Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing Ban from European Union Forum

Options
  • 29-09-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

I have been banned from the European Union Forum for persisten dishonesty, with particular reference to claims I made about the legal guarantees received by the Irish Government.

Now, I was confronted about by claims and told I would be banned if I persisted. From then on I was very careful to make it clear that I was not 100% sure about my claim, and would actually wait until the person who had threatened me with a ban had responded to a question of mine directly rlating to my claims. I believe that were I allowed to further my discussion with ther person who had banned me, the same person who I was questioning in order to get a fuller understanding of the whole issue, then I would have either been able to prove my honesty, or the my honest misunderstanding. I in no way whatsoever, sought to mislead anyone, and indeed only ever came to these online forums with the intention of getting a better understanding of the all round issues, as indeed have most people I would assume.

There were other instances of "dishonesty" levelled at me. which I have clearly and categorically refuted, and indeed have shown to be untrue, in a PM to the person who banned me. Indeed, I would be quite happy to engage in an open discussion to publicly refute those instances of "dishonesty". Now, I do not want to question anyone's integrity, but there is a particular conflict of interest with regard to the person who banned me, namely they have been an open proponent of a Yes vote while I have been an open proponent of a no vote - despite a nagging doubt, only recently cleared.

I do not for a second suggest that the reason that this person banned me was due to my opposing their viewpoint, however, human nature being what it is, I do believe that perhaps due to a person holding a particular perspoective on something, it can colour their perspective on other perspectives, especially those in direct opposition. This is human nature, and again, I am not claiming this was a conscious decision.

I do however wish to appeal the ban, and am wondering if there is a means to do so. I beleive that I have something to add to the debate on Lisbon and will continue to present my understanding of the issues as I honestly see them.

Regards,
    mangaroosh

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Link to the comment that got you banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Link to the comment that got you banned?

unfortunately, due to the ban, I cannot access the forum to provide the link.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

If you log out, you can still access the forum as a guest.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    If you log out, you can still access the forum as a guest.

massive call!

Here are the posts in their sequential order:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62305265&postcount=38
    In this post I am told that it has been pointed out to me, that the legal guarantees are in fact legal. I feel it is important to point out that this has been pointed out by a Yes proponent. This does not call into question the validity of the claim, but can be used as a basis for questioning the claim. As further debate on the issue ensues, I believe that while it may have been pointed out, it was never discussed (directly with me) nor clarified, nor was there any attempt to point me in the direction of a previous clarification.

This is my subsequent response, which as you can see, I clearly ask a question with regard to the legal guarantees, in order to seek clarification.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62305306&postcount=41

Here is a subsequent clarification, which I subsequently challenge, for further clarification.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62305373&postcount=45

Here is my next post. The point at the end is the only one that pertains to the banning offence. In it I make it clear that I have to wait for further clarification (from the person who has threatened me with the ban), before categorically stating that my position is correct. I make it clear that I am not 100% sure, but that I believe in what I have said. This shows, I feel, that this is not an attempt at dishonesty, actually quite the opposite, and highlights the possibility that I honestly misunderstood the complex legal guarantees, for that reason, they are inherently complex. I do feel however, I could still make a strong case that shows that instead of misunderstanding them, I have one of a possible number of perceptions in relation to them, none of which are within the remit of anyone here to state categorically whether they are 100% correct, or not.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62305444&postcount=48

Here you can see that the final comment that results in the ban, is actually a question seeking further clarification. It may be a fairly incredulous question that pre-supposes the answer, however, it could quite easily have been answered with a further clarification, as when the issue is considered fully, it is actually rather confusing .

Also referenced is a previous argument I made – with respect to the Cóir poster, which I have backed up logically and rationally, but human nature being what it is, I would suspect that confirmation bias may have played a role in determining the validity of the argument.
    It is claimed that my argument is not valid, but I can quite clearly and rationally show how it is, and indeed tried to do so via PM.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62305465&postcount=50

I can assure you, that my sole purpose is to develop a better understanding of all the issues surrounding the Lisbon Treaty, and considering that the issues go to the very heart of how the future political landscape will be shaped, not only in this country, but in this continent, I believe that everyone who intends to vote should seriously challenge all the assumptions they are being asked to make, and indeed that they subconsciously hold. I have endeavoured to put my point across logically and rationally, and have sought to further my understanding of the issues in an open an honest manner, and I will endeavour to do so in the future. I also seek to express my understanding in an open and honest manner, sometimes this can lead to honest misunderstanding, as the issues are indeed quite complex, not least the legal ones, but I can assure you, I have nothing whatsoever to gain one way or another, and certainly not by being dishonest.

I do hope that you will seriously consider this and re-instate my account asap, as I believe I still have much to offer the debate, not least my further understanding of the legal guarantees – which appears to be quite a bone of contention.

Many thanks,
    Colin (mangaroosh)

• Advertisement
Advertisement