Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stem angle/length and effect on steering?

Options
  • 19-01-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey, wondering can anyone help with this one..

I've a Surly long haul trucker tourer with a 17 degree stem, 110mm.

It handles completely differently (in a bad way), esp when on riding out of the saddle compared to my racer which has an almost flat (angled) stem.

I was wondering would getting a less 'upright' stem do much for the handling? Also if I got a stem with less of an angle would I have to get a shorter one so I'm not stretched out too much?

anyone have a clue about this sort of thing? cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

The change in reach/drop from 17 degrees can be viewed here http://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html The handling will be different due to different frame angles and fork trail:- from Sheldon Brown, Trail is the distance from the contact point of the front wheel with the riding surface to the intersection of the steering axis (head tube) with the surface. The trail is a function of the head angle, the fork rake, and the tire diameter. Trail has a major effect on the handling of a bicycle. More trail increases the bicycle's tendency to steer straight ahead. A bicycle with a largish trail dimension will be very stable, and easy to ride "no hands". A bicycle with a smaller trail dimension will be more manuverable and responsive. With the Surly being a tourer and being built for carrying I'd imagine it is made with a large trail to increase stability so I don't think you'll get it to handle like a road racing bike.

Advertisement