Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Megadeth Tune

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭_Arctic_

A friend has a copy and he told me it was good, but not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

I think it's easily the best they've done since Countdown.

I was hearing it was either the best album or on a par with Rust in Peace. So my hopes for it were a bit to high to begin with :pac:

Still a great album which I will no doubt be listening to a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Right I'm in the process of listening to the album now - Im going to post my track by track review

1 - Dialectic Chaos (instrumental):

As the name suggests, the track is a bit chaotic. The riffs are quite stock, but definetly Megadeth. Sounds a bit like "The system has failed" in places

2 - This Day We Fight:

Sounds very like the title track from united abominations. Some great guitar interludes. Fist clench ing Megadeth riffing, and solid drumming. I like this track!

3 - 44 minutes

Im liking the intro to this! Heavy riffing with almost spoken vocals. Guitar lick at 01:39 in is awesome! Again with the united abominations feel in this track. Great guitar solo at 02:40

4 - 1320

Very So far so good so what feel to the intro. Had heard a bit of this track bfore so i knew what i was expecting! Great track - par for teh course megadeth song with lots of guitar licks intermixed with mustaines snarling vocals - which dont seem to have deteriorated with age. Liking the quick drum lick at 02:30 and the following twin guitar solo. AWESOME! Very like a freidman-mustaine collaberation of old

5 - Bite the Hand

Great heavy but catchy riff to begin the track. Oddly enough the lyrics mention the name of track 1. Very stock track tbh. Great vocals but the lyrics are quite unimaginative - i'm at 03:20 and this feels like the weakest track on the album so far. The song is closed out with a catchy guitar solo/drum beat mix which is possibly the best part of the song

6 - Bodies

What a contrast! This track begins witha bite and keeps going with the catchy heavy riff. Power chords mixed with a clearly audible bass line. I like what seems to be the backbone of the verses, its a trifecta of powerchord licks, very catchy. Thje guitar part at 02:06 seems in this same format. I like the change of pace at 03:06. Fades out at the end. All in all a strong track.

7 -Endgame

Begins a bit like return to hangar for the first few seconds. Sounds almost like cryptic writings from roughly 00:30 to 01:00, then changes to a "TSHF" style. Mustaine seems to be sticking to the tried and tested megadeth "format" of fast, almost staccato guitar chords. All in all another catchy, all metal track. Guitar solo starting at 02:53 is my favourite part so far, however its followed by mustaines un subtle political BS :( which thankfully there hasnt been much of so far. Also liking the slow guitar part starting at 05:20 till fade out.

8- The hardest part of letting go ... sealed with a kiss

The start of this ( this next line will seem like heresy from a self confessed mustaine fanboy like myself) almost sounds like metallica's unforgiven 3. It seemslike mustaine having another attempt at an "a toute le monde" type song, mixed with 10,000 times goodbye. Guitar kicks in at 01:45, mixed with what sounds like an electronica backing instrument for about 30 seconds. I'd be interested to find mustaines inspiration for this song, the lyrics are very, very a-typical of megadeth. Quite a weak track

9 - Head crusher

Had heard this explosive guitar driven track weeks ago. Epic burst of mustaine guitar at the start. There is a bit of a "kick the chair" vibe to this track in places. As i have probably said on this forum before, the song is musically excellent, but the lyrics are very, very cheesy and stock. Power riff beginning at 02:09 sounds great. Vocals kicikning in at 02:36 sound very much like a megadeth track from the older days, but the name escapes me!

10 - How the story ends

Begins with a catchy power chord sequence till 00:26. Mustaines voice sounds a bit strained at the start of the vocals that follow. The riff actually sounds like the "i creep across the land" section of creeping death by metallica, in parts anyway(eg 03:06). Weird subtle keyboard part at 02:18 for a short piece. Song isnt the best lyrically but then, most megadeth songs arent anyway. Catchy guitar part at 04:10 to close

11- The right to go insane

Starts witha bass riff, then a guitar part which sounds very like "sad but true" by metallica in parts. Catchy vocals and staccato riffs mixture in the verse. A bit sing songy in the chorus.Liking guitar solo from 03:38 onwards. Fast thrash at its best, bringing the album to an abrupt end.

Favourite track: Endgame & The right to go insane (closely followed by headcrusher)
    Weakest track: The hardest part of letting go - sealed with a kiss
    Verdict: Not the best Megadeth album to date but certainly not their worst. The only megadeth albums noticibly better are in the late 80's early 90's, and this is certainly better than the corresponding Metallica album (death magnetic). All in all 8/10.

\m/

Well guys, the album's out tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Well guys, the album's out tomorrow!

Or you have it today if you pre ordered it from Amazon. :D

It arrived with the new albums from Muse and Porcupine tree in my letter box this afternoon.

PT are on at the moment, but Megadeth will be up next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

The video for Head Crusher was released the other day :pac:

The album is getting better with every listen. It's brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

The video for Head Crusher was released the other day :pac:

The album is getting better with every listen. It's brilliant :D
    And true to megadeth form the video is CRINGE worthy :p. Its a good thing the song is awesome!

Kess73 wrote: »
    Or you have it today if you pre ordered it from Amazon. :D

It arrived with the new albums from Muse and Porcupine tree in my letter box this afternoon.

PT are on at the moment, but Megadeth will be up next.
    Nah, i had it last week! (look at the review)

But the release date is tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have a few listens of the album under my belt now, with it playing in the background at the moment as well.

I would defo have to agree with Max in that it is nowhere near their best, but that it is better than anything they have released since Youthanasia.

Lots of nods, musically, to Rust in Peace and So Far , So Good , So What.. in it.

Lyrically it can be cringeworthy at times, but as has been already said that has never been Dave's strong point anyway.

It is no classic album but is is not simply an average album either.

The obvious band to compare this release to is Metallica, and it is a few notches better than Death Magnetic to my ears.

Maybe a better band to compare it to would be another band from that era who has released an album in recent times. Testament.

In terms of quality it is much closer with The Formation Of Damnation than it is with DM.

Solid album, well worth a listen to up loud through good speakers.

7/10 for me.

After many many listens i can say i love this album:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement