Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardian: How cycling lessons transformed me...

Options
  • 18-12-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

"How cycling lessons transformed me from a cautious to a confident rider"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2009/dec/18/cycling-lessons-confident-rider

Would Irish Councils be better off spending money on subsidising cycling lessons than on providing "facilities" like those around the Beckett Bridge? Maybe a publicity campaign aimed at cyclists and other road users to explain why it's advisable not to hug the kerb etc. would be good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

I think so.

What I'd like to see is an ad campaign along the lines of:

Cyclists - do X or Y because its safer for you.
    Motorists - Cyclists are doing X and Y and not riding on the bike lane because its safer for them and you're less likely to crash into them resulting in insurance claims etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

Also, having done 'defensive driving' lessons and tests a few years after passing my L-test undoubtedly made me a safer motorist (and cyclist too). I was shocked to discover the bad habits I had - I suspect many cyclists would benefit similarly from training.

FWIW the councils in London run subsidised bike-maintenance and cycling courses and it seems to work well for those that attend them (a minority, I suspect).

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

The council have already initiated training schemes for schools and are in the process of training trainers for adults. The guys from Bikeability in the UK were over last month doing a training course and I believe they will be over again in the new year.
    Dublin city council has also apparently earmarked a bunch of cash to subisidise adult training courses next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Sounds good, dubmess. I didn't hear anything about that - I'll have to keep an eye out for courses next year.

I do think driving helped make me a safer cyclist (and vice versa). It'd be good if they offered some incentives. Like a small discount off your car insurance if you pass a cycling proficiency test, or a slightly better discount on the cycle to work scheme for anyone with a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

Yeah they haven't really advertised it much, which seems a shame. Here's the link to the youth training they're offering:
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/RoadSafety/Pages/SafeCycling.aspx

Having spoken with the head of the road safety unit they are definitely keen to have fully qualified trainers for adults as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sounds like a good idea. I consider myself a pretty good commuter cyclist, but starting out it was quite intimidating and a lot of things that I knew from driving did not translate well to 2 wheels. As mentioned in other threads, some of the lemming like cycling seen around this time of year (no lights, RLJ, all the usual topics) makes you wonder how some people don't realise how inadequate some of their cycling is.

So much money wasted on useless cycle lanes that get dug up, then need "maintenance".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

RLJ??

RLJ = Red Light Jumping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

when I started cycling all those years ago, I never had anyone show me how to do this or that, you just start by and leasrn by experience, pretty quickly I learned how to ride safely (MY SAFETY) and to hell with what the 'rules' say my safety trump rules at any given moment, most are thought up by peoploe independant of the people who the rules are supposed to protect so...

and kerb hugging is asking for trouble..lots of it.

Ive never used a bike lane around where I live, the orange type councils put down to get more budget for next year use at your own death wish type, and now look they've made it optional not mandatory anymore!

your safety and awareness and a little bit of courtesy to other road users (not at the expense of your safety) is all you need to cycle around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I did a council run safety cycling course while in Primary school (some 15 years ago maybe) but it definitely helped things. Ran for an hour or two after school for a few weeks. It covered emergency stops, corners, signalling, passing cars while checking windows/wing mirrors and making sure to not be within the width of the down while passing. I don't think there was such thing as a cycle lane in Dublin at the time other than the one at Clontarf so I don't remember those getting covered.

I would definitely recommend something like this to anyone new to cycling. Lots of the things they teach such as road position would be ideal. As would the "take slow controlled movements on the road, moving three metres across the road because of a pot hole will get you squashed!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Interesting fact. London cab drivers have a very low rate of accidents per kms travelled.One theory (and it makes good sense to me) is that they have developed better defensive driving skills while doing the "knowledge" for a few years on two wheels.(Mopeds now-used to be pushbikes mostly).

Good cyclists make safer motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Al Wright

Confident positioning on the road is the key, skills we used to have , see attached photo from 1961.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Al Wright wrote: »
    Confident positioning on the road is the key, skills we used to have , see attached photo from 1961.

That is a glorious scene! I love the bored boy in the centre, resting his elbow on his handlebars, exasperated at how long the damn light sequence is! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Is that Dame Street before the Central Bank plaza was created?

Great photo.

Great picture -thanks. I'm going to add it to the vintage thread (hope that's ok).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Excellent photo, thanks. Can't see that sort of thing happening any more, which is a pity.

concussion wrote: »
    Excellent photo, thanks. Can't see that sort of thing happening any more, which is a pity.

If we can train enough assertive cyclists I would be hopeful that such sights will once again be commonplace.Onward to cycling utopia.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Al Wright

Yes, Dame St I think, two more from the series, one view from Ld.Edward St the other view from O'Connell bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

papac wrote: »
    If we can train enough assertive cyclists I would be hopeful that such sights will once again be commonplace.Onward to cycling utopia.:D

Completely agree - far too many commuters are content to line up down the left-hand side of a line of car traffic. Get out in front and be visible!

Get out in front and be visible!
    When I was a courier in London in the eighties (there were a lot more couriers then-less fax machines-no internet))there would alway be a line of motorbikes and pushbikes at the head of the queue.If a car beeped we would shuffle around so all the pushbikes were in front of him-and saunter off slowly when the lights changed:DAmazing how you can bully motorists if there are enough of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Al Wright wrote: »
    Yes, Dame St I think,

It's definitely the north side of Dame Street- the street just out of shot to the left is Temple Lane South, then Crow Street and Fownes Street. The buildings beyond Fownes Street in your photo have now been replaced by the Central Bank Plaza.

The two clinchers are the building with the fancy oriel window (second from left- now a hairdresser) and the Venetian Gothic style Hibernian Insurance building by Deane & Woodward on the corner of Fownes Street (now a pub/hotel).

See here.

(Phone box still in the same place too! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

i think I can see my bicycle.

Advertisement