Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,635 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Dont mind the streams for now though!:D

that's well for some zonda but for me and like so many others,ireland has a brutal broadband coverage

some day ill have to invest into somthing like a motorised dish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Zonda999 wrote: »
    It amazes me that in a country as soccer mad as the UK, one cannot watch every match on tv. Sky and ESPN between them should be showing every match in the season. Its technically possible, of course it is, so why is it not done?

Dont mind the streams for now though!:D

Well they want big crowds at the games, hence why the UK get a lot less games shown live than elsewhere.

The streams make it possible to watch any UTD match.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Well they want big crowds at the games, hence why the UK get a lot less games shown live than elsewhere.

The streams make it possible to watch any UTD match.

I can understand uk but why is it effecting ireland ?

we have different rights than uk,do we not ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

+1 Thats why there's never a live 3pm game shown on Saturdays in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Headshot wrote: »

yeah we do which is why Setanta Ireland can show 3pm games. However with the large amount of Irish Sky subs I'd say they'd do everything in their power to block any move for the Irish rights

No, if that was the case, RTE and TV3 would be bidding for the broadcasting rights in Ireland

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    No, if that was the case, RTE and TV3 would be bidding for the broadcasting rights in Ireland

but why do we have 3pm K.O's then and uk dont

yeah and didn't we have games on RTE a few years ago?

what I think is happening is that they are being priced out because the EPL will get more money from Sky with a large amount of Irish subs than they would from RTE or TV3

Liam O wrote: »
    what I think is happening is that they are being priced out because the EPL will get more money from Sky with a large amount of Irish subs than they would from RTE or TV3

I picked up Headshot wrong, when he said: "we have different rights than uk,do we not ?" I thought he was suggesting ROI had different broadcasting packages

I picked up Headshot wrong, when he said: "we have different rights than uk,do we not ?" I thought he was suggesting ROI had different broadcasting packages

afaik we do have different rights but the point I'm making is the the EPL will charge the Irish stations higher than say, some Asian country because a lot of Irish people have Sky and Sky are the biggest injectors of money into the EPL so it's better for them not to upset Sky and screw them over with regards their ROI subscibers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I don't know if anyone here has heard of this but apparently the way the Glazers are going to clear the debt is with a megabuck merchandising deal with Nike. A few years ago we signed a £500m deal with Nike for the club's merchandise which will be up for renewal either next year or the year after that and is expected to be around £750m this time which would mean problem solved. The Glazers are good owners so if they can clear the debt like this I'd be delighted. That would be some coup for them, getting the club basically for free :eek:
    I think whoever you heard this from is misinformed, Utd's deal that they signed with Nike was for £303m which started at the start of the 02/03 season and lasts for 13 years. This means that the deal will be up in 2015, which is 6 years time and I can't see Nike agreeing to more than double what they paid for the current deal with that long left.

afaik we do have different rights

When you say rights, do you mean the same thing as I mean when I say packages?

dor83 wrote: »
    I think whoever you heard this from is misinformed, Utd's deal that they signed with Nike was for £303m which started at the start of the 02/03 season and lasts for 13 years. This means that the deal will be up in 2015, which is 6 years time and I can't see Nike agreeing to more than double what they paid for the current deal with that long left.

ah but that may have been a shirt sponsorship and not a merchandising deal as well. I'm probably wrong though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

when the Glazers took over, the EPL were ****ting themselves that utd would brake away and sell their rights to watch utd

dont know why they didnt

Cos the rest of the premier league would dump them out maybe?

There may be only 4/5 realistic challengers for the league but there is 20 teams in it and Man Utd need them too. To sell out OT every second week rather than in a slimmed down breakaway league is a lot better. Besides the broadcasting contracts already give United/Chelsea ect more money than the rest as they are shown more than Wigan ect and get more money than that.

I don't agree with all the matches not been available on ppv in Ireland especially but a complete contract breakaway wouldn't be tenable, just look at Rangers and Celtic-all the flexing of their muscles in Scotland to break away and have their own tv and as of yet that hasn't materialised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

but why do we have 3pm K.O's then and uk dont

They dont allow it in england as it would ruin the clubs ticket sales, if the match was on tv so many more people would stay at home and watch, its ok to broadcast over in ireland because we cant just get up and walk to a stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,317 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't know if anyone here has heard of this but apparently the way the Glazers are going to clear the debt is with a megabuck merchandising deal with Nike. A few years ago we signed a £500m deal with Nike for the club's merchandise which will be up for renewal either next year or the year after that and is expected to be around £750m this time which would mean problem solved. The Glazers are good owners so if they can clear the debt like this I'd be delighted. That would be some coup for them, getting the club basically for free :eek:

The deal we signed with Nike last time out was closer to 250 or 300million I think, certainly not close to 500million.
    Will not be as simple as that im sure.

What would then happen to our annual profits?
    If the deal was structured the same as it is now, our annual profits would remain the same. We currently don't get money from shirt sales. We get 13million from Nike per season, not a percentage of shirt sales.
    Shane St. wrote: »
    Disappointed not to see Anderson today. I think its his time to step up to the plate. Perhaps fergies saving him for the more scrappy game against burnley away

Fergie had him ready to come on with Owen, but had to change it to Brown to come on for Evans, cause Evans was injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Is anyone else sick of all the injuries Man U seem to get? I think there was one stage last season when the first 16 or so players were actually available for selection. Ugh.

Is anyone else sick of all the injuries Man U seem to get? I think there was one stage last season when the first 16 or so players were actually available for selection. Ugh.

Yeah - we are getting far too many injuries to our defence in particular over the last couple of seasons. We need to start looking at the training and physio stuff - we shouldn't be getting this amount of injuries.

Season has barely even started, and we are looking to be without Neville, Raf, Rio, Vidic and Evans for our next game at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah - we are getting far too many injuries to our defence in particular over the last couple of seasons. We need to start looking at the training and physio stuff - we shouldn't be getting this amount of injuries.

Season has barely even started, and we are looking to be without Neville, Raf, Rio, Vidic and Evans for our next game at least.

It could be just plain bad luck, though you would wonder. Other teams have had similar problems with training regimes causing problems (read something on West Ham before; Roma too apparently).

Rio seems to have become very injury-prone all of a sudden. Well, not injury-pronre as such, I guess when your back starts giving you problems it's a tricky one to remedy (I know it's a thigh strain this time round but last season he was out on a couple of occasions with a back complaint).

Well at least it shows the squad has some depth - without a first-choice back four (aside from Evra and with O'Shea not in his usual position) and still they looked comfortable. Apart from one or two hairy moments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Its all new and scary around here, but the start to the season made it less scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

You can't beat 3 points at the end of the day :D

Fletcher should have made it 2-0 to be honest. Awful miss. :D

interesting that Carrick was dropped for yesterdays game.

Apparently, on ESPN, Fergie was asked why Carrick was not in the squad, to which he replied "You'd have to ask him about that" or something similar.

Wonder if he has been living up to his "Billy Big Bo110cks" nickname again, and Fergie felt he had to slap him down, again.

Apparently, on ESPN, Fergie was asked why Carrick was not in the squad, to which he replied "You'd have to ask him about that" or something similar.

Wonder if he has been living up to his "Billy Big Bo110cks" nickname again, and Fergie felt he had to slap him down, again.

Very possible, on Sky he said something like he wanted to try out a new combination and that he has so many options in the center of midfield that he will be using different combinations for the season.

Sometimes Carrick does require a kick up the arse, but he usually comes back from it very well. Unfortunantly you would hope at this stage in his career he shouldn't need the kick up the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

haven't seen that quote anywhere. link ?

No direct link, have seen it mentioned on a few fansites and forums.

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/michael-carrick-why-werent-you-playing/

• Advertisement

Mitch i think that's fake about carrick

I thought Fergie just said he was trying something different in midfield? Hopefully see him getting a game on Wednesday. Raging cos I put him in my FF team :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Was at the game yesterday, havent had a chance to watch highlights on MOTD2 as yet but my observations were that Valencia constantly drifted inside and there were multiple times that he should have been on the right as an outlet and he was farting around infield. He needs to be told to hug that touchline as much as possible! I thought Fltecher was fantastic apart from that miss at the end of the first half. Toothless in terms of creativity though I thought, trying to thread precise passes through a resolved and packed Brum defence was never going to work! They are not a good team but will not be easily beaten this season with that sort of work ethic, fantastic!

The Brum fans were absolute quality and provided much of the entertainment for me in the 2nd half with improvised chanting which included...

- Its just like being in church (As it was so bloody quiet :mad:)
    - 1 Nil and you still wont sing !
    - You're supposed to be at home

A few other good ones as well but I wont post them on a family forum like this :D

I got the new utd away jersey

way better than the home one

We were crying out for someone to take on a few Brum players and go past them - stretch them a bit and get in behind. Nani was doing it a bit in the first half, we needed more of that.

• Advertisement

I got the new utd away jersey

way better than the home one

Official from a shop or dodgy from a site?

Thinking of getting the away with Anderson or Nani on the back and the white goalkeeper top (if it appears on a dodgy site) with Foster on the back.

Official from a shop or dodgy from a site?

Thinking of getting the away with Anderson or Nani on the back and the white goalkeeper top (if it appears on a dodgy site) with Foster on the back.

offical one I got it

only for 44 euro

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055649754

I ordered the home jersey off of soccer half price. Hopefully it's good enough. :D Not mad on either of the jerseys to be honest. But the keepers jersey is the sh1t!!! Hopefully one of those sites do it and I'll pick one up.

Is that thefootballshirt.com any use. Fairly cheap too, £9 + 3 delivery. Seems to good to be true. :D

edit : Jaysis it's £8 delivery, bit steep. Works out around the same as soccerhalfprice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Any word on Nani?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

If the deal was structured the same as it is now, our annual profits would remain the same. We currently don't get money from shirt sales. We get 13million from Nike per season, not a percentage of shirt sales.

Ah ok cheers for that.

Do Nike have any details of how many shirt sales are made per year by us?

delighted

reserves match on tonight

utd v bolton in the Lancashire senior cup final

Danny Welbeck, Kiko Macheda and Zoran Tosic have been named in a strong Reserves squad to contest the Lancashire Senior Cup Final on Monday evening.

The Reds face Bolton Wanderers at Leyland's County Ground, as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looks to retain the trophy he won in his first competitive game as a manager last summer.

Welbeck and Macheda lead the line as the Reds' second string boasts the rare feature of two strikers, while Cameron Stewart, Magnus Eikrem and Matty James joining Tosic in midfield.

At the back, James Chester skippers a defence of Corry Evans, Craig Cathcart and Joe Dudgeon, in front of England youth goalkeeper Ben Amos.

On the bench, David Gray, Ron-Robert Zieler, Oliver Norwood and Sam Hewson are joined by striker Josh King, who has been in fine pre-season form for United's under-18s.

Monday's match, which will be shown live on MUTV, brings United and Bolton for a third cup final in just over a year. The Reds have beaten the Trotters in the last two Manchester Senior Cup finals - including last May's triumph at the Reebok Stadium.

Prior to last August's victory, a 3-2 thriller against Liverpool, the Reds hadn't won the Lancashire Senior Cup since 1968.

United: Amos; C Evans, Chester, Cathcart, Dudgeon; Stewart, Eikrem, James, Tosic; Macheda, Welbeck.
    Substitutes: Zieler, Gray, Norwood, Hewson, King.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What time is kickoff?

I'd Imagine 7.45/8.00. League games are generally 8 mid week I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Would have liked to see Rob Brady in that squad for tonights match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

James, Tosic, Kiko, Welbeck :)

Spotted this on Yahoo's transfers :
    SPAIN: El Mundo Deportivo have made the big claim that Barcelona are set to bid for Manchester United's defensive behemoth Nemanja Vidic. The Serb has mocked life in the North of England and his wife, Ana, is reportedly keen to move somewhere more Mediterranean in culture. Internazionale were previously linked but they lack the pull to attract someone from United. Barca, however, is a different matter...

I'd imagine it's all BS and I hope he tells his wife to shut it!

nicklauski wrote: »

I believe he already did. I remember everyone rejoicing around here when we had some quote that seemed like a very polite **** you to the wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

nicklauski wrote: »

I wouldn't be so sure that it is BS, his absence from pre season was very strange to me. I hope Utd don't mess up like they did the season Stamm was sold, time is running out if a replacement is required.

The Muppet wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure that it is BS, his absence from pre season was very strange to me. I hope Utd don't mess up like they did the season Stamm was sold, time is running out if a replacement is required.

muppet it's total BS

he was injured during preseason

he's not going anywhere

end of

muppet it's total BS

he was injured during preseason

he's not going anywhere

end of

And thats the bottom line. Cos Headshot said so!!!!!!
    :P

LADS!

Got my United jersey (at 2 for my mates) from www.yoursoccershirts.com today.

Cost me €25.50 including postage, name, numbers and patch.

They are not fake, they are the real thing. 100% perfect. My mates who i also bought the shirts for came to get them and they were blown away by the quality.

http://i31.tinypic.com/23ue9ht.jpg
    Colour doesnt look the best on this cuz i had the flash on, its actually the correct colour.
    http://i25.tinypic.com/15xty88.jpg
    Had to give a close up of the sleeve with is 100% accurate, also the prem champs patch.
    http://i32.tinypic.com/73h1tv.jpg
    Not sure if you can see the patterns on the fabric on the back, really nice.
    http://i32.tinypic.com/2hge1kj.jpg

Pics are too huge to so i had to just link.

Looks like decent quality but not real to me.

Tag on the inside of the neck is different than the real ones, and also the badge seems even further out of the V then the real one is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The badge looks to be slightly off kilter on the first pic alright - this is from manchesterunited.com:prd_maxzoom_mufc-55671.jpg

• Advertisement

Ive tried the one in Lifestyle Sports on and the material is the same. As is the tag on the neck, its creased from the way it was posted which is why it looks different.

The badge is lower than it should be, thats the only probelm. You cant get any better for €25.50 :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement