Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] Belturbet Railway and Vintage Restoration

Options
  • 21-06-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

We are based in Belturbet Train Station and we are a Newly formed Railway and vintage group. We would like to invite anybody interested in getting involved in our group to get in touch. We are currently Restoring a orginal Cavan and Leitrim Wagon
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001250102768#!/album.php?aid=932&id=100001250102768&ref=pb3
    We are also on the look out for any narrow gauge rolling stock or track anyone may have lying about :-) As long term we would love to relay some of the Cavan and Leitrim Line from Belturbet.

Regards
    Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

good for you...the very best of luck....got any photos?

should have checked the link fiorst shouldnt I....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Only a minor detail but you should really spell Cavan correctly on the FB page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

JHMEG wrote: »
    Only a minor detail but you should really spell Cavan correctly on the FB page.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Good luck, you're going to need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Ive seen an amateur film that was shot there and combined shots of an RPSI steam loco. It was very convincing. So try to promote the film industry angle.

• Advertisement

boards .ie really needs a seperate section for rail fan posts I think....i think it would be popular..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

corktina wrote: »
    boards .ie really needs a seperate section for rail fan posts I think....i think it would be popular..

We already have: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1193

whatever it is, it wont let me in....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭SeanW

That's the Ranting and Raving forum.

What relevance it has to this ... no clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

SeanW wrote: »
    That's the Ranting and Raving forum.

What relevance it has to this ... no clue.

rail fan posts usually descend into Ranting and Raving anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

corktina wrote: »

There was a Railway forum request submitted in new forum requests back in February. Still to be decided on afaik.

heretage railway matters are very popular...

lynchiered - I wonder if you can tell me if this survivor from the GSRPS (Mallow) is still at Belturbet and, if so, what state is it in?

wlwr001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lynchiered

lynchiered - I wonder if you can tell me if this survivor from the GSRPS (Mallow) is still at Belturbet and, if so, what state is it in?

wlwr001.jpg

It is indeed it has been in storage at the station now for a few years but we intend to restore it as soon as funds allow us. We are currently restoring a orginal C & L Narrow gauge wagon as seen of our facebook

Paul

The carriage was CIE PW Departmental No.465a. ex.Waterford, Limerick & Western Railway Family Saloon No.900 of 1891 (?) - I have mislaid my file on it. The carriage was used by the WL&WR as a Royal Saloon in 1897 to transport the Duke & Duchess of York from Limerick to Killaloe and Adare during the occasion of their visit to Ireland. Full details here: http://books.google.ie/books?id=EznE61Gfn-0C&pg=PA65&lpg=PA65&dq=1897+Royal+Visit+to+Ireland&source=bl&ots=Anid1tXGxB&sig=g87qXj6nksncbmI4b4w7cmZ4GzI&hl=en&ei=dlAiTJXbGJv60wT0yIH7BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CC0Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=1897%20Royal%20Visit%20to%20Ireland&f=false

The Duke of York was later to become George V on the death of Edward VII in 1910. The link above concerning the tourist authorities attempts to capitalise on the royal visit is particularly interesting given Biffo's announcement today of an impending visit by the current British monarch. All that aside this carriage is probably the single most important 'unpreserved' railway vehicle on the island and it does not deserve to end its days marooned in Belturbet. A considerable amount of time, money and voluntary effort by the GSRPS went into rescuing the carriage from Claremorris in the mid-1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

Very interesting, good to see it has survived. It could be far worse than it ending up at Belturbet, hopefully in time the group there will restore it, better than it end up scrapped anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the front of that looks like a wooden version of the 08 shunter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

The carriage was CIE PW Departmental No.465a. ex.Waterford, Limerick & Western Railway Family Saloon No.900 of 1891 (?) - I have mislaid my file on it.

That's extremely impressive without files. All the details are correct.

Very interesting, good to see it has survived. It could be far worse than it ending up at Belturbet, hopefully in time the group there will restore it, better than it end up scrapped anyway.

We sure will, hopefully after christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

lynchiered wrote: »
    We sure will, hopefully after christmas

That's great to hear, best of luck with the project.

Belturbet Railway Open Day, Sunday 25th July! Explore the legacy of The Great Northern Railway and the Cavan and Leitrim Narrow Gauge Railway, Films, Tours, Photos etc on the day + Car Boot Sale in the Car park starting 9am ALL WELCOME!!

The carriage was CIE PW Departmental No.465a. ex.Waterford, Limerick & Western Railway Family Saloon No.900 of 1891 (?) - I have mislaid my file on it. The carriage was used by the WL&WR as a Royal Saloon in 1897 to transport the Duke & Duchess of York from Limerick to Killaloe and Adare during the occasion of their visit to Ireland. Full details here: http://books.google.ie/books?id=EznE61Gfn-0C&pg=PA65&lpg=PA65&dq=1897+Royal+Visit+to+Ireland&source=bl&ots=Anid1tXGxB&sig=g87qXj6nksncbmI4b4w7cmZ4GzI&hl=en&ei=dlAiTJXbGJv60wT0yIH7BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CC0Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=1897%20Royal%20Visit%20to%20Ireland&f=false

The Duke of York was later to become George V on the death of Edward VII in 1910. The link above concerning the tourist authorities attempts to capitalise on the royal visit is particularly interesting given Biffo's announcement today of an impending visit by the current British monarch. All that aside this carriage is probably the single most important 'unpreserved' railway vehicle on the island and it does not deserve to end its days marooned in Belturbet. A considerable amount of time, money and voluntary effort by the GSRPS went into rescuing the carriage from Claremorris in the mid-1980s.

Thanks for that info Judgement Day, Is there any chance we can get a copy of your file on this carriage?

Advertisement