Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best value Cheap Turbo Diesel Hatchback....?

Options
  • 18-07-2009 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what you guys reckon would be the best value for money turbo diesel out there at the minute? preferably a hatchback.

Something thats cheap to buy at the minute sub €5k, but still looks good, isn't too old, has decent power to it, 120bhp min, and isn't gonna give too much trouble over a substantial period.

Something that will take the commuter run in its stride but not be really boring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

draffodx wrote: »
    Just wondering what you guys reckon would be the best value for money turbo diesel out there at the minute? preferably a hatchback.

Something thats cheap to buy at the minute sub €5k, but still looks good, isn't too old, has decent power to it, 120bhp min, and isn't gonna give too much trouble over a substantial period.

Something that will take the commuter run in its stride but not be really boring?

Actually in shock from you asking that :D?

I would say a 1.9 tdi Golf but this has a better engine and is a little bit stylish.

A coupe but not hatchback here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ferris wrote: »
    Actually in shock from you asking that :D?

I would say a 1.9 tdi Golf but this has a better engine and is a little bit stylish.

A coupe but not hatchback here.

Have to get something for driving a commuter route in anticipation of getting a job :(

On the plus side it'll be complimented by a twin turbo Rx7 for driving everywhere else :D (hopefully)

Should have said I'd rather not get a Golf, looking for something different.

The 406 is lovely but the 2.2 engine pushes the tax too high and out of the cheap bracket that I'm trying to stick to.

The 147 is a nice one though and something I hadn't thought about, definitely gonna have a look into them now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

You'd easily get a Pug 306 1.9 Turbo diesel with that budget

15619_a.jpg

Nforce wrote: »
    You'd easily get a Pug 306 1.9 Turbo diesel with that budget

15619_a.jpg

I cant though cos if I started looking at 306's I'd simply end up buying a GTI-6 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

Don't buy a golf they are a pile of poooh, soft clutch, soft fly wheel parts alone €750 and will go handy. Had a passat same bits soft out.

Opel astra or opel vectra cheap to fix, don't break down and if needs be, you can get second hand parts no bother. Even if you're stuck and has time you can put Vauxhall parts into them and they are third of the price just have to import them is all.

Never had one but Toyota Avensis meant to be dynamite. Bit slow despite what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I cant though cos if I started looking at 306's I'd simply end up buying a GTI-6 :D

You actually probably wouldn't, considering what you're coming from.

Ford Focus 1.8D's are cheap-ish and relatively plentiful and probably as reliable as a VW T-diddly-I

• Registered Users Posts: 73,434 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

SEAT Leon TDI?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    SEAT Leon TDI?

Ara jaysus...

In that case Octavia T-diddly-I.

sorry, I meant an early Civic IMA. :D

cept they're slow and rarely get near the manufacturers claimed mpg....

let the games begin

nah seriousy, the old shape Leon is a handsome car, it doesn't scream bargain basement the way an Octavia Mk1 does, and the interior is the same design as the A3.

mabey-big.jpg

JHMEG wrote: »
    You actually probably wouldn't, considering what you're coming from.

Ford Focus 1.8D's are cheap-ish and relatively plentiful and probably as reliable as a VW T-diddly-I

True a HDI would probably be a decent enough car.

Yeh I was thinking about looking at a diesel Focus, what sort of power output do they come in?
    SEAT Leon TDI?

Yeh, I like them, they seem to be fairly pricey though - http://www.carzone.ie/search/SEAT/Leon/1.9-TDI-/200840190232508/advert?channel=CARS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

Your seat can suffer from the same problem too difference is the parts are rebadged as seat and are cheaper.

Had 2 focus diesel vans in work not good one went back and was never to be seen again, having problems with the cpu causing the thing to loose power and be hard unreal on diesel. Don't get me wrong they are a nice looking car. The petrols are brilliant because they have a system where if they overheat they drop down on to 3 cylinders so the head won't blow.

Yeh, I like them, they seem to be fairly pricey though -

Probably plenty of them across the water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Sure If it's petrol ya want....there was a VW Caddy with a VR6 transplant up for sale recently on Vagdrivers :D

Probably plenty of them across the water

Your not wrong there

1119143-8.jpg

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1119143.htm

That one makes me want to up my budget significantly!

the old shape Leon is a handsome car, it doesn't scream bargain basement the way an Octavia Mk1 does,
    It's the noise and smoke I'd be *not* in favour of.

I like the Leon a lot, probably a better Golf than the Golf, but that 1.9 engine dates back to the 1890s...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Surprised nobody's mentioned this...bit of a Q car too in my humble opinion!
    This one's over budget but food for thought all the same.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Fabia/VRS-TDi-/200927194462671/advert?channel=CARS[/URL]

It's a Skoda Fabia VRS TDI. I'd have one, but then again I'm not a badge snob.

Yeh I was thinking about the fabia, I'm not a badge snob either but I just dont like the look of them, would I ever get an Octavia Vrs in budget anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Yeh I was thinking about the fabia, I'm not a badge snob either but I just dont like the look of them, would I ever get an Octavia Vrs in budget anytime soon?

Wasn't suggesting you were. They don't look much but I'd get great satisfaction from the looks on Beemer and Benz drivers' faces as I boost by them on back roads. They're surprisingly quick. Anyway, just a thought. The one in my previous link is particularly tempting although I'd be getting a HPI check just to be sure.

Yeh very good point there coolbeans, unfortunately the only Vrs Fabias or Octavias in Ireland seem to be around the 7k mark

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

how about a Mondeo Tdci 130 bhp?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

madmac187 wrote: »
    Your seat can suffer from the same problem too difference is the parts are rebadged as seat and are cheaper.

The parts are all labelled "AUDI VW SEAT SKODA"

pick up a leon would be a lot cheaper over the in the UK, but there as rare as hens teeth over here. What about the ibiza??

link

benj wrote: »

had a very happy few days in a Mondeo 130 ebony a few years back, surprisingly swift, 6 speed box, nice handling, and remarkably good on fuel considering how it was driven.

Bit too repmobile though.

benj wrote: »

I'd rather get a hatchback though
    The parts are all labelled "AUDI VW SEAT SKODA"

pick up a leon would be a lot cheaper over the in the UK, but there as rare as hens teeth over here. What about the ibiza??

link

The ibiza suffers the same as the fabia, it just simply doesn't look good
    had a very happy few days in a Mondeo 130 ebony a few years back, surprisingly swift, 6 speed box, nice handling, and remarkably good on fuel considering how it was driven.

Bit too repmobile though.

Yeh its not what I'm after anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd rather get a hatchback though

The Mondeo is available as a hatchback. Most in the UK are.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Mondeo is available as a hatchback. Most in the UK are.

3 door?

I always liked the Stilo JTD. later ones had most issues ironed out. they're very good looking, have loads of gizmos, and not too common round here.
    Fiat_Stilo_Abarth_jaune.jpg

I've driven the stilo before, mate has one and it wouldn't be for me, would ya get a decent one under 5k anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,291 ✭✭✭✭L1011

At this stage you should be able to, all years seem to have been tarred with the 02/03 ones reliability issues when the ones towards 05 were way more solid.

The petrol Stilos aren't too hot. but the JTD is plenty quick. they're dirt cheap in Ireland if you could find one.

therte's a 03 3dr 115bhp Dynamic JTD for 3750

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/Stilo/1.9-Dies/200928194529051/advert?channel=CARS

so an 05 for 5 wouldn't be out of the question

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    At this stage you should be able to, all years seem to have been tarred with the 02/03 ones reliability issues when the ones towards 05 were way more solid.
    The petrol Stilos aren't too hot. but the JTD is plenty quick. they're dirt cheap in Ireland if you could find one.

therte's a 03 3dr 115bhp Dynamic JTD for 3750

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/Stilo/1.9-Dies/200928194529051/advert?channel=CARS

so an 05 for 5 wouldn't be out of the question

would that 03 suffer the reliability issues? for that price it might be worth considering

Advertisement