Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should mockler007 be unbanned after his epic performance today?

Options
  • 16-01-2010 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

Rather than harassing the admins with countless PMs I thought it might be appropriate to post a poll that we could then link to.

Mockler007 was acting like a bit of a twat with consistent postings about the superiority of mountain bikes for any application including road cycling. This went on for a while and ended up with a challenge of a race- roadie vs MTB. I believe at one point in the thread Mockler took offence and abused a poster who questioned him about selling his mountain bike before the race.

He has today done the unthinkable by backing up his posts and not only turning up at the start line for the race but actually beating the roadie in question, El Tonto. This was mainly due to the latter overdosing on smug before the start of the race and having an absolutely chronic sense of direction despite repeated posts that a GPS would be useless for him as he "never gets lost."

IMG_0027.JPG

For this we must salute Mockler007 as our new hero.

I have PMed Gordon over it and he is not keen on unbanning Mockler. Very unkeen in fact. He is banned until 13-03-2010 which is a bit extreme, others got far lesser bans. I believe BuffyBot was the actual admin doing the banning, I only found this out after PMing Gordon or I would have PMed it.

If the recipient of the abusive PM by any chance a change of heart after today's epic achievement maybe they could let Gordon and BuffyBot know... I of course understand if you don't want to do this, after all I didn't see the PM in question.

EDIT: For whatever reason I don't seem to be able to add a poll- could a mod add one with yes or no. Thanks.

Should mockler007 be unbanned after his epic performance today? 24 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 24 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Yes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think Mockler has gained legendary status here, should be lifted purely on this.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I think Mockler deserves a second chance.
    Please un-ban him Mod's

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

For entertainment value 10/10. 13th March far too long to wait for Mockler007s next post, unban the Mockler:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

Haha, I'm impressed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

He shouldn't be unbanned. He was banned for abusing other members via PM which shouldn't be tolerated. This isn't the first time he's been banned (he's had multiple bans so far) and he doesn't seem to be learning anything from his bans. I predict he will be perm banned at some stage.

Whatever he does in real life should have no bearing or impact on what happens to him on boards. We have rules and moderators for a reason and they should be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

Fair play to mockler, didn't think he'd get close on his mountain bike.

Not sure he should be unbanned though, don't think him winning the race will make it up to whoever he abused really.

Hope this event is repeated again sometime though, couldn't go today due to study, will definitely be out next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

penexpers wrote: »
    Whatever he does in real life should have no bearing or impact on what happens to him on boards. We have rules and moderators for a reason and they should be respected.
    I challenge you to a utility bike race. You can choose the load, we both have to carry equivalent amounts in kilos across a challenging course. What say you?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,047 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Poll added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Jaysus I must say, fair play to the lad. Did he win by much and how long a distance was the race. Unban would be nice but probably wont happen. Whenever he comes back he deserves an appreciation thread. Like this one I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I did vote to get him unbanned because what he did was pretty spectacular but he did get banned for a long time. He has to have said something pretty nasty for this to happen, so I don't think it's for us to have any say in what happens, especially when we don't know what was said in the first place.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am more than happy to support the "petition", but I do agree (and have stated elsewhere) that this is really dependent on whoever reported him in the first place making a plea on his behalf. Again, I could fully understand if they were not happy to do this.

Ultimately he did break the rules, and the Admins are not going to bend those rules in his favour unless a "special" case can be made (which should be more than simply a few of us saying he should be unbanned when we were not privvy to the exchange which resulted in his ban in the first place).

Prison is full of people claiming to have been wrongly "convicted", but I suspect very few, if any, get their "sentences" overturned. Mockler has put his own case, but I suspect he will need to see out his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Can I add my two cents.

I really did not like Mockler from the get go. His continous anti roadie stance, his clear lack of realising that all 26 letters of the alphabet were within equal reach of all of his fingers, the confrontational approach. I think at one point I grew impatient and said something rude about his character to which he said "Lumen has met me" as a defence. I was shocked that Lumen would tolerate such a character.

Having met him today, I can see that the internet does not always permit people an actual personality. Just look around boards for many examples of people who are taken out of context, or even worse, assume a false persona and start referring to themselves in the third person. Whatever you might say about the man in this internet realm, in the real world (the one that matters) he is a decent guy and showed up today to an event at which most people on this forum (I was one) assumed a total whitewash of epic proportions. Yes, we have rules on boards and rules are necessary for the forum to function, but function does not require a draconian standard like we have here.

I commend blorg on bringing this to public attention, frankly I think it is a laughably extreme ban and seeing how the cycling forum is one of the few forums where people actually get to meet the person behind the posts, I believe that Mocklers actions today show he is a genuine supporter of the boards cycling forum and not some loud mouthed troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

You have too much time on your hands. If this related to real life, fair enough, but it's a post on a message board. If you want to have a say in life, vote in the next general election, otherwise you have a "powerful" idea that is completely irrelevant. But however, we have almost unlimited internet bandwidth these days, so I don't suppose you can cause much harm
    penexpers wrote: »
    He shouldn't be unbanned. He was banned for abusing other members via PM which shouldn't be tolerated. This isn't the first time he's been banned (he's had multiple bans so far) and he doesn't seem to be learning anything from his bans. I predict he will be perm banned at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Like most users I don't know what was in the PM that got him banned, nor do I know the full details of his history of bans - but it sounds quite lengthy.

I found his posts irritating to the point where I felt justified in taking cheap shots at him - which he took in his stride.

When the race was proposed - I thought he'd never show up and anyone on a road bike with a downhill start from Howth would wipe the floor with him.

It's not just that I was wrong on both counts, but he also seems to have contributed to an event that will become a reference point in the history of the forum. He backed up his blustering and the place is a lot more interesting with him around.

C'mon admins, give him a 2nd, 3rd, 4th,...... I mean 10th chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

My view is that he should be unbanned, given that he did raise some cash for SSF.

However in order to maintain order the ban should have a stay of execution. He is unbanned, but any behaviour that would cause him to be banned would incurr a permanent ban - I think that that is fair.

On an aside, my view of abussive PM's is pretty toleraant and I think that most people should HTFU or just press the ignore button. People nowadays are far too touchy, and I think that in general the anonymity of thy web encourages this. SO what if someone abuses you, as long as I am not libelled or slandered I dont really care about what folk say about me. Verbally abuse me all you like. I have too strong an opinion of myself not to allow myself get flustered by the words of someperson that I hard now, let care about. Tuppence worth. BTW I have no idea as to what he said to get such a long ban - but by christ if it was not serious then the banning mod needs his head examined IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

ROK ON wrote: »
    However in order to maintain order the ban should have a stay of execution. He is unbanned, but any behaviour that would cause him to be banned would incurr a permanent ban - I think that that is fair.

I think this probation is a fair response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

no one here, myself included, has any idea what was said and to whom. As much as the sentiments expressed here are well intended, this discussion should be held in feedback - but only once you know what said in that PM IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement