Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from Gumtree or adverts

Options
  • 06-03-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

I've been scanning through gumtree and adverts for used dslrs, at the lower end. It'll be my first dslr [currently using a bridge cam] so I'm not after anything that fancy, just a good deal. Thinking 10mp at least dslrs, with a lens, any extras a bonus. My budget is €300/maybe a little more

How many of you have bought from either site? How many dodgy people would you reckon post adverts up on them? [As I've come across a few ads that seemed a bit suspect]

I wont purchase unless it's a meet and view before exchange sale. So I don't have to worry about transferring funds. I've already pulled out of one, a canon 400d, because the guy claimed to be in Dublin but when I e-mailed he responded saying he was actually in London and would cover shipping ... if you lie in the first place, I aint sending no money thanks.

Thing is, I've responded to a few ads and got no response. There's others I'm eying that seem too good to be true.

This is new to me, so what should I look out for? [apart from the terrible spelling in some of the adverts]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

can't speak for gumtree but head over to boards sister site adverts.ie

a dedicated photography section. usually possible for meet before you pass with your funds. a lot of people around these parts use it. have a read of the rules first to make sure you don't fall foul of any.

I've had no issues with adverts, though I've only purchased about three things on it.

A replica WWE Hardcore belt, which was posted to me, a 40-150mm lens for my Olympus which was also posted, and a Canon 20D with lens and a few memory cards which I got in person.

Gumtree seems packed with much more spam in my opinion. Definitely there are some genuine people on Gumtree, but I'd favour adverts over it.

On adverts, always check feedback and post count (My theory is that people with higher post count are less likely to screw you as they'll use boards a lot and won't want to make a cnut of themselves on here in front of everyone).

eBay is always a good option too. Haven't heard any horror stories from buying photography equipment on there (though that doesn't mean they don't exist).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Cheers. The problem I have with adverts is the prices seem higher [though that may well be because gumtree's lower prices are from suspect sellers? ]

Also, everything I do spot that I fancy ... is already sold. Why don't they clear those items off the board?

This wouldn't be an impulse buy, I've been after a dslr for many months now, I've just not had the funds [with Christmas an' all, plus I'm out of work due to an injury]

I sold my xbox 360 on gumtree only today [posted the ad up only yesterday!] , hence the step up in my searches, bit of cash coming in for that.

Thing is, I've seen some dslrs on there that seemed very, very cheap. Too good to be true more than likely.

When you bought from abroad, what payment method did you use? Were you ever worried you'd not get the goods after sending?

I'd much prefer a person to person sale.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I've never used Gumtree but have both bought and sold on Adverts. So far everyone I've dealt with have been 100% so would have no hesitation in recommending the site. But like all things in life - be careful.

Gonna keep scanning through it, see if my miracle come pops up :D

As I said, been waiting a while to go for a dslr, I might be a bit impatient atm [because I know I could easily blow the money if i don't get one soon ... online poker is a terrible habit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I've always gotten the impression that the prices on adverts are wildly inflated because there seems to be some expectation that the sellers should haggle, and eventually sell at about a quarter less than the listed price. I'd say a lot of sellers bump up their initial asking price to take this into account. That said, there are some people with completely unrealistic expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've found Adverts.ie to be better value than ebay,tbh...once you haggle a little bit. :)

Cheers. The problem I have with adverts is the prices seem higher [though that may well be because gumtree's lower prices are from suspect sellers? ]

Also, everything I do spot that I fancy ... is already sold. Why don't they clear those items off the board?

This wouldn't be an impulse buy, I've been after a dslr for many months now, I've just not had the funds [with Christmas an' all, plus I'm out of work due to an injury]

I sold my xbox 360 on gumtree only today [posted the ad up only yesterday!] , hence the step up in my searches, bit of cash coming in for that.

Thing is, I've seen some dslrs on there that seemed very, very cheap. Too good to be true more than likely.

When you bought from abroad, what payment method did you use? Were you ever worried you'd not get the goods after sending?

I'd much prefer a person to person sale.

If you're going to be buying online, then Paypal is the only method I would use (unless you're buying from a reputable and trusted website of course, and even then i always check for Paypal as a method of payment).

This doesn't seem too badly priced;

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250588238140

But I've no experience with any SONY DSLRs so can't really say anything about them.

Speaking from a personal standpoint; I'd say stick to Nikon or Canon if you're on a budget. Initially the camera may cost more, but the secondhand market for lenses and other accessories seems to be much larger than it is for Olympus, SONY, etc.

If you could stretch your €300 to a small bit more, you could get a Canon 10D

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Canon-EOS-10D-Digital-Camera_W0QQitemZ260562822947QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN?hash=item3caac12723

And 18-55mm lens;

http://cgi.ebay.ie/BRAND-NEW-CANON-EF-S-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-IS-LENS-UKSeller_W0QQitemZ150420921330QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item2305c91bf2

I recommend always looking for a review of the camera before buying it though. DPReview.com are good for this.

Just keep the head down and try to find a deal. Always haggle on Adverts (it's expected at this stage) and hope for the best. I'd use adverts before I'd use gumtree, but they're all the same really.

Cheers for all that. I have a paypal acc, but I have never once used it - I'm impatient like that, I'd rather travel to buy something than wait weeks for delivery! I know, it costs more.

The idea of meeting the seller and getting to view the item for sale is what I like about these selling sites. You get a hands on, and there's always that judgmental part of you that will scan the seller for signs of needle marks etc ... [/joke]

I posted my advert only yesterday for my 360, and today I get a call from an 11 year old boy ... steady on, I made sure he had his parent's permission to make an offer and that they would accompany him for the pick up. Seems like a done deal, overnight! [it was on GT]

I wish my cam-hunt would go so smoothly, and can only hope the seller I find is as honest as I like to think I am.

I think you're right about the prices, I know I put my Xbox up for a little more than I expected, and in the end it was I who offered to sell it at a reduced price so long as it was a pick up :cool:

It's just some sellers out there seem to think 3 year old outdated equipment [which cannot be in 'immaculate/perfect/likenew!!!!' condition no matter how well cared for] is worthy of up to 80% brand new prices. Some of them might be hanging on a little too much to what they might have paid way back when?

I'll have a good long scout tomorrow and maybe do some haggling, my mother was brilliant at that [seen her get €500 off a suite of furniture because there was "musty dirt marks on it" .... there wasn't, turned out to be cigarette ash she'd put there, lol]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I would favour Adverts over Gumtree, not because it's associated with Boards but because it is much more moderated. This means that the Spam & rubbish are removed & so what you see is generally genuine. Gumtree does not require registration & so is more open to abuse & fake ads. I am sure it works fine too but you have to be more careful.
    I've always gotten the impression that the prices on adverts are wildly inflated because there seems to be some expectation that the sellers should haggle, and eventually sell at about a quarter less than the listed price. I'd say a lot of sellers bump up their initial asking price to take this into account. That said, there are some people with completely unrealistic expectations.

AFAIK you are not allowed to sell an item on Adverts for more than the listed price, only cheaper. This is the opposite to eBay where you will see a minimum price & it goes up from there. People listing on Adverts will have a higher listed price & then you may have to negotiate that to a level agreeable to both sides. I have seen some items listed that are very close to the price available for a new purchase & the seller will not come down as they paid a lot more for the item when they bought it. Usually those items do not sell. The items which are listed at realistic prices will soon be snapped up.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've noticed some stubborn sellers on there. Unrealistic expectations, when they must surely realise anyone searching on there is after a bargain. Otherwise they'd simply buy new and get all the guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Yeah, I've noticed some stubborn sellers on there. Unrealistic expectations, when they must surely realise anyone searching on there is after a bargain. Otherwise they'd simply buy new and get all the guarantees.

the problem is that sellers often value their camera/lens close to what they paid for it - when in truth the actual value is a lot less - but a seller cant see it.

its all down to hoping for a realistic seller (unfortunately telling to seller that its X price on this site for new is against adverts rules - I've been a buyer and seller on adverts ...and would consider myself flexible with my sales price - most of the time.)

As an example:
    I had a Canon 85mm f1.8 mk2 up on adverts and removed it - its priced at over €2K in a Dublin shop, approx €1800 online and I was looking for €1400 I think - and people still offered less than asking.

Buyers seem to want to save money on online prices - even if the item was bought in an Irish shop.

Yes, but used is used. You should be willing to lose money on it, otherwise it's like expecting to take it back to the shop 2 years later and get a near full refund!

Every pic taken must reduce the price, also any wear and tear. Any photographer using a camera for a bi more than family snaps will have carted the equipment around the country, maybe even abroad. Who knows what dirt, dust, water damage could have been done?

I'm selling an xbox 360 with games, controllers, extra cables and headset. I paid over €500 total, but I don't expect to get anywhere near that amount, I have it up for 200 and have accepted 180. Why should cameras be any different? There seems to be this notion among photographers that their beloved used equip is worth so much more than it actually is.

I'll keep hunting though.

One guy, who has a Sony A200 up for almost the brand new price, refused to drop €40! and I was willing to travel to collect, which would cost me 30! [I don't drive, so it'd be by bus]

Another day and many more adverts responded to, emails sent, texts sent ... this used equip buying malarkey is becoming a pain in the hole already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

I'd say a lot of sellers bump up their initial asking price to take this into account.

This is very true. I know I do this as well.

Thing is, if I was to put up the price in the ad I would accept then everyone would bid 20% less so the only way I am going to get what I want/stuff is worth, is to advertise a price about 10-15% higher and await the bids.

Stupid I know but what can I do? If I put up a fair price then I won't get it due to some deranged logic that you have to bid lower. It's very very rare you see an offer for asking price on Adverts.

What to do when the seller will not budge though? And claim they've already factored in reductions?

Anyone know much about the Sony Alpha 200? Worth €300 with the kit lens, battery charger and carry case?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I've made 4 separate purchases on the photography section of adverts and all have went well; a little bit of online haggling, then deal done. Was usually able to meet up fairly soon with the other party. They always turned up on time & items were as described.
    The fact that you can examine the goods before paying the cash, and there's no postage costs makes it good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

What to do when the seller will not budge though? And claim they've already factored in reductions?

Anyone know much about the Sony Alpha 200? Worth €300 with the kit lens, battery charger and carry case?

i had one. not bad. have the a230 now as there was a fault with a200 ( seeminlgy never happens) a200 felt more of a solid camera. but does everything a basic dslr should

That's why I'm taking this route over used cam's from Amazon or wherever. I like the idea of meeting the owner, you can look into his soul!! .... erm, heh, not really :D

This sony A200 is on adverts, I've been in contact with the seller and he only lives about 15m from me! Not the most perfect deal, I could do with as many extras as poss, but my budget is low and he promises the cam is like new, rarely used.

its not a bad camera.

300 quid with basic kit might be steep seeing that there is already a newer model.

• Advertisement

the newer model [A230], from what i've read, is not as good. Which is odd I know. It seems it was more a side-step than an upgrade on the A200.

Anyone ever used snapsort? Which compares cameras side by side and gives a winner? It's probably not very reliable, but it suggests the A200 is better than a Nikon D80:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D80-vs-Sony_Alpha_DSLR-A200

And better than the newer model A230 -

http://snapsort.com/compare/Sony_Alpha_DSLR-A200-vs-Sony_Alpha_DSLR-A230

Seems to be simply because it's faster

Also claims it's better than a Pentax K10D

yeah the fps on the a200 was quicker than the new a230

but the battery life is way better on the a230 and its lighter too.
    its not really an ugrade as you said just a newer side step. the a380 would be an upgrade.

its just like getting a new car of the same model .

PCPhoto wrote: »
    telling to seller that its X price on this site for new is against adverts rules

Really? That's a bit crap. Why would such a rule exist?

Yeah that rule is tough, as a lot of sellers state "no way am I dropping price" or whatever. If that is the rule, basically, your haggling power is greatly reduced. you can't say "well, it's on ... wherever.com, for €100 less" - which is indeed silly. It's a natural part of the haggle to say you can get it elsewhere for cheaper.

surely if you are selling something second hand you really are goverend y the cheapest new online price. if you really wanted to sell something you must research what prices are out there. and its unfortunate if you cant et the price you wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

This...
    Martron wrote: »
    surely if you are selling something second hand you really are goverend y the cheapest new online price. if you really wanted to sell something you must research what prices are out there. and its unfortunate if you cant et the price you wanted

Adverts came about from boards members selling stuff to each other and the whole idea was that nobody should get ripped off on account of it being a community. Profiteering was and is, something we frown upon. If somebody puts an item up for sale on adverts and the price is clearly on the high side for that item, there are a couple of options available. Firstly, you can post a link to a more realistic price on the ad without worrying about threadspoiling. From what I can see in this forum, that shouldn't be a problem as you are all well enough versed in the worth of photography equipment. Secondly, if you don't want to get involved in a potential arguement on an ad you can report it and the photography for sale mods will take it from there.

Obviously, there will be occasions where the seller might have posted a price that is way too low for what he is selling and there are a few recurring issues with this scenario. Firstly, it is possible that the seller is a bit naive but they really should have done their research. Secondly, it has been known for people to post something at a lower prive in order to get a quick sale. In these instances, it comes down to a judgement call as to whether potential buyers are happy with the reasons for the low price.

One thing we have been very clear about on adverts over the years is "caveat emptor". Take all precautions you need before committing to a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Cheers. The problem I have with adverts is the prices seem higher

Thats because on adverts you are expected to haggle so the prices start off dearer and meet somewhere in the middle usually. I've bought three cameras off of adverts and never had a problem with any of them. People are usually genuine there and memebers of this community Gumtree is more like BuyandSell i.e. no community. I think you are safer buying here.

It is hard to haggle online without pointing the seller to cheaper options elsewhere.

I have been negotiating with one on adverts, seems like it's a done deal unless I meet and it's not in the condition he says it's in. I managed to knock a few euro down but not much.

Think you're right about GT, a lot of the sellers don't even respond, what the hell is the point in placing an ad then not responding to offers!?

others did though, but only to say the camera was already sold [so take the ad down maybe?]

At least on adverts you can see that it's already gone before you waste your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Adverts is quiet good - but more often than not the sellers are out of their mind... In the world of global sales expecting someone to pay more than price in well established online shop can't be qualified otherwise.

Nevertheless I have bought and sold on adverts many times - and the patience is the key to successful transaction. Folks in and around Dublin are of course in better position - as more than half of the market is located around the capital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Well, it IS coming up to Halloween I guess ...

Advertisement