Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband and Cisco EPC 2425 Annoyances...

Options
  • 13-07-2009 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello There,

I finally bit the bullet, and moved to UPC. Now when I do the speed test, I get 9.8Meg/s which is excellent for 10M connection.

But I have few issues here:

1. Whenever I go to you tube, movies take ages to download (I still have my 3M BT Broadband, and it's about 5 times faster). Do any of you guys know why that is? Also, any website takes about 5 seconds to show anything, while on the BT line it's instantaneous (I clear the cache every time I am switching connection, so I'm sure nothing is loaded from the cache).

2. I have a problem configuring the SSID... every time I enter anything; it automatically adds UPC to it. For example, I want my SSID to be Hercules... but when I change it, it shows up as UPCHercules... and this is driving me nuts... anyone knows how to get around this stupid thing?

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

On the speed thing, run a speed test on www.speedtest.net and also check it when downloading a big file (<10MB) from somewhere like HEAnet. Do this with a cabled connection to the computer, as the Wifi signal strength can impact overall speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

And on the ssid side, No you cant change the UPC add in on that. It seems to be part of their config boot file the modem recives on start up and cant be changed or removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rikili

Jor_el,

The speed quoted was using Speedtest.net and Ethernet cable. no wireless was used. Down speed: 9910Kbs/ Up speed 960kbs which is very good, but still have problems with youtube!!!! do you thing the traffic to youtube is shaped ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Firmware Name
    	 epc2425-E10-12-v202r12812-090430cs_upc.bin

Software Revision
    	 epc2425-E10-12-v202r12812-090430cs_upc

Without changing the firmware, there's not much you can do about the ssid.
    I wouldn't recommend doing that.

I get lags with the same router.
    Sometimes it can take a page over 2 minutes to open. I end up pinging google and that speeds it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rikili

Terry,

Thanks for your reply... it's helpfull to know that I'm not the only one suffering from this issues (Especially the lags...) I have the exact same firmware as yours. But a firmware upgrade is no where to be found on the net. I hope that UPC are reading these threads, so they know what needs to be done in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

rikili wrote: »
    Terry,

Thanks for your reply... it's helpfull to know that I'm not the only one suffering from this issues (Especially the lags...) I have the exact same firmware as yours. But a firmware upgrade is no where to be found on the net. I hope that UPC are reading these threads, so they know what needs to be done in the near future.

Just thought you should know firmware upgrades for this model are automatic (like the set-top boxes) so if one comes you won't need to find it, it'll just happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Log-on

is there anyway to unlcok the ata ports on the router? i have 20mb ntl but they don't have the phone in my area and i need voip for sky so it would save me buying an ata

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Log-on wrote: »
    is there anyway to unlcok the ata ports on the router? i have 20mb ntl but they don't have the phone in my area and i need voip for sky so it would save me buying an ata
    nope, not a hope unfortunately. UPC's phone service isn't like your traditional consumer voip (ala blueface/skype etc.). you can't do anything with the phone ports unfortunately so an ATA is your best bet, sorry. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Log-on

no worries, btw any idea with the browsing and downloading issue, if i download at 10kb a sec it even delays my webpages ALOT.. i know its a common accordance with the modem!

Advertisement