Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doggie Rage

Options
  • 19-01-2010 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I know its been discussed before but had a good one tonight:

Running into the wind dying a death and a lady and her dog were up ahead. The dog was on a lead so i gave what i thought was a wide berth. As I pass the dog goes for me but the lead stops it just at my ankles.... before i have a chance to flip out the lady goes "you shouldn't be running in a public place"... i pause to digest it.... "are you for real" is my response. "Would you not f*ck off to the olympics"..... again i have to pause.
    I compose myself and we have a wonderful discussion where she compliments me on my ignorance and i compliment her on how lucky her boyfriend is among other things. I have now signed her as both my coach and agent and we are going to the olympics. Which is nice.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

you shouldn't be running in a public place
    Love that line. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

Not knowing this woman, but you can be pretty sure she's the type of dog owner who lets her dog poop all over the footpath. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

RunToFart wrote: »
    "Would you not f*ck off to the olympics".....

Classic line.. When I get a dog I'm going to use it... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Great stuff RunToFart!!

I was doing a run in St Annes once and had a run in with what I would regard as a decent sized dog. I was doing reps and he chased me on my 2nd last rep. On my last rep he chased me again and (what I thought at the time) nicked me on the calf with his owner running towards me and laughing and calling his name and waving his lead (I presume unaware that I believed he nicked me at the time). On believing he had nicked me I stopped and got him square in the jaw with a kick. She went bananas and starting shouting that I was a big hard man kicking a little puppy. He was a decent sized dog in my eyes and fair game based on the fact that I thought he nicked me. In the end he hadn't as my Ron Hill tights with stirrups had saved me.

Question is that when this happens and a dog attacks/harrasses/nicks you, is it ok to lash out and give him/her a kick? I felt good at the time and justified but later regretted it. Ever since I have always regretted it and now when I hear how RunToFart handled it believed that is the better way. Having said that it was some kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

Question is that when this happens and a dog attacks/harrasses/nicks you, is it ok to lash out and give him/her a kick? I felt good at the time and justified but later regretted it. Ever since I have always regretted it and now when I hear how RunToFart handled it believed that is the better way. Having said that it was some kick.

I think dogs are fantastic (we've always had at least one and more usually two down in the old ancestoral homeland), but even at that I would say that if the dog is being aggressive (As oppossed to playful) then yeah, a good kick that it'll remember and not want repeated. Dogs are intelligent, and well capable of learning (often unlike the owners). You might be saving the dog's life in the long term (If it attacked someone, such as a small child, it might have to be put down). Ultimately it is the owners fault for not training their dog correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Well my last resort would be to kick the dog. I'd kick the owner though. Not really the dogs fault if his owner is an ignorant oaf.The good thing is when you are a runner you can easily out run the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

The good thing is when you are a runner you can easily out run the owner.[/quote]

what if the owner is usain bolt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Tingle wrote: »

If a dog is attacking you then of course you're justified kicking it. That's just self preservation. I've done it plenty of times myself. What's the other option- let Mr Ruffles chew on your leg while his owner catches up?

After all, what is our greatest hero of all time most famous for? That right! DRIVING HIS SLIOTAR DOWN SOME OFF-THE-LEAD DOG'S THROAT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Tingle wrote: »
    Great stuff RunToFart!!

During the Summer I threw an aggressive Jack Russell into the royal canal. I had a history with both the dog and owner in the past. I have a dog myself by the way and would consider myself a dog lover.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

During the Summer I threw an aggressive Jack Russell into the royal canal.

Was the owner still attached???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Domer wrote: »
    Was the owner still attached???

:D no I couldn't budge her fat ar$e

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

I come across a lot of yappy dogs, in the rural roads where I run. My policy is to ignore them unless they come very close, looking like they're going to bite. Then I turn around and chase them with the aim of giving a good kick. Haven't succeeded yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

theduke1 wrote: »
    what if the owner is usain bolt?

Something like that happened at a Worlds or one of the big meets a few years ago. A couple of US sprinters were out for a walk and right in front of them a guy stole a women's handbag and did a legger. One of the sprinters was Maurice Greene. Needless to say the handbag thief was caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Theres two sets of bastards near me, the first set I thought running on the other side of the road was stopping them but that works only if a car is coming at the same time. One is a particularly nasty piece of work, the small one of course, even running back at him doesnt scare him, he is angling in from the side for the bite then.

The second set are fine as long as you walk past them but go nuts if you run, they are big dogs so running after them isnt an option. This annoys me as I dont feel the time counts if I get a 20 second walking break in the middle of it

I have complained a few times and my OH has got into a few blazing arguments with them, but the next day they are there again outside the houses waiting for us.

I like dogs in general but I have thought about driving down beforehand and leaving a stick just before the houses, its either that or ringing the dog warden, although I am loathe to do that, as then I think it will get very messy with them.

Its a real piss off as I am put off even running that route and it is just shy of 5 miles, the other local route is just over 4 so I have to run down the end of the road again and back to get it up to 5 miles but the dogs on that route are all friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

During the Summer I threw an aggressive Jack Russell into the royal canal. I had a history with both the dog and owner in the past. I have a dog myself by the way and would consider myself a dog lover.

Reminds me of the anchorman scene:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

One thing that really pisses me off is thoese extendable leads . people see you coming and still think its ok to take up the whole path .:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

plodder wrote: »
    I come across a lot of yappy dogs, in the rural roads where I run. My policy is to ignore them unless they come very close, looking like they're going to bite. Then I turn around and chase them with the aim of giving a good kick. Haven't succeeded yet.

I do exactly the same, and still treasure the one moment when I actually managed to connect with one particularly slow mutt. Of course I also hurt my shin in the process.

Normally I would not dream of kicking an animal (or its owner :p), but when they are aggressive and getting close enough to bite then a defensive move is more than justified.

I've been bitten twice - by the same dog no less. The gardai were complete uninterested when I reported it, though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If the creatures are a nusiance to the public then just that is surely enough reason to contact the dog warden type people? Nusiance being as "minor" as a constantly barking mutt or out of control and chasing people down the street in my book.

Have no love for any four legged creatures myself and think they should all be banned from being kept as pets, just to keep them well away from me. I've managed to avoid any incidents with them for a while now though thankfully.

I've heard that neither dog wardens nor the Gardai can get involved in normal doggy disputes. The reason is that it's a dispute between you and the dog owner, and what you're supposed to do apparently (if talking to the owner doesn't work) is go to the district court office and fill out a form there. It's up to the court to sort it out then.

What are the dog wardens for then if it's not to sort out dogs?

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    What are the dog wardens for then if it's not to sort out dogs?
    Good question. :) I heard the above on the Joe Duffy (or Derek Mooney?) show. There's some information about it here. I imagine that dog wardens would be able to tell you what you can do in most cases, if they can't act themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I find 'going on the offensive' really works. There's a little horror of a dog on one of my routes that hides and when I run past it, it always starts barking and chasing after me. The last time it started, I turned around and chased it - I've never seen it move so quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I had a (kinda) similar moment to this when I was cycling into work, part of the route takes you through a housing estate. I was just taking a corner (not very fast as I was wrecked at this stage) on which a van was parked which blocked the view around the corner. Just as I turned I seen a lady on the road to my left and the dog on the other side of the road attached by one of those variable length leads. I managed to stop before I hit the lead, the dog would have been in a bad state if I didn't see them. She seemed like she was going to give out to me for being on the road but she held her tongue and I held mine and drove on.

Good question. :) I heard the above on the Joe Duffy (or Derek Mooney?) show. There's some information about it here. I imagine that dog wardens would be able to tell you what you can do in most cases, if they can't act themselves.
    Rhodesian Ridgeback
    I thought that was a dragon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cphowlin

Was chased by a big dog while running down in limerick once. Was about 7 miles in to a 20 miler. only got away by dumping my water bottle in his face... which left me with a long way to go with pretty much no water...

These might help...
    http://www.amazon.com/Halt-Dog-Repellent-1-5-oz/dp/B000E4Q7BS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1263984972&sr=8-1-catcorr

http://www.pepper-spray-shop.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

cphowlin wrote: »

Yeah, sure. I'll run around with a can of pepper spray on all of my runs from now on, just to be armed for any dog encounters that happen about once a year!

Isn't pepper spray illegal anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cphowlin

Isn't pepper spray illegal anyway?

No idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

think I read elsewhere the ps is illegal.

What I have done in the past is either a) chase them / b) just move towards them barking loudly myself - really angrily ... All about dominance.
    Might have gotten a few odd looks - but what the hell - it works.

Most dogs I have met though have been grand - usually just look to run with me, the aggressive ones though - not the dogs fault - all about the training - hence the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KoreaBraz

Ahh, the age-old argument. Dog owners v everyone else. Now, don't get me wrong-I love dogs, I've always had some at home. But I don't agree with unmannerly dogs or owners. It's only common decency to keep your dog under control. I mean, you wouldn't let a child nip someone else's ankles, would you? Once I was out walking my dogs (who were on the lead) & another woman came towards me with her dog (off the lead). I had 3 dogs at the time so I thought it'd be better all round if I stopped walking & just let them pass. The woman passed me & as her dog followed he started barking at one of mine. My dog, naturally, responded by barking back (she's a fiesty terrier!). The other dog didn't like this response & started lunging at mine. So I proceeded to block his advances with my foot; now I must point out that I didn't & never had any intention of actually touching either dog-I was just using my foot as a barrier. The lady turned around & asked me not to kick her dog! My blood boiled-not only was her dog off the lead, he'd also started the fight. When I pointed this out to her, she muttered something at me, turned around & walked off. I felt like running after her & kicking her instead of her dog. So you see, it's owners you've to watch out for-dogs are a doddle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

It's the owners not the dogs to blame. I find the small dogs to be the worse as the owners generally appear not to have trained them or chastise them. With bigger dogs, you generally have no option but to train them.

But some runners/walkers have to look at their own behaviour.

I walk my dog regularly and the terrified reaction by some people actually encourage the dog to play with them, suddenly leaping a mile into the air at every movement of the dog. In the dog's head, that means, 'let's play.'

Approaching dogs, you should stand tall, ignore the dog, and you'll be fine for the most part. Nervously approaching them or taking a defensive approach is only going to provoke the dog or give the impression you want to play.

A good kick is required if the dog is snapping at your ankles.

Advertisement