Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming 10km's in Clare/Limerick region

Options
  • 04-05-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

With the marathon over :(, and a recent 10km pb set, Im looking to find me some new challenges and new events to work towards.

I include Limerick in the title of this thread, as I would like to do some events around here but really there is squat diddly squat happening in the next while. I know there are some IMRA events happening, but Im not going to start in to them just yet, so they stay off the list. So, feel free to add to the list if ye know of anything coming up in clare or limerick. Im attaching the info in an excel spread sheet, as I've it already set up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Hi Marie,

There is a 10k in Newport on the 23rd May 2pm not sure about the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Hi Marie

The inaugural Newport 10k takes place in Newport, Co. Tipp on Sunday 23rd May at 2pm.

Registration on the day from 12-1.30pm at the Newport Community Centre

Course: The run is a loop past the Clare Glens on a 'rolling course' and back in to the Town via the Murroe road.

nyinteriors@live.ie

I know that this is an AAI certified race and Jones counter verified (so no confusion - unlike the weekend). Not 100% sure of the price but the figure of € 15 is flashing in my mind. The proceeds of the race go to the local community centre. There are sign posts by the roundabouts around town with further details and contact numbers.

It will be a great run through some lovely scenery with some 'nice' hills. Newport is only 20 mins from town (less than 10 mins from Finnegans roundabout) so hopefully there will be a good turnout and now that Munster won't be in the Heineken final, runners can run without fear of hangovers.

Spread the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Tulla:

Date: Saturday 12th June
    Time: 6pm

http://www.runireland.com/events/2010-06-12/tulla-10k

East Clare 10k

Date: Saturday, 18 September
    Time: 11am

http://www.runireland.com/events/2010-09-18/east-clare-10k

Dont know much about them, just saw them on runireland and said id add to list.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lim abroad

Good idea for a thread, I ran my first road race last weekend doing the half in limerick so i'm hoping to participate in as many events as possible over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Bilboa 10k, Co. Limerick. Friday, 19 June 2009 - 8:00pm A good race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nyel

Hi Marie

the Newport 10k is on 23rd May at 2pm. entry fee is €15.00 for runners and the walkers 6k family event is €10.00. It will be signposted for every kilometer with water stations at 4k and 7-8 k. There are a few hills and a few fast downhill sections with the first part of the race a bit harder than the second part which is relatively flat, tea and sambo's after with prizes for 1st 2nd 3rd male & females runners home. runners will get an offical time at the end of the race.

on the 6th June in Kilkee there is a 10k out along the cliff walk which is a challenging course - its the 10k run leg of the Famous Hell of the West triathlon. Its a slow 5k out as its hilly with a faster 5k home. Its in aid of breast cancer and should be a really great day out. You probably wont set a new pb but its a great course very scenic.

Hope to see you in Newport and Kilkee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

hi does anyone have a road map of the newport route?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nyel

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Thanks for the input folks,

see below for updated list of 10km's. From the 23rd of May there are 6 straight weeks of 10km races, with 2 on one weekend! Great sign of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Kilfinanne 4 mile (men)/2 mile (women) on Sunday week, 16th May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

why is it only 2miles for women??

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

It's the Limerick County Road Race Championships (but open to all, not just club runners) so think the format has always been 4/2.

That being said, the Runireland.com site http://www.runireland.com/events/2010-05-16/kilfinane-4-miler just refers to it as 4 miler so maybe it's changed this year...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

RedB wrote: »
    Bilboa 10k, Co. Limerick. Friday, 19 June 2009 - 8:00pm A good race.

this is a really nice race in a nice part of county Limerick. Will be doing it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

MarieC wrote: »
    I include Limerick in the title of this thread, as I would like to do some events around here but really there is squat diddly squat happening in the next while. I know there are some IMRA events happening, but Im not going to start in to them just yet, so they stay off the list. So, feel free to add to the list if ye know of anything coming up in clare or limerick. Im attaching the info in an excel spread sheet, as I've it already set up.
    Hi Marie

A group of us maintain a complete list of races in the Munster region at this website.....http://sites.google.com/site/runninginireland/calendar/munster

You might find it useful for your list :)

Just pick out the relevant county colours.

This is the 2nd race in the new Ballyhoura Active Summer Series and is being held in conjunction with the Limerick AAI road championships.

Men will run the 4 mile course.

Women will run in a seperate 2 mile race and start at the 2 mile mark

anybody doing the 10k in Bilboa this evening?

What can i expect!? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Will be doing Bilboa for the 3rd year in a row this evening - it's probably my favourite race on the calendar....well organised, good value for money and a challenging course with a fantastic last mile downhill.

great tea and cake too afterwards in the clubhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭jfh

also hope to do this myself, hear it's a tough enough course. looking forward to it. best of luck

There's a couple of mini climbs in the middle third on the race which can sap the energy a little bit but as rural 10k courses go it's not too bad.

As you come to the top of the hill around the 5 mile mark and turn right, you can really put the hammer down til the finish as it's downhill all the way

What time should I be there by? Is it just a matter of arriving and signing in?

• Advertisement

I think the walkers start at 7:30 so I would aim to be there before that....they had big enough numbers last year so would recommend getting there as early as you can.

There's a track/pitch inside to warm up on as well

pretty happy i did that. As 10k's go it is right up there. There's a long steady uphill stretch in the middle that is a bit of a killer, but some great downhill sections too.

The results of the Bilboa 10k are HERE if anyone wants them

Advertisement