Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair/Head shaver advice

Options
  • 23-04-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭

Hope I have this in the right place. As I'm sick and tired of paying twice a month to have my head shaved bald (I've a monks hairstyle otherwise). I'm wanting to get a good re-chargeable head shaver, one that I can take in the shower with me.I was looking at the Remington HC-620, can anyone give me any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Go to argos.co.uk & read the reviews on them there , the Irish site doesn't offer them. I always found it a great help when buying things for the OH.

Amazon could have reviews too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

OP, I've moved your post to here, the Facial hair & Hats forum where there is a wealth of razor and shaving information.

Mods: If I'm wrong in my assumptions or the OP doesn't get any responses then kick the thread back to me. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Thanks for moving here (didn't know there was such a forum) and thanks for the argos.co.uk review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Having wasted money on rubbish clippers before i wouldn't go for anything else. You won't be able to take it in the shower, but it gives an excellent, comfortable cut and will last years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Super-Taper-Hair-Clipper/dp/B000GI3V1G

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Have a gander on that item's Sellers list, there are cheaper sellers of that particular Wahl. As low as £34.15.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000GI3V1G/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Lovely item. I am tempted. I pay to have my head shaved (blade 2, blade 1 on the sides) every 4-6 weeks. This would pay for itself in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Thanks for the replies all. While I might be able to do without a waterproof trimmer I would definitely need a cordless/re-chargeable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

I shave my head every 1-2 weeks blade 1, I have tried a number of clippers over the years. Cordless seem to be fine for a beard trimmer but in my experience you would need the extra power to shave your whole head. However I have thick hair so that may not be an issue for you.

There are a few reviews of cordless trimmers here

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I use the Philips QC5170 (Link) myself, and have it a couple of years now, and it does a fantastic job.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

padi89 wrote: »
    Having wasted money on rubbish clippers before i wouldn't go for anything else. You won't be able to take it in the shower, but it gives an excellent, comfortable cut and will last years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Super-Taper-Hair-Clipper/dp/B000GI3V1G

+1;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I have this trimmer now. It is a beast, very very heavy though. You'll need your other half\friend\passer-by\Mammy to trim your hair for you.

There's a Salon supply opposite the Abbey Street entrance of Easons on O'Connell Street in Dublin. They stock it. 60 euro odd though. It'll pay for itself in no time.

Terrisales Salon Supplies - 71 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin 1.

That's where I got mine. I tried to order on Amazon from about 3 retailers, but Ireland seems to have a block on certain types of goods from Amazon. Not sure if it is an electrical issue (WEEE Directive?) or weight, or.. in any case, I just couldn't process my order.

Here's a few quick pictures of what you get in the retail box.

taper001.jpg

Pamphlet, Blade 1, 2, 3 & 4. Small cleaning brush. Clipper oil. Comb.

taper002.jpg

The trimmer itself, with the on\off switch on the left (lower), along with the taper adjust lever. On the right, the quirky, but functional, sealed round plug.

The lead is 3 meters in lenght. (9.84 feet)

taper005.jpg

The Wahl branded top of the plug.

taper003.jpg

taper004.jpg

Angled side views of the trimmer.

The trimmer isn't loud, but there is a low rumble\vibration that the user will notice when holding it, a very deep rumble, not a snappy or shrill sensation at all.

The only reservation, I find the 'blade 2' trimmer a bit long at 6mm, 1mm less than that and I'd be happy, I find the 'blade 1' too short, ah well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I use the Philips QC5170 (Link) myself, and have it a couple of years now, and it does a fantastic job.

I've had this for the past 4 or 5 years and found it great. I use the blade 0 about three times every two weeks so it has a lot of mileage. It is playing up a bit now though so am on the lookout for a new one aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shiny bold head

start recede in twentys my hair was too thin on top falling out buzz head bald clippers nicky clarke mains grade1 and now grade 0 no guard wasnt enough hair all grow on tp was stubble couldnt use a style anymore flat top too bald buzz shorter then use same razor mach 3 gillette shave stubble off face and bald head smooth close shave no going back bald 34 no hair ;) cordless shave only use last less 60 mins philips remington wahl 35 40 pounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Please do not bump up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement