Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get quakers puffed wheat cereal?

Options
  • 26-06-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi All

Im looking to buy some quakers puffed wheat cereal, Iused to be able to buy them some years ago in Tesco's (longford).
    Quackers website lists something that looks like it might be the stuff but they dont ship outside US.
    Ebay only has memorabilia.
    When I last bought they were sold in a box with lots of white background showing. They are like golden nuggets but way less sugary and nicer ;)

would love to find somewhere close to galway maybe, but anywhere's good if they can still be got.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Food & Drink

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Wherever it is, it's obviously no longer called "Quaker".

http://www.packagingnews.co.uk/design/news/876336/Dragon-gives-Puffed-Wheat-facelift/

Dragon gives Puffed Wheat a facelift

Jill Park, packagingnews.co.uk, 27 January 2009
    Creative agency Dragon has overhauled the Puffed Wheat brand with the creation of a new masterbrand and packaging design.
    DES_Puffed_Wheat.jpg
    Puffed Wheat was forced to remove all its Quaker branding when it was sold, alongside Sugar Puffs and Harvest Cereal bars, to Big Bear in 2006.
    The subsequent brand identity was a product-led, generic brand.
    Dragon was enlisted to position the cereal "as an all-round cereal", which didn't stray into the slimming category, aimed at the 45-plus target audience.
    The agency drew on the brand idea of "wholeheartedly light" and created The Good Grain Company as the new masterbrand for Puffed Wheat.
    Dragon creative director Chris Barber said the agency's brief was to re-establish Puffed Wheat within the cereal market "giving it the authority and authenticity it deserved".
    The pack features a photographed ear of wheat "transforming into the Puffed Wheat".
    "Puffed Wheat has a loyal army of consumers and we're confident that Dragon's exciting new packaging will alert even more people to the inherent healthiness of this great product," added Honey Monster Foods brand manager John Price.
    Puffed Wheat will be launched in its new packaging this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Damn it I got excited for a moment there, but Im afraid thats not them :(

Thanks for your reply though.

The cereal I remember was light little puffed squares, exectly like the golden nugget cereal but slightly lighter in colour and less sugary.

Im afraid theres not much to go on, as im not even 100% on the name, just going by what I saw on the quaker website.

The box I remember looks nothing like the below however, just the actual cereal

PuffedWheat-Detail.sflb.ashx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Are they not just sugar puffs?

products_sugar-puffs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anyone remember Quaker's Oat Crunchies.

They were our special treat cereal that we had occasionally.

They were little square 'pillows' that floated in the milk.
    I'd love to get them again but haven't seen them in years.

• Advertisement

wolf99 wrote: »
    Damn it I got excited for a moment there, but Im afraid thats not them :(

Thanks for your reply though.

The cereal I remember was light little puffed squares, exectly like the golden nugget cereal but slightly lighter in colour and less sugary.

Im afraid theres not much to go on, as im not even 100% on the name, just going by what I saw on the quaker website.

The box I remember looks nothing like the below however, just the actual cereal

PuffedWheat-Detail.sflb.ashx

They look exactly the same to me, and I remember being force-fed Quaker Puffed Wheat eons ago.
    olaola wrote: »
    Are they not just sugar puffs?

products_sugar-puffs.jpg

Puffed Wheat cereal is the same as Sugar Puffs, but without the sugar.

ah my bad, couldnt see that properly on the pc I was using when saw that, the pic is actually of sugar puffs. :o:o:o

I think i may be thinking of the oat crunchies beer revolution mentioned. dothey still sell them?

This bunch took over the "Quaker" lines but I can't see Oat Krunchies mentioned on their site.

http://www.honeymonster.co.uk/products/

I think that I've seen them around as various supermarkets' own brands, and if I can remember anything specific, I'll post again.:D

I obviously wrongly assumed that all of the Quaker stuff was bought out by the Honey Monster people, because they weren't. My curiosity got the better of me so I asked the HM people what happened to the Oat Krunchies, and got the following reply:

"Thank you for your enquiry about Oat Krunchies. Honey Monster Foods
    actually only acquired Puffed Wheat, Sugar Puffs and Harvest Cheweee
    brands. All the oats and oat based products remained with Quaker Oats.
    I think they still make the product but re branded it Oat Crisp.

Kind Regards

Jackie Brown
    Technical Manager | Honey Monster Foods
    "

I read that Oat Krunchies had a significant salt content, so haven't a clue about the re-branded "Oat Crisp", but there are some people trying to start a "Wispa" type campaign so that Oat Krunchies makes a comeback. They're probably the people living on the edge and dicing with death.

Well I must then join in with said death dicing forthwith, as for living on the edge... I'll stick to my cereal thanks :D
    Ta for the info folks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement