Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTT compatibility

Options
  • 04-11-2002 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

Here in Holland they will be rolling out DTT next year, and I was wondering if the ON Digital/ITV Digital boxes would be able to receive Dutch digital tv by retuning to the network??

Are different countries' DTT networks compatible with each other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Probabily not.

It would make IDTV cheaper it they were.

Ironically less compatible than Analog NTSC, PAL and Secam.

I think the UK is UK specific.
    Spain, Sweden & the non-existent Irish system supposed to be similar to each other (but I wouldn't bet on a box from Sweden working in Spain etc).

It's a mess. Why they could not agree on one system is baffling, esp. since Digital Satellite (apart from HDTV and MPEG4 video streaming) is world wide compatible apart from encryption.

(Though you still need an NTSC TV for NTSC DVBs unless you got a very fancy receiver).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

It's ridiculous, it has to be said.

What about DAB, is that standard. Don't tell me that if I'm driving from one country to another in the future that I have to change my car radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

DAB is standard, Europe-wide.

DTT broadcast technology isnt that different around the continent, just the software on the boxes, I think. I cant imagine that the EBU tech heads would release different DTT standards across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes DAB is standard, but we don't have it
    NO DTT isn't standard. If we DID have it the same box WILL not work for IRL and UK.
    It isn't just SW.
    Apart from QAM and not all boxes able to do any QAM rate, the Digital signals are not infact really transmitted on a single carrier!
    You probabily don't want the detail explianation, but ther are LOTS of ways to make Digital incompatible.

A PC based card if you changed the waveband, in theory could work for SpanishDTT, UK DTT, NTL cable Digital, Chorus MMDS Digital and Digital Satellite. But the Texas DSP chip would need totally different software, this is a whole separate issue to OS/GUI /EPG software and a Sagem box (D-MMDS) or Pace DTT UK for instance cant be reprogrammed in sense of a PC. Even the PC you can't do it your self. They sell specific products with not just the tuner head changed.

Advertisement