feeds i saw

if not streams come up on here http://www.cyclingfans.com/ once the racing starts

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Due to a cancellation we have a room with 4 single beds available from 21st July, which is the rest day between the 2 big stages here in the Lavedan Valley.
    paddy@velopeloton.com

^^^where best to watch online^^^^

defo got to cyclingfans.com .... They ll have every possible link available!!!

I'm struggling with work as I m out of office alot......

So... Anyone with an iPhone... There s a eurosport player app!!!

Free app... 3€ subscription per month(I'll cancel it straight afterwards)
    and it's brilliant... It actually works brilliantly!!!

Watched british road champs on Sunday live on it without any pic break- up whatsoever!!!!

Just a heads up for anyone who is stuck...

Ps good evaluation of nico Roche above I'm biased and possibly see him as bwing more capable than he is...!!! I ll keep sending the good vibes to him though!!

sport at 7 tonight had an interview with nicholas roche
    extended interview on the podcast

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_sportat7.xml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭gipo2

i've got eurosport player this year but might record channel4 to watch at home, apparently they are showing very stage live thiu year (according to advert last night)

Its live on ITV4 not channel 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Liamo08 wrote: »

Or bet against Contador at 8/13. Those odds are too short. It's a long tour and there's plenty of time for things to go wrong.

Advertisement