Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Motorway to Dublin

Options
  • 16-01-2010 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jondon

try it its easy just get on at the galway clinic and straight road to dublin, there is a toll near ballinasloe 1.80 euro , saves alot of time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

jondon wrote: »
    try it its easy just get on at the galway clinic and straight road to dublin, there is a toll near ballinasloe 1.80 euro , saves alot of time

Sorry to be pedantic but the toll is actually 1.90!

But yeah it does save a lot of time, you're crossing the shannon before you know it.

I spun of the feker in the bad weather so out of my times on it, 2 were excellent and 1 scared the life out of me.. Great road, Athlone feels like no distance away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

deccurley wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic but the toll is actually 1.90!

But yeah it does save a lot of time, you're crossing the shannon before you know it.

Actually that is being pedantic. And factual. Not that I mind ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I drive the Galway/Athlone stretch almost everyday, driving to Dublin this evening, it's great, and properly signposted, an uncommon thing on Irish roads.

I find the people at the Toll Plaza at Cappataggle so friendly as well, I pass through there at least 8 times a week and every time I get a friendly hello and a bit of chat, nice to meet happy people halfway through my journey!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

There is no possible way to get lost. It's one straight road the whole way to city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pjmn

It's great - Knocknacarra to car park in Dublin Airport in 2 hours 10 mins - heaven....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Its a fantastic bit of tarmac. But I grind my teeth every time I pass the TOLL booth. Its not right. Not right at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Its a fantastic bit of tarmac. But I grind my teeth every time I pass the TOLL booth. Its not right. Not right at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

? It was hardly ever going to be free, was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭LeBash

hoody wrote: »
    ? It was hardly ever going to be free, was it?

I think they fact we pay road tax, that is way over the odds, should mean its free. Seen as that money is certainly not going into maintaining the roads, it should be used for free shinny new ones :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Bummer

Spadina wrote: »
    I drive the Galway/Athlone stretch almost everyday, driving to Dublin this evening, it's great, and properly signposted, an uncommon thing on Irish roads.

I find the people at the Toll Plaza at Cappataggle so friendly as well, I pass through there at least 8 times a week and every time I get a friendly hello and a bit of chat, nice to meet happy people halfway through my journey!

They are all dead on at it...always a smile for ya...

Also when u mentioned tarmac There seems to be a different surface from balinasloe to athlone...I prefare the balinasloe to Galway city tarmac...Reason been is the water seems to Soak of better from balinsloe to Galway...Anyone else notice this on a really wet day!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

deccurley wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic but the toll is actually 1.90!

what are the tolls all the way to dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The tolls are €7.80 one way apparently.
    More info in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,335 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Magnus wrote: »
    The tolls are €7.80 one way apparently.
    More info in this thread.

Is it not €4.80 in tolls to Dublin city one way?

what are the tolls all the way to dublin?

If you're going to Dublin city centre from Galway its €1.90 at Cappataggle, then a further €2.90 at Enfield, giving you a total of €4.80 - if you're going to the airport via the M50 it's another 3.00 giving you a total of €7.80 (assuming you're driving a regular car and that you're not registered with e-flow for the M50 toll bridge).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

€1.90 near Ballinasloe and €2.90 on the M4 Kinnegad toll, actually that's 4.80 yeah. Think I included the M50 toll up to the airport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

thanks for your swift replies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Bummer wrote: »

Also when u mentioned tarmac There seems to be a different surface from balinasloe to athlone...I prefare the balinasloe to Galway city tarmac...Reason been is the water seems to Soak of better from balinsloe to Galway...Anyone else notice this on a really wet day!!

Yes, I definately noticed this. The 'grip' from Ballinasloe-Athlone is not as good as Athlone-Dublin. Glad to hear that Galway-Ballinasloe is better as I haven't been on it yet. I never feel as safe on the Bal-Ath stretch & I can hear it in the tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

• Advertisement

lovelyhome wrote: »

You can exit at 19 different junctions on the motorway, including Athenry, Loughrea, 2 exits for Ballinasloe, 6 exits for Athlone, one for Moate and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 markhf

Exactly where is the entrance to the motorway in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Either the Coolagh roundabout by the Galway clinic on the N6 or the N18 by the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Here's the satellite imagery...(although the picture is a good few months old so the entrance is only being built. But you can see where the clinic down the road is).

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=53.2857425&lon=-8.9785767&z=15&l=0&m=s&v=9

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Bummer wrote: »

trish23 wrote: »
    Yes, I definately noticed this. The 'grip' from Ballinasloe-Athlone is not as good as Athlone-Dublin. Glad to hear that Galway-Ballinasloe is better as I haven't been on it yet. I never feel as safe on the Bal-Ath stretch & I can hear it in the tyres.

Your definitely not going crazy anyways, infact its very well observed they are built by two different companies

Galway -> Balinasloe stretch was build by a Joint Venture Called M6 Construction (or something like that), consisting of Hegarthy Construction and two spanish companies.

Ballinasloe to Athlone stretch was built by a different Joint Venture called Siac-Wills, consisting of Siac construction and Wills bros engineering (i think thats their name anyways)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,831 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm guessing you mean getting nervous as soon as you hit Dublin city centre. Can kinda sympathise, but it still wouldn't put me off doing the trip (if I had a car ;) )

Anyone know if there's a updated edition of the Ordinance Survey (or anyone else's, for that matter) printed road maps. On-line is fine for sitting at home, but an up-to-date ish book is really comforting one the road. I had to get from Dublin up to Rush 12 months ago, and as my partner was car-sick he didn't want to go on the M50. 'Twas a nightmare trying to figure out where to go instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Please God ,tell me your joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

Galway -> Balinasloe stretch was build by a Joint Venture Called M6 Construction (or something like that), consisting of Hegarthy Construction and two spanish companies.

just to clarify hegarty constuction had nothing to do with the road construction they were just over the building of the toll plaza

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Got a few pictures last week between Doughiska and Athenry. Picture quality isn't the best because the light was poor and it was sleeting.

As people have already said, the surface on the Galway-Ballinasloe stretch is noticeably better than Ballinasloe-Athlone (and most other sections of motorway & other types of road in the country). Galway-Ballinasloe is a lot flatter and has less curves than Ballinasloe-Athlone also.
    KevR wrote: »
    Click thumbnails for full size images.

Heading East from Doughiska to Athenry.

Doughiska:
    th_P1010978.jpg th_P1010980.jpg

Rock cutting near Doughiska:
    th_P1010981.jpg th_P1010982.jpg

Signage approaching Junction 19/start of motorway:
    th_P1010983.jpg th_P1010984.jpg

Getting nearer J19:
    th_P1010985.jpg th_P1010987.jpg

At Junction 19/start of motorway: