Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit by a BMW

Options
  • 03-09-2009 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Got knocked off me bike on Kevin.St this morning. About 8.45/8.50. Did anyone see it by any chance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

'68 wrote:
    Got knocked off me bike on Kevin.St this morning. About 8.45/8.50. Did anyone see it by any chance?

Was it that spectacular? ;)just messin'

How did it happen, did you get hurt? ... how is the bike? Hope you're ok...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

'68 wrote:
    Try posting in the Dublin City (and also Motoring) forum also

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

nothing major. but the guy pulled into the "cycle lane" on top of me, just outside the Garda station. it wasnt at the junction but about 10 meters before it. we went into the station but the Garda seemed more concerned about the guys car than the anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Go back to where it happened, there maybe cctv cameras pointing at the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

sorry to hear that, hope you're ok!

I take it the BMW driver didn't bother stopping? Sometimes you have to wonder about the humanity of that type of person :(

• Advertisement

He stopped alright, to dish out some abuse. Said I crashed into the back of him. With any luck the scratches on the SIDE of his shiny car will convince him otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

maybe txt metro and get them to post in their letters section, someone reading that, mite get in touch wit you, bound to be few ppl at the bus stop across the road at the newsagents

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I reckon I would have just missed you -was cycling that area at that time this am, but was busy trying to to be killed by a golf that thought indicating was for other people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

'68 wrote:
    He stopped alright, to dish out some abuse. Said I crashed into the back of him. With any luck the scratches on the SIDE of his shiny car will convince him otherwise.

I cycle by there daily, usually going right at the junction and have to move up very early. Did he actually hit you in the cycle lane and then dish out abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The guy in the BMW is more important than you, it is up to you to get the hell out of his way. Cycle on the footpad if you don't like it.

"A man riding a bicycle to work at age 26 may count himself a failure."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

blorg wrote: »
    A man riding a bicycle to work at age 26 may count himself a failure.

In fairness, a man riding a bicycle to work at any age may count himself as a failure.

I know I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Sorry just missed it too. Was he pulling in to stop? There is a slight curve in the road there on kevin street and cars regularly drift into the cycle lane - I have given a few drivers the evils after obliviously wandering into the lane for a few feet.

A lot of people react angrily defensively when they know they did something dangerous and are challenged. Hope they reflect on their driving later...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

I didn't see it....were you heading away from Stephen's Green or towards it? The new bicycle lane heading away is quite dangerous, as flatface has said, with the left turn on the curve on the road, motorists tend to assume you are taking the left turn and blast you out of it when going on straight. I have started indicating right if I'm going straight there.

Thanks for the replies and sorry for dragging up an old thread.
    It was indeed at that slight bend outside the Garda station. Happens all the time but I generally manage to avoid the carnage.
    No major injuries to me or the bike, sore shoulder, scraped up shifters and rear mech. Still, the doc gave me some Valium so I'm happy, happy and lazy.

Thanks again for the concern and comments and @blorg, I'm 29 :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thats quite close to where Aline Barros was run over - she's now in a wheelchair, probably for life.

Stick an e-mail into the Herald AM for witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

Victor wrote: »
    Thats quite close to where Aline Barros was run over - she's now in a wheelchair, probably for life.
    Please don't say things like that.....that's the kind of thing that makes me think I should just get the train :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

how is cycling to work a failure, why drive well i mean sit in a car when you can get in to work with no stress, i cycle in the city alot, and my bike cost more than some cars, nearly 5gs, so who's a failure, , i have a car but i don't use it to drive a few miles to city, to pay parking, for it to get banged in the car park, or your guages robbed eyc hmmmm i never have a problem with cars, taxis buses,trucks etc i love it when someone pulls out in front of me, my avid juicies can stop on a dime no matter the conditions, its a buzz and a rush, and i enjoy every min of it, if you cant hack the trills and spills get the bus, and remember irish ppl cant drive, fact, they still haven't discovered what wing mirrors are yet, so don't expect them to look, i got quick reflexes and if i feel a car is to close i hop the kerb, only if the path is free, to many cars with retards behind the wheel, and bikes aswell, have seen stupid cyclists pull out infront of cars and blame the driver and vice versa, learn how to use the roads Ireland, and im irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Humour fail

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

mockler007 wrote: »
    ...its a buzz and a rush, and i enjoy every min of it, if you cant hack the trills and spills get the bus...

Where are you commuting? Kabul?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

mockler007 wrote: »
    how is cycling to work a failure, why drive well i mean sit in a car when you can get in to work with no stress, i cycle in the city alot, and my bike cost more than some cars, nearly 5gs, so who's a failure, , i have a car but i don't use it to drive a few miles to city, to pay parking, for it to get banged in the car park, or your guages robbed eyc hmmmm i never have a problem with cars, taxis buses,trucks etc i love it when someone pulls out in front of me, my avid juicies can stop on a dime no matter the conditions, its a buzz and a rush, and i enjoy every min of it, if you cant hack the trills and spills get the bus, and remember irish ppl cant drive, fact, they still haven't discovered what wing mirrors are yet, so don't expect them to look, i got quick reflexes and if i feel a car is to close i hop the kerb, only if the path is free, to many cars with retards behind the wheel, and bikes aswell, have seen stupid cyclists pull out infront of cars and blame the driver and vice versa, learn how to use the roads Ireland, and im irish

The guy who said that currently has 8ish bikes and doesn't own a car so i don't think he meant it in the slightest. So deep breath and count to 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

alfalad wrote: »
    The guy who said that currently has 8ish bikes and doesn't own a car so i don't think he meant it in the slightest.

Given his recent record, hearing Blorg was getting behind the wheel of a car is one of the few things that would stop me cycling around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

rottenhat wrote: »
    Given his recent record, hearing Blorg was getting behind the wheel of a car is one of the few things that would stop me cycling around Dublin.

That is true from what I read here he seems to always be recovering from his latest crash. So make that 3 bikes now as the rest have prob been written off.

Advertisement