Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick questions re: travelling with gear.

Options
  • 02-06-2009 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys and girls,

i'm heading stateside tomorrow and i'm well equipped with my commputrekker AW to carry my lenses and body.

have a few questions though.

1. is it safe to pack a tripod wrapped in clothes in my suitcase, that will go into the hold? i will be separating the head of the tripod and putting that in bubblewrap, this should suffice yeh?

2. going through security with the camera bag, will i have to take everything out? i will be doing security in dublin and quite possibly heathrow but i'm not changing terminals in heathrow so i'm not sure will i have to do security there again.

3. anyone got some last minute tips on travelling with gear?

my gear is as follows.

450D
    18-55mm
    70-200mm
    100mm
    50mm

hmm the commputrekker AW seems overkill right? well that will hopefully be addressed at my destination ;).

thanks guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You should have no problems.

I travel to the US normally once a year.

Tripod in your luggage isn't a problem at all.

Having all your gear as carry-on should be fine. Some airport security do take extra time and have a look at your gear (JFK normally takes longest), but sometimes I think they are more curious about the camera gear, rather than any security issues (I tend to get chatting to them about the photography I do while they look in my bag).

Last minute tip - pack as much as you can in to your check-in bags (filters, extra bits, etc), so you only have to carry the expensive and valuable parts (and heavy parts).

Have fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have gone through various airports (not the US though) with my gear as hand luggage.

You always have to remove the laptop for seperate screening in security anyway.

When going over to Turin for the half marathon last year we had bags with six (I think) Bodies & lenses. It did not raise an eyebrow.

I also pack Mono & Tripods into checked in luggage. It can be a hassle if you try to take it in hand luggage & some people have been refused. I also put as many bits & bobs in check in bags, like chargers, spare batteries, etc. I have only been questioned once & that was for an 10" Aluminium Bar I have to mount the flash off side. I just had to show it was not a blade & all was OK.

I do like to have a look at the screen as my bag goes through the X-Ray as it looks really cool seeing the gear like that, but I am a bit of a nerd for things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

never had a problem with going through security except for Birmingham coming back from FOI I had a 32" reflector in my bag which I had to take out and unfurl. which was fun for security to re-furl

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

thanks all.

i have everything bar my body and lenses in my check in luggage. i only have the one battery so that's staying in the camera for some window shots :pac:

the tripod and tripod head are wrapped in bubble wrap surrounded by clothes so they should be ok.

thanks again, and hopefully i should be up here posting some shots from my trip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

trishw78 wrote: »
    never had a problem with going through security except for Birmingham coming back from FOI I had a 32" reflector in my bag which I had to take out and unfurl. which was fun for security to re-furl

Yeah, I had the same lol. I completely forgot that it was in my bag.. she showed me the big circular thing on the screen. Puzzled looks by all...then I checked the bag again, whipped out the reflector and all was well again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Paulw wrote: »
    You should have no problems.

I travel to the US normally once a year.

Tripod in your luggage isn't a problem at all.

Having all your gear as carry-on should be fine. Some airport security do take extra time and have a look at your gear (JFK normally takes longest), but sometimes I think they are more curious about the camera gear, rather than any security issues (I tend to get chatting to them about the photography I do while they look in my bag).

Last minute tip - pack as much as you can in to your check-in bags (filters, extra bits, etc), so you only have to carry the expensive and valuable parts (and heavy parts).

Have fun.

Just went to the states a montha ago and PaulW is dead right. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

thanks all.

i have everything bar my body and lenses in my check in luggage. i only have the one battery so that's staying in the camera for some window shots

In fact the US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) now forbid spare Lithium batteries in checked-in luggage so in the case of cameras you are expected to carry all your batteries in your carry-on luggage.

I understand you only have one battery, I'm just pointing out the rule for anyone using this thread as a reference for travelling to the US.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I went to the US last year too and I agree with what's been said.
    Nobody cared what was in the bag - once it was scanned. The guy at Dublin Airport security was interested (on a personal level) in my 70-300mm lens. Was asking what kinda stuff I got up to with it! :pac::D

Oh and REMEMBER TO TAKE OUT YOUR MEMORY CARD THOUGH, AS WHEN SCANNED IT CAN POTENTIALLY BE WIPED CLEAN!

And dont keep any loose batteries in any carry on luggage. They can explode, I was told! Not sure if that's true, though. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Oh and REMEMBER TO TAKE OUT YOUR MEMORY CARD THOUGH, AS WHEN SCANNED IT CAN POTENTIALLY BE WIPED CLEAN!

And dont keep any loose batteries in any carry on luggage. They can explode, I was told! Not sure if that's true, though. :pac:

I've never had a memory card wiped in all my travels, and have never heard that you should take them out. But, if you take them out, where do you put them? Everything is scanned (either by the machine for carry-on, or you, if on your person).

All batteries should be in a case, or in their cover. That should be the way, no matter what you are doing with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have actually seens signs stating that the X-Ray machines will NOT affect Film or Memroy Cards. I think that it is advised that if you are using some very fast films, which tbh are not commonly available, you should take special precautions.

• Advertisement

Just found this FAQ from Kodak

Airport Baggage Scanning Equipment Can Jeopardize Your Unprocessed Film
    Because your pictures are important to you, this information is presented as an alert to travelers carrying unprocessed film. New FAA-certified (Federal Aviation Administration) explosive detection systems are being used in U.S. airports to scan (x-ray) checked baggage. This stronger scanning equipment is also being used in many non-US airports. The new equipment will fog any unprocessed film that passes through the scanner.

The recommendations in this document are valid for all film formats (135, Advanced Photo System [APS], 120/220, sheet films, 400 ft. rolls, ECN in cans, etc.).

Note: X rays from airport scanners don't affect digital camera images or film that has already been processed, i.e. film from which you have received prints, slides, KODAK PHOTO CD Discs, or KODAK Picture CDs.

Advertisement