Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new bike what do you guys think

Options
  • 22-03-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Finally narrowed my search down to 3.First is cervelo rs,its a cervelo so its quality.

2.Its a argon 18 gallium its got great reviews as well.

3.Its a look 566 comfortable and a little upright like the cervelo rs,and its a little cheaper.:o

What do you guys think,I want a bike manly for long distance riding with a few friends and some solo work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It really depends on the paint job, but if it is this one, the Look.

117339.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭horizon26

blorg wrote: »
    It really depends on the paint job, but if it is this one, the Look.

117339.jpg
    Thats a fantastic looking bike,but I would go for the cervelo.Great reviews no one has a bad word to say about them as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They're all obviously good enough.

I personally would avoid the Cervelo because I'm too slow for it. I've seen slow (i.e. upright or fat) people on Cervelos and they look ridiculous.

I want an Argon because it's Canadian and therefore both slightly weird and slightly attractive, like Alanis Morrisette. It would also match the nationality of my preferred SRAM groupset. Unfortunately I suspect that at some point I would find myself overwhelmed and repelled by it's quirkiness, as I was with Alanis Morissette, and feel the need to start changing it to make it more normal, perhaps replacing the shiny headset spacer and masking out the molecule decals on the tubing.

The Look looks very nice and has no obvious deficiencies. It doesn't shout "more money than spinal flexibility" like the Cervelo, and would likely age well, like Carla Bruni.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Cervelo = Quality ..Not necessarily so, the RS is probably the worst quality frame in the stable and looks cheap, dont get me wrong, its superbly comfortable, but not worth the asking price, also crap power transfer IMHO, used to be top of my list ... until I tried one. Great marketing though !!

Argon 18 Gallium, I just got a Gallium Pro, stiff as hell, incredible power transfer ... and will beat the living sh!t out of you on a long spin on our roads ... its an out and out race bike and I really dont reckon the non 'Pro' version is gonna be a whole pile more forgiving. Certainly light years ahead of the Cervelo RS in terms of quality though.

Look 566, Look are phenomenal, beautifully made and the best finish/quality of your shortlist by miles. I reckon this would be the best of your 3 choices for your intended usage, see if you can find a 2007-2009 Look 585 Optimum, similar geometry but a lil' bit stiffer BB.

Bianchi Infinito is also worth looking at, beautiful looking, and definitely ticks all your needs.

templer27 wrote: »
    Finally narrowed my search down to 3.First is cervelo rs,its a cervelo so its quality.

2.Its a argon 18 gallium its got great reviews as well.

3.Its a look 566 comfortable and a little upright like the cervelo rs,and its a little cheaper.:o

What do you guys think,I want a bike manly for long distance riding with a few friends and some solo work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Lumen wrote: »
    The Look looks very nice and has no obvious deficiencies. It doesn't shout "more money than spinal flexibility" like the Cervelo, and would likely age well, like Carla Bruni.

Hmmmm Lumen, if the look ages like Carla Bruni, think I would go for the Cervelo, lighter and rides great.....

article-1258233-08B7267C000005DC-11_468x548.jpg

• Advertisement

Cervelo have probably the biggest Fanboy following of all the manufacturers, they remind me of Apple users ( I should know, I'm a Mac fanatic :) )

Quigs, the RS is a MILLION miles away from the R3,S2,S1, its just not up to the competition anymore, needs a serious revamp.

horizon26 wrote: »
    Thats a fantastic looking bike,but I would go for the cervelo.Great reviews no one has a bad word to say about them as far as I know.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Hmmmm Lumen, if the look ages like Carla Bruni, think I would go for the Cervelo, lighter and rides great.....

Undo! Undo! I meant Melissa Theuriau, obviously. Damn, another dream popped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Cervelo RS, $2500
    Look 566, $2000

I'd probably go for the Look, but not that one, this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭templer27

Murph100 wrote: »
    Cervelo = Quality ..Not necessarily so, the RS is probably the worst quality frame in the stable and looks cheap, dont get me wrong, its superbly comfortable, but not worth the asking price, also crap power transfer IMHO, used to be top of my list ... until I tried one. Great marketing though !!

Argon 18 Gallium, I just got a Gallium Pro, stiff as hell, incredible power transfer ... and will beat the living sh!t out of you on a long spin on our roads ... its an out and out race bike and I really dont reckon the non 'Pro' version is gonna be a whole pile more forgiving. Certainly light years ahead of the Cervelo RS in terms of quality though.

Look 566, Look are phenomenal, beautifully made and the best finish/quality of your shortlist by miles. I reckon this would be the best of your 3 choices for your intended usage, see if you can find a 2007-2009 Look 585 Optimum, similar geometry but a lil' bit stiffer BB.

Bianchi Infinito is also worth looking at, beautiful looking, and definitely ticks all your needs.
    Murph100 very very interesting reply.As you have a argon 18 gallium pro,you know what your talking about.I was surprised that the bike is not comfortable though.

Your view of the cervelo rs is a shock to me,a real shock.The cervelo is now third on my list.

The look seems like the best bike for me and it looks cool as well.It was in all fairness my number 2,now my number 1.

I really like the look of the argon 18,I have had a focus cayo and I thought it was quite comfortable.Well most of the time I would hope the gallium would be at least more comfortable and have better power transfer?If it was more comfortable I would maybe think its my number 1 choice.But murph100 has given me an honest review of the argon and food for thought.

This is not an easy thing to decide,my friends are competive and I want to be sure the look would be fast,as well as comfortable but I love to cycle long distances on my own as well.Thanks for your views murph100,very helpful

I have had a focus cayo and I thought it was quite comfortable.Well most of the time I would hope the gallium would be at least more comfortable and have better power transfer?

The Cayo has been described as having a harsh ride in some reviews. I had one for a while and never found it harsh at all, but then it was my first carbon bike. My current Addict is significantly stiffer than the Cayo, harsher I guess, but reviews tend to describe it as very smooth. Can't say the ride bothers me any more.

Maybe ride quality is just something you adjust to, or maybe all bike reviews are bull****.

If you're that bothered by ride quality just fit 25mm tyres.

• Advertisement

Templer,

Just bear in mind I've the Gallium Pro, so perhaps the 'regular' Gallium might be a little more compliant, and I'm also talking about crap Kerry roads.

The Viner Magister I just sold was a lot more comfortable than the Gallium Pro but still had waaaay better power transfer than the Cervelo RS, maybe I should have kept the bloody thing :(

However the power transfer of the Gallium Pro is bloody addictive, its unreal, just hope I can HTFU to last 160+KMs on the fecking thing :)

The Bianchi Infinto is definitely worth a try, I've seen one in the flesh and its amazing looking.

Scott CR1 is another amazing frame for the money that fits your needs.

Murph100 wrote: »
    Templer,

Just bear in mind I've the Gallium Pro, so perhaps the 'regular' Gallium might be a little more compliant, and I'm also talking about crap Kerry roads.

The Viner Magister I just sold was a lot more comfortable than the Gallium Pro but still had waaaay better power transfer than the Cervelo RS, maybe I should have kept the bloody thing :(

However the power transfer of the Gallium Pro is bloody addictive, its unreal, just hope I can HTFU to last 160+KMs on the fecking thing :)

The Bianchi Infinto is definitely worth a try, I've seen one in the flesh and its amazing looking.

Scott CR1 is another amazing frame for the money that fits your needs.
    Bianchi bikes are fab looking I really like the look of them.My new cycling buddies are nice guys,one of them is an old school friend.In school we were very competitive,used to race against each other.I know when we go cycling its going to be a race,and I want to win!!!

Its a bit childish and a bit of fun,but feck it I want to be faster.However Its not my only purpose for my new bike.The argon sounds great now,but perhaps its not the bike I need.Then again it might well be,got to give this some real thought. Thanks Murph:)

The Cayo has been described as having a harsh ride in some reviews. I had one for a while and never found it harsh at all, but then it was my first carbon bike. My current Addict is significantly stiffer than the Cayo, harsher I guess, but reviews tend to describe it as very smooth. Can't say the ride bothers me any more.

Maybe ride quality is just something you adjust to, or maybe all bike reviews are bull****.

Thanks Lumen some serious thinking must go into my next purchase.Must log off for now,I will let you guys know what I will get if any off you are interested.

Its a bit childish and a bit of fun,but feck it I want to be faster.
    That bit really comes from the engine rather than the frame. Especially if you are looking at relaxed geometry bikes... the main way you will go faster with changes to the bike rather than training is to get more aero (e.g. lower, full-on race geometry.)

Do you think you are inflexible? May be worth considering a bike with racier geometry, you can always just use spacers/flipped stem until you become more flexible. I certainly have lowered my drop over the last three years although it was a gradual process. But if you think the flexibility isn't going to change than relaxed geometry will look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

The Look 566 looks fantastic.....except for that bend in the top tube. I dunno if I could get over that if I bought the bike.

look-566-BlR-1000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

funny that, cant comment on the cervelo ride quality (dont have one) but i find my cayo much more comfortable than my old steel winter trainer and not as twitchy (but precise)

dont know why but the reviews have decided focus frames are now harsh

i concur reviews just seem to be bullspit

The Look 566 looks fantastic.....except for that bend in the top tube. I dunno if I could get over that if I bought the bike.

look-566-BlR-1000.jpg
    That bike is gorgeous. I am completely over the bend in the top tube. @OP- I think you know what you need to do.

Advertisement