Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How has Waterford City avoided ANY snow?!

Options
  • 04-01-2010 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Its been a very cold few weeks for all of us, Waterford included, but I'm just interested in figuring out the science behind why Waterford and other areas of the south coast consistently avoids the snow that other areas of the country get from time to time?

I drove to Wexford town at the weekend and there was a 20 minute transition on the drive from the sharp clear cold and ice in Waterford to the snow covered fields around Wexford.

I'd love to know how/why it happens?

Comments

Regarding Wexford.
    It was wind direction.
    It's exposed to the NE wind that was on the irish sea where the showers formed.
    Waterford is further west and actually sheltered by wexford.
    Coastal waterford is similar to Belmullet and Valentia,it is practically in the atlantic even if it is st Georges channel.
    Snow usually doesn't come from the south ...so snookered there.
    When it does come from the south , it has to meet really really cold air to snow with little mixing of warmer.
    Unfortunately thats as rare as hens teeth with waterfords location as it's first in line for the mixing...like malin head way at the other side of the country.

Theres nothing technical in it really..

The very cold 850 temps at the end of the week and perhaps even earlier might produce something though - this spell is deepening the risk for waterford because of it's unusual longevity obviously.

Advertisement