Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet Extender?

Options
  • 19-06-2009 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Looking to get this, it sends you internet signal around the house through the electrical wiring, im on Eircom 3mb broadband using a Netopia 2247-02 router, whats best (and cheapest) as I want to send a signal from the internet socket in the wall (which is connected to a router) through the wiring to my bedroom for a ps3. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Wireless? (Assuming the router is wireless, if not, just get one).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Jaden wrote: »
    Wireless? (Assuming the router is wireless, if not, just get one).

Yeah have a wifi router, signal isnt strong enough for my playstation, too far away, cant move either closer to each other so thought this might be the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Powerline/homeplug devices allow you to use your homes electrical wiring as a network - http://www.dabs.ie/search?q=powerline

kerbdog wrote: »
    Powerline/homeplug devices allow you to use your homes electrical wiring as a network - http://www.dabs.ie/search?q=powerline

Which one is the best (preferably quite cheap too)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I think you have two problems here: the first one is the range, but the second one that will crop up is that Netopia routers don't work well with the PS3 for online gaming (they don't handle a thing called UPnP very well, which is a big stumbling block) It's a pain in the ring when all you want to do is game, and for that reason I'd say if you were going to spend money here, you should get a new DSL modem/router with good range, or maybe get just a wifi router that can use the netopia modem you have. You could get powerline ethernet extenders, which seem to be a very robust technology, but you'll still have a problem with the netopia.

An excellent WiFi router with a very wide antenna range is the Buffallo WHR-HP_G54 http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-g-mimo-performance/whr-hp-g54dd-wireless-g-mimo-performance-router-with-dd-wrt/ (I've linked to one with an alternate linux based firmware pre-installed-gives a lot more features) I have put one of these in my folks' house (4 storeys) and compared to the apple airport that was there before its a revelation in range / speed.

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Which one is the best (preferably quite cheap too)?

Your best just to shop around - they technically all do the same job, just at different speeds. If you want to stream video with no problems then go for the
    200Mbps units, but if its just to browse the net and do a bit of gaming the 85Mbps units would do.

You need a minimum of two units, but you can install as many as you like to give many points. Now, add a simple switch/hub to one of those points and you can connect up lots of wired devices and add a wireless access-point and you can extend your wireless network.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160665 - £55+£10 shipping

If yea have any more questions, let me know.

Dardania wrote: »
    I think you have two problems here: the first one is the range, but the second one that will crop up is that Netopia routers don't work well with the PS3 for online gaming (they don't handle a thing called UPnP very well, which is a big stumbling block) It's a pain in the ring when all you want to do is game, and for that reason I'd say if you were going to spend money here, you should get a new DSL modem/router with good range, or maybe get just a wifi router that can use the netopia modem you have. You could get powerline ethernet extenders, which seem to be a very robust technology, but you'll still have a problem with the netopia.

An excellent WiFi router with a very wide antenna range is the Buffallo WHR-HP_G54 http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-g-mimo-performance/whr-hp-g54dd-wireless-g-mimo-performance-router-with-dd-wrt/ (I've linked to one with an alternate linux based firmware pre-installed-gives a lot more features) I have put one of these in my folks' house (4 storeys) and compared to the apple airport that was there before its a revelation in range / speed.

D

Think I might go for your idea, are they easy to set up with the Eircom Broadband and ps3? Managed to get nat type 1 on the ps3 but I think thats the extent of my wireless knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

+1 for the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT, or the Devolo AVEasy starter kit, I have the Devolo plugs and they work fine, they only add about 3 ms latency.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Think I might go for your idea, are they easy to set up with the Eircom Broadband and ps3? Managed to get nat type 1 on the ps3 but I think thats the extent of my wireless knowledge.

Easy enough - if you've figured out how to get NAT 1 on your PS3, you have the jist of it already!

Basically, what will happen is: your new Buffallo WiFi router will be wired to your Netopia. The Buffallo will create the PPPoE connection to the internet through the Netopia. Your PS3 (and any other devices wired or wireless in your house will connect through the internet through the buffallo.

Config checklist for Netopia (default Web config page: 192.168.1.254)
    Switch off WiFi
    Switch off PPPoE & enable bridging mode (you've done this already if your PS3 can acheive NAT 1)
    Good idea to make sure the firmware on the netopia is up to date while you're at it http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=100&E=0000000000171108628&K=1014&SXI=5&case=9202&branch=4

Config checklist for Buffallo (Default web config page 192.168.1.1)
    Configure WAN connection
    - PPPoE connection to eircom
    Enable WiFi in AP mode
    - Switch on WPA2 security
    Ensure UPnP is switched on

Config Checklist for PS3
    Create automatic wireless connection to Buffallo

D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Dardania wrote: »

D

And I will also second that, I have two setup in a WDS mode (a wireless repeater mode) for spreading wireless signal around the house, the WHR-HP-G54 has a built in radio amplifier which does a great job for range and mix that with the DD-WRT firmware and you can turn up the Transmit power (the power that the signal pumps out of the antennas) to get it a little further although there's ups and downs to that. You can get them from Dabs: http://www.dabs.ie/products/buffalo-wireless-g-mimo-router-with-ddwrt-firmware-4Z6F.html?refs=4294959958-50327

• Advertisement

Further to PMing John, here's a screenshot of how I set my netopia in bridging mode:
    83726.png

and here's what the netopia status page reads when I get the other router to create the PPPoE connection through the Netopia:

83727.png

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Cheers for that Dardania, that all looks pretty simple and standard.

Advertisement