Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Wind Blows on RTER1

Options
  • 19-08-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    There's a very nice little radio show on RTE Radio 1 on a Saturday evening at 8pm called South Wind Blows. It's only on for an hour and the presenter Philip King broadcasts it from the Dingle Peninsula. It's a very pleasant show with a good mix of folk/trad/world music and a bit of everything thrown in.
    They don't have any podcasts but they have an archive of all their older shows. Is there any way to download these as an MP3 file so they can be listened to on an Ipod.
    By the way, the show is well worth a listen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

Firstly, you need to google for StreamBoxVCR Suite 2, download and install.

Right click on the link on the RTE site and save the .smil file. Open the file with Notepad and you should see lots of info, but look for a link like this:
    rtsp://od2.rte.ie/2009/0523/23052009rte-southwindblows.ra

Copy the link and go to StreamVCR and click Edit->Paste Link and wait for file to download.

Open Streambox Ripper, drop the .ra file onto it, click Convert and select the bitrates etc and let it run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Wow, thanks Apogee. That's fantastic info. I'll have a go at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

really great show and pity its not on for longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Sorry for bumping this thread...

I love this show, a pity alright that its not on for 2 hours instead of just the 1. Really good mix of music and I like the idea that it is presented from the heart of west Kerry, with Philip King usually commenting that he can see the atlantic ocean waves from his studio! Gives it a really nice vibe, and Kings dulcit tones are quiet relaxing too :D

I didnt realise that its been on for years, hope it continues for a long time yet. I understand they are also behind the "Other Voices" music series on RTE. Fair play to Philip King, he's done a lot for good Irish music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Data_Quest

Best show on RTE radio IMO. Would be great if RTE would extend the time and have it on later in the evening and run it 3 or 4 nights per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

really enjoyed this show

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FredaB

This guy has the most annoying voice on radio We were just talking about annoying DJ's when everyone turned at once and said 'that guy' and eveyone said they had to tun him as they could not listen to him!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

This is a great show, Big fan of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Is it just me or has Philip King......... been............overdoing.............. the.......... pregnant............. pauses............... a........... bit............. too.............. much........... lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Is it just me or has Philip King......... been............overdoing.............. the.......... pregnant............. pauses............... a........... bit............. too.............. much........... lately?
    It might be just you.

I think he has been like that for a long time. I suspect that he was always like that, but the more one hears him, the more annoying his mannerisms become.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It might be just you.

I think he has been like that for a long time. I suspect that he was always like that, but the more one hears him, the more annoying his mannerisms become.

It seems to me that this affectation seems to be becoming more pronounced over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

The best show on radio IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It the whispering, almost whistling at times that really bugs me.. Is he trying to give an impression of the south wind or what..

And you shouldn't buy all the guff about the weather and scenery in West Kerry. A friend of mine heard the programme about a mile away from the studio in Ballydavid. King was describing a beautiful sunny evening. In fact, there was almost 100% cloud cover, visibility was low, and it was pissing rain at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

And you shouldn't buy all the guff about the weather and scenery in West Kerry. A friend of mine heard the programme about a mile away from the studio in Ballydavid. King was describing a beautiful sunny evening. In fact, there was almost 100% cloud cover, visibility was low, and it was pissing rain at the time.

I remember Terry Wogan being caught out on weather mis-represenation when his pre-recorded Saturday show was on Century many years ago
    . If Philip voice tracking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

:D:D It doesn't stop me imagining him recording the show in a little cottage by the sea. Or perhaps it's just jealousy....

It's actually a little studio a stone's throw from Ballydavid pier on Smerwick Harbour. This is the view from a spot about 200 metres away: http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=34&with_photo_id=16043301&order=date_desc&user=2387666. I think the studio has no windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Gah. I wish I hadn't found this thread!! :D

Advertisement