Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Meetup. >> THE AFTERMATH <<

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Ok, so I'm there on 24th if it's early enough - will meet my ex-boss for dinner that evening so can't stay forever. And will have a day of borrowing a camera - seems like quite a lot of you have more than enough - and would be happy to get one roll of free film. At least I'll pay for the development so that I don't feel like a complete sponger (if that's the right word for it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Id love to go! I have several film cameras so can share them out. I will have to beg my boss for the day off though, cos I'm supposed to be working that day :(

I have a half frame yashica samurai, an eos 30 with a couple of nice lenses, a 110 camera and a lubitel (designed for 120 but very cool with 35mm), Oh an a lomo fisheye too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

There is one Flexaret 6x6 that I could lend to somebody careful, who owns their own light meter ;-)
    And I have still few rolls of the free film in the fridge I will bring with me, so no worries about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Id love to go! I have several film cameras so can share them out. I will have to beg my boss for the day off though, cos I'm supposed to be working that day :(

I have a half frame yashica samurai, an eos 30 with a couple of nice lenses, a 110 camera and a lubitel (designed for 120 but very cool with 35mm), Oh an a lomo fisheye too.

I'm bringing my half frame olympus pen and would love to see your little Yashica.

I don't know whether to bring 2 or 3 cameras yet

Hey Duff, no worries! Im goin to ring my boss now and see if there is any chance of a saturday off..... fingers crossed cos this sounds like fun!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

ThOnda wrote: »
    There is one Flexaret 6x6 that I could lend to somebody careful, who owns their own light meter ;-)
    And I have still few rolls of the free film in the fridge I will bring with me, so no worries about that.

would you do a show n tell ??:cool::cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i have a lomo fisheye, diane, f90 and some olympus job thats got acracked info screen...so fun will be had with it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

hmnnn.... voting open until tomorrow but this has been better viewing than a general election :D

There was a general swing initially with one of the two options, then it swung completely in the opposite direction, and now things are in a situation where 2 or so votes one way or the other could decide the fate of where we'll end up. Also worth mentioning that this has gotten quite a good response so assuming everyone who has voted turns up or even allowing for a few drop outs, it has the makings of a well attended event.

So call for last votes should there be anyone else interested in tagging along.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'll try and make if if humberklog gives me good news when I meet him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 fanuel

Hi there,

I've just read this idea...

Fantastic deed!!!! :)
    I do mostly analog....from 35 to Large format.
    Can I please join you guys?
    I'll have 1 35mm RF, 1 6x6 and 1 Holga.
    I'd be happy to land somebody a Canon Eos 1n, but I have to be sure that somebody will be carrying the monster all day, is rather heavy if added to the rest.

• Advertisement

fanuel wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've just read this idea...

Fantastic deed!!!! :)
    I do mostly analog....from 35 to Large format.
    Can I please join you guys?
    I'll have 1 35mm RF, 1 6x6 and 1 Holga.
    I'd be happy to land somebody a Canon Eos 1n, but I have to be sure that somebody will be carrying the monster all day, is rather heavy if added to the rest.

All welcome (lurkers and all!) so long as you aren't a crazed axe murderer looking for a next victim or something like that ;) Infact a good opportunity to come out of the shadows and join in. We might even make a regular poster out of you yet :cool:

Voting above continues until about 2:50pm IIRC. At that time we will know where we're going to spend our time and can start firming up a bit as to what to be doing with ourselves. Very democratic indeed eh / secret ballot and all that.

Great! :)
    I'm any of the above, but I really enjoy watching Criminal Minds and CSI....and sometimes I found myself supporting the Killer....does that count? :D:cool::P

any way...any of you, let me know if you'd like me to bring the Canon 1n along....bare in mind that you want it, you carry it ;)

see ya'll saturday

thanks

Yay! I swapped days off so now I can come! I'll bring several cameras so anyone is welcome to use them. Waiting on an Olympus trip to arrive from ebay too so I'll hopefully bring that too. Lookin forward to it :) See ya saturday!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

If I can finish a roll of high ISO colour film tonight I'll be bringing 3 cameras :)

Ok so, in the great spirit of internet democracy - it would appear to be a "walk on the wild side" (the Temple Bar street exploration option) that the forum has settled on. With a potential crew of 20 - it makes a lot of photographers and a lot of film potentially being shot on the day.

Right, a bit of research now and i'll revert later with a draft outline for people, suggested timings, etc. It will be a little bit of free flow for the afternoon but if anyone has particular must see/must shoot places in the general vicinity then pop up a post on it. All suggestions welcome.

I know the temple bar markets (of which I think there are three different ones) might make interesting shooting places. Anything else grab ye?

shall we agree on a time and place first?

I think being parochial here (as i mentioned in an earlier post), my personal plan is to abandon my young un probably at about 12:30/12:45 in town which is about 15/20 minutes from Temple Bar area. Then I want to find something to munch(!) at which point I expect to go wandering / walking at about 1:30 -> 1:45 - So perhaps a 2pm meet for people?

That would give about 2 hours of wandering / shooting /cupa break for people and for anyone who wanted to visit the National Photographic Archive to see the "If ever you go to Dublin town" exhibition as explained in post #24 could end up there at about 4pm or continue on wandering/exploring/shooting if rain and cold hasn't bitten too hard.

Something tells me that a visit to a fine drinking establishment may be on for some of the attendees who are local/or public transport peeps :D For me I need to be back to pick up the young un at shortly after five so that knocks that idea on the head.

If 2pm isn't a great start time / appeal to people, then let me know - i'm only facilitating. If the broad consensus doesn't agree with my personal availability, then the broad consensus will win out and basically feic me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

2pm on Saturday sounds very good to me.

2pm is good for me too

2pm sounds good :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Sold! 2pm is good. Where abouts exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

away for the weekend ... :( -- ah well next one ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Gonna try to see if I can get someone to mind my little one. If so, I'm there at 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

99.7% IN, should be there and will bring several extra rolls of the "free film".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

sineadw wrote: »
    Gonna try to see if I can get someone to mind my little one. If so, I'm there at 2 :)

I'll bring your Rangefinder if you are. Save me a trip out somewhere.

I'm popping my daughter in a drawer for the day. Drawers are handy.

Thinking of bringing Brownie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I think being parochial here (as i mentioned in an earlier post), my personal plan is to abandon my young un probably at about 12:30/12:45 in town which is about 15/20 minutes from Temple Bar area. <snip> all the fun stuff </snip>
    *sigh* If only I could do the same thing. At 20 months, he can just about find his way home from the swan centre in rathmines, let alone the city centre :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I'm going to try and taga long to this also if ye don't mind. I don't have a film camera yet but I hope to buy some cheapo thing tomorrow if possible. Can I also take a roll of the free film? Hopefully I'll have a camera to put it in!!

Whereabouts in Temple Bar are ye going to meet??

Ok, the following is resulting from my desktop research, googling, etc... hence i'm expecting a little err in some of the logic. Also, being a country lad I won't be acting as guide so print a google map of the area, bring a satnav (on your phone is cool), or follow someone who does know the place.

I'm expecting there to be lots of people here that are way more familiar with the area and what to shoot/where to visit in the area so please pipe up and make this as interesting an exploration as possible.

Also, the afternoon is easy in format folks and meant for people to enjoy a decent walk with decent photography opportunities on the streets - if someone wants to do something else, shoot something else, or head into a particular spot, and join up with the group(s) later then that's fine. No one will be on a leash so don't feel inhibited if the Itinerary doesn't quite grab ya. I won't be offended ;)

First point -

National Photographic Archive, Meeting House Square, Temple Bar. Current Exhibition: "If ever you go to Dublin town", Saturday: 10am - 2pm

If interested in visiting this exhibition as flagged previously then you must visit before the walk about which is scheduled to begin at 2pm.

It Starts -

2pm - Assemble/Meet up at Meeting House Square, Temple Bar outside the National Photographic Archive (note: there is also the "gallery of photography" in Meeting House Square so lets make sure were all at the right place - local knowledge here to clarify would be useful people)

http://www.nli.ie/en/intro/how-to-find-us.aspx

Depending on numbers it may be useful to break into smaller groups. If the 20 who replied to the poll get around to turning up, then it would be a bloody big group to be walking around and experience from other photo walks are such that large groups may create a control issue.

2.10pm - 2.50pm Visiting the markets(Saturday Opening);

Temple bar food market, (10am - 4:30pm), Meeting House Square.
    Temple bar book market, (11am - 6:00pm), Temple Bar Square.
    Designer Mart at Cow's Lane, (10am - 5:00pm), The outdoor Mart is located off Lord Edward Street.

I understand the markets are open but may be subject to weather.

2.50pm - Return to Smock Alley Café for buy your own refreshments.

This place does a mean latte and chocolate brownies for about €5 if i recall correctly. The other interesting thing about here is that it has a small amount of exhibition space (basically around the café walls). This is the place pete<add numbers> exhibited some images before. I've gleaned from the Temple Bar cultural trust web site that this space is available free of charge http://www.templebar.ie/home_nav_33_c_2_e_9.html so i'm thinking some of you people may want to enquire about the possibility of hosting a personal exhibition. Yeah, that would be so cool. According to the trust's web site a guy called Cormac Kenny is the owner and is the one to talk to about it.

Location: 3/4 Smock Alley Court, West Essex Street, Old City Temple Bar, Dublin 8

3.10pm - hit the streets.

If you head down to towards the liffey you'll have the quay's to shoot and down as far as the ha'penny bridge.
    Return back towards Dame Street and wander down a little towards Trinity College - view towards college green, central bank, and across to entrance of Trinity College
    Walking back up Dame Street (away from Trinity College), as far as Dublin Castle - Shooting opportunities Castle Entrance Gates, Courtyard, and Building Exteriors.
    Continue up Dame Street as far as Christchurch Cathedral
    Returning towards Temple Bar via Fishamble Street, Essex Street West and East

4.30pm - disperse
    hit the pub, run for the bus, collect the young un, or whatever it is that you'll be compelled to do.

A Suggested visit - time permitting or a good place to go (possibly) should the weather be atrocious;

Gallery of Photography, Meeting House Square, Temple Bar.

Exhibition :: Simon Burch | Under a Grey Sky
    The Gallery of Photography is proud to present the premiere showing of Under a Grey Sky, a magnificent new body of work by the Irish photographer, Simon Burch. Made over four years, the work explores the rain-soaked peatlands of Ireland’s central plain, the most intensively industrialised landscape in the country.

http://galleryofphotography.ie/exhibitions/burch.html

Right, that's the idea at the moment. I could really do with some input here folks if you are familiar with the area. This is likely to change based on feedback from people so make sure to check back before Saturday.

Thanks.

Ballyman wrote: »
    I'm going to try and taga long to this also if ye don't mind. I don't have a film camera yet but I hope to buy some cheapo thing tomorrow if possible. Can I also take a roll of the free film? Hopefully I'll have a camera to put it in!!

If you don't get sorted, there are lots of offers of loans for the afternoon - check the previous posts on the thread.
    Whereabouts in Temple Bar are ye going to meet??

See post above.

• Advertisement

You will be familiar with katiemaloe at this stage from participation on the forum. She's going to be on the exploration / film meet up on Saturday. As it turns out, she also works in the camera centre in Blanchardstown and previously had let people know of an offer on film development.

Should anyone be interested - no one is compelled or obliged in any shape or form - she is happy to organise the film develop, print and cd for €5 taking the film canisters at the end of the evening and people can collect if in blancharstown, or she'll organise to post if not. Being the suspicious git that I am ;) I did check the over the counter price on this and it works out as €6.99 for develop and print and €2.99 extra for the cd. So we're receiving about a 50% discount here on over the counter prices which is why i'm happy to report it to the forum.

It's of no consequence to her if she doesn't take any additional film back to be developed so it is a genuine offer. She's attending the meet up in a personal capacity.

Some of you may have better offers available elsewhere (for example if near Artane then there is a good offer on 5 rolls develop and cd). Some of you may develop yourselves. So this then obviously isn't for you. But if you are like me and paying the normal €9 - €10 per roll then you may want to talk business with her on the day. Regular posters (non commercial) feel free to post up other offers that you may be aware of (again, just check they are genuine).

Thanks Kate.

Advertisement