Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RyanAirs Michael O@Leary is a feminist and knows how to empower women

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The NCWI were silent on this
    In economy no frills; in business class it'll all be free - including the blowjobs.
    Michael O'Leary
    The Ryanair chief's plans for a transatlantic service, 2008.

but then you had
    I changed the first nappy in the hospital and, called upon in emergency, I will do another. I'm not one of these people who will be there doing the full-time father lark.
    Michael O'Leary
    On being a father, The Times, London, June 2006.

and this
    I'm taking the Ryanair approach to it: subcontracting everything.
    Michael O'Leary
    On being a father and raising children, The Times, London, June 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

I couldn't care even the tiniest bit about the calendar, I don't see why absolutely everything to do with women has to be analysed for political meaning. Fire brigades release calendars all the time and no-one cares.

994 wrote: »
    I couldn't care even the tiniest bit about the calendar, I don't see why absolutely everything to do with women has to be analysed for political meaning. Fire brigades release calendars all the time and no-one cares.

I am not analysising just very amused.

But now you say it the Dublin Fire Brigade have cancelled their Charity Calender

Topless calendar axed in fire brigade bust-up

By Caitlin McBride

Saturday November 07 2009

An annual fundraising calendar featuring shirtless firemen has been cancelled this year after a disagreement between firefighters and the Dublin Fire Brigade.
    The popular calendar began three years ago featuring 12 of Dublin's hunkiest heroes baring their chests in the name of charity.
    But the 2010 calendar has been put on ice as a source revealed that the Dublin Fire Brigade officials did not want any firefighters posing without their shirts on.
    A firefighter who did not want to be named said: "It's being blocked this year; management doesn't want the firemen being photographed without their shirts.
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/topless-calendar-axed-in-fire-brigade-bustup-1936910.html
    And it was for charity

Over the last three years, a whopping €330,000 has been raised for various charities and participating firefighters have expressed their concern for the charities that will suffer as a result.

MO'L: "We have paternity leave but it's a bloody joke. It is bull**** legislation. You need a couple of days off because you've had a baby but this nonsensical rubbish that you're entitled to days off [parental leave] for the first six years of a baby's life. Go and get a bloody job -- get a life."

The great man speaketh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

And shut up!

He's a legend...

• Advertisement

Dickerty wrote: »

He's a legend...

I agree - I had the pleasure of being checked in by him years back - cool guy

In the USA he is much admired as a businessman and innovator for taking a US business model and transfering it sucessfully to europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Empowering women by snapping them in bikinis? Is empowering that all women, or just the hot ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Is empowering that all women, or just the hot ones?

Empowering the ones that want to be empowered by getting their photographs taken in bikini's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

CDfm wrote: »
    Dublin Fire Brigade have cancelled their Charity Calender

Ah no really, that was a great calender! lol :p

Got one for my mother last year! :D

Jemmy wrote: »
    Ah no really, that was a great calender! lol :p

Got one for my mother last year! :D

Oh dear - your Ma objectifies Firemen - any unexplained chippan fires:D

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Empowering the ones that want to be empowered by getting their photographs taken in bikini's.

Are you volunteering to do a boardsie callenter:pac:

I would, but I think people want 'Nutz style glamour.'.. Which I can't stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Pretty sure if someone like me wanted to be "empowered" in the sane way, they wouldn't be too obliging...

Fair play to the girls involved, it's their choice to do it, but to make out like it's advancing feminism is just preposterous. It's yet more objectification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

shellyboo wrote: »
    Pretty sure if someone like me wanted to be "empowered" in the sane way, they wouldn't be too obliging...

Fair play to the girls involved, it's their choice to do it, but to make out like it's advancing feminism is just preposterous. It's yet more objectification.

As is the fireman one but it is for charity and people like to do silly things for charity

I would, but I think people want 'Nutz style glamour.'.. Which I can't stand.

Or it could be tasteful like this:pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055192287&highlight=lads+ladies+lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Oh dear - your Ma objectifies Firemen - any unexplained chippan fires:D

Now that you mention it... Dammit never twigged! Explains alot... :p
    As is the fireman one but it is for charity and people like to do silly things for charity

Hey if the firemen want to do silly things for charity who are we to stop them! :D
    €330,000 in the past three years for our deserving charities.
    In 2008 we were the world's most profitable Charity Calendar!!!

Good work boys keep it up. :P

Back on topic tho, isn't the Ryanair one a charity thing as well? So tbh were is the harm? If the girls have no problem doing it let them on, it's not like it doesn't happen everyday somewhere! Of course they are going to be size zero blondes no doubt, but what's new!

Women don't objectify, they 'appreciate'...

Ducks + runs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

On a serious(ish) note, an attractive man is not undermined by his own attractiveness. Women are, unfortunately.

On the whole, I have no issue with the thing. These girls enjoyed doing it, fair play. But if you want to make it serious, make it political, pretend it's doing something good for womankind - Micheal O'Leary can fcuk right off with his empowerment. There's nothing liberating about hot women being valued, praised, shown off for being hot. Not one little thing.

Personal empowerment, yes. Female empowerment? No.

Jemmy wrote: »

Back on topic tho, isn't the Ryanair one a charity thing as well? So tbh were is the harm? If the girls have no problem doing it let them on, it's not like it doesn't happen everyday somewhere! Of course they are going to be size zero blondes no doubt, but what's new!

It is - burkas FTW :D

I just love the Zombie Calenders on this Telegraph Gallery - Lolled at the Mormon Muffin Mummy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/6459430/2010-calendars-nude-charity-and-bizarre-calendars-available-for-next-year.html

this is the caption for image 9 for a coffin making company
    ..Now Polish casket experts Lindner have branded them grave robbers and say they came up with the calendar idea years ago...
    Picture: CEN [EUROPICS]

• Advertisement

I apologise for going off topic.

MOL went futher in 2008 protecting the calenders participants - here is a quote from the Gurardian 7/12/08
    'Loony groups like the various Institutes for Ugly Women are simply jealous of our good-looking girls,' says its chief executive, Michael O'Leary.

Here is my particular favourite - if the thought of blow jobs being sold on airlines offends you turn away now

This Green TD Paul Gogarty has all the skills to be Michaels stand in if he ever wants to take a break

Of course, our Michael comes from a long line of Public Relations experts. Did you know his namesake from Inchigeela won a Victoria Cross in 1915. See even back then there was a Michael O'Leary conquering Europe.

http://www.freewebs.com/ireland1418/vcwinnersgallantry.htm

Well his Dad helped the British Army recruit with this nugget of wisdom.
    “Mr. O’Leary, senior, father of the famous V.C., speaking in the Inchigeela district, urged the young men to join the British army. ‘If you don’t’, he told them, ‘the Germans will come here and will do to you what the English have been doing for the last seven hundred years’.”

Priceless.

I weill bet Mrs Santa works for Ryanair

Ryanair’s Michael O’Leary said:

We also offer Europe’s most beautiful girls, and we are proud that the voluntary efforts of our cabin crew will raise some €100,000 for charity. We have the best looking cabin crew in Europe, over 700 of whom applied to take part in this year’s calendar and we continue to defend the rights of girls (and boys) to strip off for charity if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i think this thread has died a bit of a death CDfm despite your best efforts at resusitation :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement