Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubai as a stopover on way to Australia ?

Options
  • 11-07-2009 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi. I'm planning a trip to Australia and wondering if anyone has done Dubai as a stop-over with Emirates or Ethiad ? Would you reccommend it ? . Would love to see the Arabian desert, and do some sand dune rides and stuff and then on to Australia. It will be November I'm thinking of going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You can even do this with Aer Lingus and onwards through sooooo many different airlines.

Cathay Pacific
    Gulf Air
    Singapore Air
    Malaysia
    Air India
    Emirates
    Jet Airways
    South African Airways

All Fly from Dubai to Australia. I used Perth as an arrival destination but if yours in not fear not as most of these connect in some other airport and will go anywhere in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Aer Lingus don't do the Dubai route anymore, but I would highly recommend Dubai as a stopover

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

to go with emirates you would have to get to heathrow first but the flights are very good value all the way the oz, you also get to go in the a380

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭alkev

Emirates via Manchester is cheaper but no a380. A good hotel is the Deira City Center Ibis about 80 euro per night. I stayed there in March and am going back in February 2010. Its 10 Mins from Airport with free shuttle to city centre and Airport also the City tour hop on /off stops just accross the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Etihad fly from Dublin to Abu Dhabi, 40kms up the road from Dubai.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

To all you people who know of Dubai as a stopover; do you know if the duty free is open 24 hours? This weekend I'll be going through there twice, and twice I'll have a 3-4 hour stopover in the middle of the night.
    Would love to get some shopping done or I'll go mad with boredom!

Well I flew with Emirates this weekend, and yes the duty free stayed open.
    I flew Emirates through Gatwick, was great not to have to go near Heathrow.
    Also, the four Emirates planes I was on all had cameras at the front and bottom of the plane so you could see all around you from your seat. Made landing great fun! I would highly recommend them. And they couldn't give me enough wine, although I know that is standard on a lot of flights nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Deffo, Emirates are the shiz!

The food is better than I've had in some restaurants! The orangey desert, mmmmmmmmmm!!!

OP, I go to Dubai regulary and was there when my friends made a stopover on their way back to Oz, with Etihad

Etihad actually fly to Abu Dhabi, then it's a 1 hour bus ride to Dubai

Slight pain in the ass, but on the plus you check ur bag in with them a day early on the way back to Abu Dhabi

Anyways, I'd highly recommend Emirates, as they're amazo, and land in Dubai airport

How long were u planning to stopover??

November would be great weather-wise

If you wanna see the desert, then defo do a desert safari, they're amazin!

Im back over in 2 weeks, think ill do the overnight one this time

There's a few theme parks

2 really good water parks [Wild Wadi and the new one at Atlantis]

Honestly though, one of the best things to do is just stroll around sight-seeing, esp at night
    It's got one of them "city that never sleeps" vibes

And BK opens til 4am :D chicken WHOPPERs all the way!

And I havent even mentioned shopping! They're rediculous amounts of shops

But defo check out Al Karama, and haggle away for some great bargains

Defo defo defo worth the stopover!

Mods: I'm not Sheikh Zayed, I swear! :rolleyes: :P

Hey Zayed, one question before I book my flights - what about prices there?
    Like, would a person on a student budget be able to go on this desert safari? From what I've seen of the place I think I'd need to bring my own sandwiches from home to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

The regular desert safari is about 60 euro per adult

But the day lasts about 6 hours, and theres a huge buffet dinner at the campsite and all drinks are free

Makeup of the day:
    Collected from ur hotel, with other guests
    Head out to the desert
    Stop at camp for refreshments as 4x4's have tyres deflated for Dune Bashing [deadly buzz!]
    Break in the middle of the desert at Sunset for some great photos!
    Head to the campsite, have some dinner
    Bellydancer comes on for a while, gets everyone boogyin!
    Other stuff to do at the campsite: Local clothes to wear, shisha, Henna
    Most have Camel Rides and Quads
    Some of the days include Sand-surfing

So, it is a bit pricey, but you do get a lot for your money, and its an amazing experience

Tour Dubai has a few touristy stuff to do with approx prices, but shop around!

Also, most info desks in the numerous shopping malls have free info

One more thing you HAVE to do if you're in Dubai on a sunday night, Movies Under the Stars @ Wafi shopping mall!!!!

They have a roofless bar on the top of the mall, and every sunday, they pick an actor or genre and play 2 films on a projector screen, and everyone flakes out on giant Beanie Bags, its deadly!!

Its free in, but food + drinks are pricey so go to Carrefour or a garage and bring ur own stuff!

Ah here, I should defo write a tour guide book! :D

I'll be there from Aug 1st > 9th if anyones around!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement