Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collecting Breweriana - especially Guinness!

Options
  • 07-02-2010 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

For collectors of Breweriana, and Guinntiques in particular, I post this classic advert from the 1970s which I blame for my love for the black stuff and collecting Guinness ephemera. Was it the best Guinness Ad ever - they don't make them like this any more!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just came across this excellent book published by Hamlyn last year. Packed with illustrations of Guinness collectables from stamps to posters it is a must have for any serious Guinness enthusiast. An exciting section of recipies using Guinness is also included. The only thing missing is a section on Guinness pocket watches and I will come back to this later. Available on eBay and I'm sure Easons and other big bookshops.

9780600620372.jpg

Might as well include this here too - web address of the Guinness Collectors' Club: http://www.guinntiques.com/

Another classic TV ad this time for Carlsberg using footage from the classic movie "Ice Cold in Alex"....not really suitable for this chilly time of year but..needless to say I had to have a set of Carlsberg glasses. :D

Another classic Ad. this time for McEwans Lager - not much of a lager but very collectable ads. The Inverbraw Grouse Beaters - one of a series that I remember from my childhood.

guinnessforboards2.jpg

'Country Life' and 'The Illustrated London News' from the 1940s/50s are great for high quality, full page Guinness Ads and I have a number of these framed at home.
    I see quite a number of people have viewed today so let's have some comments - good, bad or indifferent! :)

5ed3_12.JPG

The elusive Guinness pocket watch. This one, not in working order, is currently on offer on eBay for £345.00 which is about average for these wonderful items. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-GUINESS-NODDING-TOUCAN-POCKET-WATCH_W0QQitemZ360231288978QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Breweriana_SM?hash=item53df754092
    Apparently they were issued in the 1950s to publicans on the UK Mainland who reached a certain level of sales but were never given out in Ireland. In working order the Toucan bobs up and down - I've had one on my wish list for a while now and will take the plunge soon. Beware as fakes abound. There were only two types of official Guinness pocket watch produced the other, which I will put up when a picture comes to hand, featured a pint with a smiling face in the head but no Toucan.

• Advertisement

!Bj4RSyg!Wk~$(KGrHqMOKkUEsndkkJfDBLVN-UrZvQ~~_12.JPG

This one also for sale on eBay - has been listed on and off for some months now - and is not from the same stable as the first one - avoid! :D

Given the vast number of superb Guinness TV advertisements down the years it's a wonder that no DVD has ever been produced - unless anybody else knows better? With Diageo motivated solely by profit they are surely missing out on a big sales opportunity as many people - not just Guinness collectors - would buy such a DVD for nostalgic reasons. An advertisement like this Penguin one will always be one of my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gonkerc

Hello all. just wondering if anyone has any steins,beer jugs or glasses with handles for swap or sale. have a small pub and have a collection of about 50 different glasses.

any help much me much appreciated :D

cheers gonkerc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

i've got an ashtray it's about 90 years old, how would you go about valuing it..

You could check it against listings on eBay - there are more than 30 Guinness ashtrays listed tonight. Condition is all important. Alternatively you you check in your local library for the book shown below. :) Sorry assumed it is a Guinness ashtray.

?SWBMTkwNTQ4MzU0Ng==

• Advertisement

There are thousands of different Guinness beer mats to collect but the most recent issue featuring iconic Irish pubs is sure to be highly sought after in coming years. I don't get up to Dublin much these days but made sure to call to Kehoe's in South Anne Street on my last visit and secured a couple featuring that wonderful establishment. I noticed tonight that a Dublin based eBay seller is selling a complete (?) set of 27 mats for £13.00 with one bid - a good way to subsidise your drinking but as each pub only seems to have their own mat a lengthy pub crawl would be involved. :D

Another set are for sale on eBay here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUINNESS-LIMITED-EDITION-DUBLIN-MATS-ALL-27_W0QQitemZ220560948315QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Breweriana_SM?hash=item335a74fc5b

beermat003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi JD,

nice thread on Guinness. Love it.

One thing though on the last entry (beer mats). I see in the lower right corner of the image Ebay's copyright protection sign (the camera) which means that the copyright to the pictures is protected and belongs to the owner of that particular ad on ebay. Unfortunately, this has to be removed. There are two ways around it. Just post a link to the ad in question or, even better, take some pics of your own beer mats. Thereby, you (and boards.ie) won't contravene the copyright laws.

;)

This is just a small note for anyone who posts pictures on a forum. Please make sure that you are the copyright holder and/or have permission to post pictures.

Thanks,
    P.

Missed a genuine Guinness Toucan pocket watch on eBay last night - I was doing the damn washing up and got distracted - and it went for a piffling £95.00!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310201552293&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This relatively recent advertisement is another firm favourite of mine as it includes two of the best things in life - Guinness and Rugby Union. Searching for all these old ads has made be more determined than ever to chase up Guinness/Diageo to see if they can be encouraged to produce a DVD of the best ones. I will post news here if I have any luck. :)

Sorry about my image for the Kehoe's beermat being deleted - self inflicted I think.
    Anyway back to the Guinness TV Ads - today I came across this listing on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dvhs&field-keywords=40+years+of+Guinness+advertising+in+the+UK+-+1955+-1994&x=14&y=21

"40 Years of Guinness Advertising in the UK 1955-1994" - as luck would have it it's out of stock but at least it's a clue to what may be obtainable. :)

Veering away from Guinness for a while, I have always had a love for certain pub figures and the three featured below are amongst my favourites. The rubberoid Bulmers Woodpecker and the Black & White Dogs originally graced Lonergan's Bar in Cahir, County Tipperary and were a gift from the owners, while the plastic White Horse figure was purchased in Tom's Curios in Dublins' Francis Street. Tom's Curios still sells breweriana, amongst much more besides, but in truth eBay is a far cheaper option than any Irish dealer.

8j738331.jpg

353592330_tp.jpg

This watch sold on eBay tonight for £216.86 but can sometimes fetch up to £400.00 so somebody had a bargain.
    Apart from the Toucan watch referred to in post #6 this is the only other official Guinness pocket watch - watch out for the many cheap variations on offer.

Ginger beer is one of my favourite non-alcoholic drinks (I blame the Enid Blyton's Famous Five books !) and I collect old and new bottles and cans associated with it. Stoneware ginger beer bottles are my favourites and three of my collection are pictured here together with a nice Beamish bottle.
    As far back as the 1830's ginger beer was stored in stoneware bottles, hand thrown by potters to meet the individual demands of their customers. Most bore little more than the bottlers name, perhaps a town and sometimes a date. However, from the 1880's, with growing industrialisation, the modern grey glaze bottles with stamped logos began to appear. These bottles were still hand thrown but made to much more precise standards and came with all sorts of weird and wonderful designs. These included steam locomotives, ships, bears, thistles - basically anything to make them stand out from the rest when displayed.
    Stoneware bottles faded in popularity in the 1920's, as the public became more health conscious and questioned the sediment at the bottom of the bottles which in turn led to a demand for ginger beer to be sold in glassware. The advances in refrigeration techniques meant that the advantages of stoneware for keeping products cool also became redundant.
    Irish stoneware bottles are much sought after today and can be expensive - regardless of condition - and the proliferation of overseas Irish theme pubs can be blamed for this. Car boot sales, general auctions and eBay are the best sources but be prepared to pay at least €25/30 for even the simplest bottle.

gingerbeer004.jpg

Back to Guinness today, and last week I went mad on eBay and splashed out on another Country Life 1950s advertisement - it cost all of €6.88 including p+p. It's one of the harder ones to find and features birds - another of my hobbies. Sorry about the poor pic but the natural light is bad today and I find the flash poor for detail. :)
    guinnessads001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi JD,great collections.Can you tell me do you know anything about the Beamish Bandon bottle pictured previously,I know that relations of the Beamish brewery were from Bandon but do you know if it was ever made there?

• Advertisement

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Hi JD,great collections.Can you tell me do you know anything about the Beamish Bandon bottle pictured previously,I know that relations of the Beamish brewery were from Bandon but do you know if it was ever made there?

I'm afraid I have no info on the Beamish bottle except that I purchased it on the Isle of Man about 10 years ago. Irish bottles are so hard to come by that I pick up any that I come across even when not ginger beers. The Kanturk bottle came from the same source.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Ginger beer is one of my favourite non-alcoholic drinks (I blame the Enid Blyton's Famous Five books !) and I collect old and new bottles and cans associated with it. Stoneware ginger beer bottles are my favourites and three of my collection are pictured here together with a nice Beamish bottle.
    As far back as the 1830's ginger beer was stored in stoneware bottles, hand thrown by potters to meet the individual demands of their customers. Most bore little more than the bottlers name, perhaps a town and sometimes a date. However, from the 1880's, with growing industrialisation, the modern grey glaze bottles with stamped logos began to appear. These bottles were still hand thrown but made to much more precise standards and came with all sorts of weird and wonderful designs. These included steam locomotives, ships, bears, thistles - basically anything to make them stand out from the rest when displayed.
    Stoneware bottles faded in popularity in the 1920's, as the public became more health conscious and questioned the sediment at the bottom of the bottles which in turn led to a demand for ginger beer to be sold in glassware. The advances in refrigeration techniques meant that the advantages of stoneware for keeping products cool also became redundant.
    Irish stoneware bottles are much sought after today and can be expensive - regardless of condition - and the proliferation of overseas Irish theme pubs can be blamed for this. Car boot sales, general auctions and eBay are the best sources but be prepared to pay at least €25/30 for even the simplest bottle.

gingerbeer004.jpg

anyone know anything about this it is i think 2 gallon size in perfect condition no chips

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I'm afraid I have no info on the Beamish bottle except that I purchased it on the Isle of Man about 10 years ago. Irish bottles are so hard to come by that I pick up any that I come across even when not ginger beers. The Kanturk bottle came from the same source.
    Thanks JD,its nice to see that there's examples of these bottles around,I must have a dig around and see if I can find any info on them.

Small family operated breweries once dotted the Irish landscape but during the last century most of these were taken out by the big players such as Arthur Guinness & Co., and those that survived moved into other areas of the drinks industry. One survivor, although no longer involved in brewing, is G.H.Lett & Company of Enniscorthy in County Wexford which continues as a drinks distributor. Lett's is different from many of the other small breweries in that several of its products are still produced in other countries. Coors in the US and Pelforth in France produce an excellent Irish red beer marketed as George Killian Lett's Irish Red - see bottles pictured below - and Bill Lett the brewery's current owner is the public image used to portray George Killian Lett for US audiences. Coors take the whole Irish thing very seriously and regularly fly Bill Lett to the US for promotional purposes; and have made a number of TV ads in Enniscorthy - see YouTube video below. Both the Lett beer bottles still have their contents intact as I didn't wish to damage the caps - now I'm afraid to!
    The Lett website http://www.ghlett.com/ has a nice selection of very early Lett drinks labels.

I have a nice Lett's Soda siphon recovered from the River Slaney - I will post later -and it still has river water in it. Does anybody know how to remove the top of a soda siphon without damaging it?

redbeer001.jpg

The aforementioned soda siphon. It is in much better condition than my photo would indicate but the presence of river water and a sealed top means that I can't clean the inside.
    redbeer006.jpg

George Killian's Irish Red is so big in the US that there is a vast array of breweriana associated with the brand - all the usual such as beer mats, bar towels, taps, clocks - you name it. However, for something really unusual how about this - a branded HO model railway tanker - it ticks all the boxes for me. :D
    6b1e35.jpg

Just posted this rare Guinness Export tin from the 1950s (?) for sale on adverts.ie here: http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=222804#thumb

8cbaed518a2b0a92f081df90dd1bc40a40d68bea41cc730bb668d3eb0ad43fed.jpg

It's a long time since I posted anything on this thread but expect some interesting items shortly. Today's post is of a six pack of George Killian's Biere Rousse kindly brought back from a holiday in France by a friend. It's brewed by Pelforth in France to Lett's (Enniscorthy) original recipe but not available in Ireland. It's over 30 years since I sampled this 'Nectar of the Gods' but I'm cracking this six-pack open - very carefully - tomorrow evening to celebrate the All Blacks win over Tonga in the RWC. Following the draining of all six bottles, they will be carefully washed and, along with the carton, will join my breweriana collection.

Lett%2BBiere%2BRousse%2B001.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jimmyxymmij

beer.jpg

beer1.jpg

Have you seen this Galleon? I think it's Rare.

beer.jpg

beer1.jpg

Have you seen this Galleon? I think it's Rare.

Never have but you could do worse than try the Guinness Collectors Club http://www.guinntiques.com/ and ask if anybody knows about it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Some fantastic stuff shown here,i have a few limerick related items inc half a dozen clunes tobacco small painted tin signs that i bought when the factory closed around 20 years ago.I am unable to post pics but someone is going to show me how its done soon and then i will post them.

Advertisement